Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My D6C has moved on.

Mcrafty1 ยท 2024-06-05 05:04

I decided my D6C would be better in someone else's yard, I didn't have work enough to keep it around and sometimes sitting is harder on a piece than using it. A heavy dozer is not something I could afford to maintain after retiring which is not far into my future. As much as I would have like to keep it around I thought it better to send it down the road. Thanks for the help from all when ever I had a problem or question, it is/was always a reassurance that answers to most problems can be had on this site. I'm sure I'll be around for a while yet, I still have my dirtwork business and three other pieces that will need attention.

Replies7
  1. #1kshansen2024-06-05 06:46

    Hope it goes to a good home! Downsizing can be a tough time to deal with for many.

  2. #2Mcrafty12024-06-06 05:00

    It has, man with a farm near me (well within 130 mi.) bought it to maintain his property. He has an older D8 with a brush blade that just took too long to switch blades and wanted the D6 to have so he could avoid the hassle of having to take the time to do that. He does very little outside work with his dozer and doesn't expect to do any different with the addition of the D6. I think it'll be a good fit for his operation. I hated to see it go but at 68yo I'm too old now to have a heavy dozer around for a hobby. I managed to pay for it when I cleared the land I used it for, and made a health profit when I sold it so it's all good.

  3. #3kshansen2024-06-06 06:51

    Might be an idea to let the new owner know about this forum so we can offer help if he needs some.

  4. #4Mcrafty12024-06-08 05:36

    I did that, He said he already spent time here from time to time....who knows now owning two old Cats he may become a more frequent user. He didn't say if he was a sub or not.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-06-08 23:07

    You can get pretty attached to some machines like they are part of the family. Especially if you've done a bunch of work on them. I'm kind of constantly debating if I should keep could going with my MX and oval tracks. With the crappy weather, not being able to get help and dealing with cancer related fatigue and other issues it's really hard to stay motivated. Tripping yesterday unloaded bags of lime and hitting my head on my truck bed resulting in a good gash above my eye really made me wonder what the hell I was doing this for. The cancer diagnosis really took a toll on my physical strength and stamina. I ache for days after doing even the simplest things. I don't know what to do but don't think sitting around doing nothing is the way to go. A pain management specialist is supposed to be calling me but I don't know when. It's been over a week already.

  6. #6Mcrafty12024-06-09 06:07

    The thing about an old machine like my D6C is the fact that everything that needs done to maintain them is heavy strenuous work, the hardest part of letting it go is accepting the fact that I was no longer capable of doing many of the tasks by myself and if I used the machine much it would be inevitably be needing various repairs/maintenance and money I could find many other things to use for. So I decided to send it down the road. Sorry to hear of your health issues, I hope all is well for you on that front. I envy your spirit in the face of adversity, that alone goes a long way toward a favorable outcome. Good luck and God bless.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-06-09 18:16

    That is exactly what I'm struggling with right now. My tractor is the most reliable machine I have and would be the hardest to let go. Have had it since about 1980, added a loader and cab off an industrial tractor. Had to make a lower door and rear window frame for the cab and modify the 3pt. hitch. Have done a few simple repairs but nothing major. It could use a paint job but for the most part I know it's ready to go when I need it. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. I think it needs a battery but that's really minor.