Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My 680 ck again

Clifford B. ยท 2019-10-25 21:51

Hey fellas; finally got time to git after the 680 again and thank all of you for your previous help. Ten wheeler your measurement on the dip stick made reading the level possible again thanks. Now I have another dilemma, I drained the power shuttle and started to put in the specified 12qts. of fluid only to have the it over fill at 7/8 of the way into the 3rd gallon. When I drained it I only had a gallon or so come out so I sez to myself *** !! and now I seek insight from more experienced people to figger this one out......... On another note the dipstick on this unit has been broken and brazed back together with what looks like an extension between the ends of the break so if any one can give me the dimensions on their dip stick I would greatly appreciate it as well.......... Any ideers on what is wrong or I did wrong here ??????....................Thanks in advance...........Cliff

Replies9
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-10-26 03:22

    Theres 4 quarts in a gallon.. so if u got 2 gallons & 7/8 of the 3rd.. I'd say ur good.?? AND u haven't ran it yet have u.?? Once u run it, u'll probably get the rest in..

  2. #2Clifford B.2019-10-26 05:31

    Thank you Pumpguy; I did run it for a while and it did spit some back out at first but not much, I also cycled the forward and reverse lever several times with the trans in neutral then put it in 4th gear and cycled the forward and reverse lever several more times with the parking brake set. Then let er run for a good while, the level is now way up high on the stick past the repaired end when checked as per the manual's instructions. I am wondering if the stick was lengthened by someone not knowing what was what on it. Still hoping someone can post the proper dimensions on it for me that would set my mind at an easier state fer sure, can't find one for sale anywhere yet..............

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-10-26 10:19

    Remember this post by Tenwheeler ? "I am told C's do not have hydraulic brakes? The dipstick is 7 1/4 inches long from the gasket seat. Now if someone can tell me the correct hydraulic filter number I will appreciate that." Remove the plug in the bottom of the flywheel housing and check for oil in it. There should not be any in it. Did you drain the torque convertor oil ? It will hold about 1/2 gallon of oil.

  4. #4Clifford B.2019-10-26 15:26

    Thanks Tinkerer; I got those measurements for the hydraulic tank dipstick from Tenwheeler The shuttle oil level dipstick specs is what I need now due to the questionable repair on it. The manual says to add 12qts. after draining it but 12 qts. didn't drain out and as I said in my earlier post, it almost took 12qts. before running over, and after running and cycling the shuttle it reads way high on the questionable dipstick. I didn't open the flywheel plug if there is oil there I guess that would indicate a seal leak to to fix... For now it seems to be working like it did before and I will try to finish the irrigation ditch repair/maintenance I was doing before this engine and shuttle oil change with my eyes open and fingers crossed, I did it as per the manual instructions so I guess I'll see how it goes.........

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-10-26 20:14

    Sorry bout referring to the hyd tank post. I need to read more carefully ! Does your manual have specific instructions for checking the shuttle level ? My 680ck is different from yours but, mine has to have the oil warm, the transmission in 4th gear, the shuttle in FWD and the engine idling with the brakes locked. I found that there is a big difference in the oil levels from doing that and checking it in neutral with the engine off.

  6. #6Clifford B.2019-10-26 21:15

    Thanks Tinkerer, my manual says shuttle lever in neutral and trans in 4th gear with brakes locked and the stick level is well above the now very questionable dip stick. The manual I have is for model #680ck 9106000 - 9111008 it has the model # hand written for it in there as model #680ck 9106330 as well as the corresponding nos. for the backhoe and power shuttle so near as I can figger what I have done is right ( I hope ) I did run it around the back 40 in all the gears forward and backward without any issues other than some leakage on the hydraulics for the backhoe, another project fer later Does that sound about right to you ?? Thanks...........Cliff

  7. #7Tinkerer2019-10-27 10:34

    Sounds about right Clifford. The manual for my CK says the shuttle must be in forward gear,4 speed transmission in 4th gear and the engine idling - brakes locked.

  8. #8Clifford B.2019-10-27 16:43

    Hmmm; I wonder why the instructions are different in our manuals ?? From what I've been able to read up on about it so far the power shuttle is the same up to 1993 An update perhaps ?? My operators manual has the number 9 - 2762 under the model numbers it covers. I also have a full on shop manual that came with it as well (lots to read !), but I always like to consult experience as well cuz manuals can be a little vague at times and I can be a little too dense in the head to get it at first some times.......... Thanks fer helping this newbie to a Case backhoe figger stuff out..........Cliff

  9. #9Tinkerer2019-10-27 21:22

    I don't know why the checking procedure is different. We are all here to help each other.