Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My hydraulic line develops a leak when operating my jackhammer

punatic ยท 2024-06-21 01:58

I have a Bobcat 425 Excavator with a jackhammer attachment. Lately it keeps developing a massive leak on one of the hydraulic lines when I try to use it. I have replaced the line with a new one and had the same problem. I bet this is an easy answer for someone who knows this equipment, but I'm just a farmer who's using this to dig trenches. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Replies9
  1. #192U 34062024-06-21 08:30

    First, what model of hammer? Second, which line fails?

  2. #2heymccall2024-06-21 10:00

    If the leak is at a connection, could an O-ring be compromised or missing? The first fitting has O-ring that seals against the flat face of the second fitting. This is an ORFS connection (O Ring Face Seal). I don't know if this is the style of connection that you have or not, though?

  3. #3punatic2024-06-22 15:43

    I'll see if I can get a M/M of the hammer. The leak is not from the O-ring, it has happened twice now and both times from the place where the flex line is attached to the fitting. Is is possible that the hammer might have lost it's N charge?

  4. #492U 34062024-06-22 17:01

    Depends on the hammer model. If it just has a precharge chamber that won't really affect the pulsations on the return line. If it has an actual diaphragm accumulator on the return side then it absolutely will. Chances are if there's no nitrogen in it, they diaphragm is blown. Very common if they've been run low on nitrogen for a period of time.

  5. #5punatic2024-06-24 01:00

    OK I cleaned up the hammer and all of the labels are unreadable. However I did pull a number that was prominent by the mount : 6733165. I did a search for this and got several things referring to a Bobcat B850 breaker. I searched for a manual and found one which I downloaded, but in looking at the photos of the B850 in the manual I could see there were differences, for example the way the tool is mounted is totally different. The manual says for 797000101 & Above. I can't find any S/N but I will look tomorrow as I bet I have an older model. I wonder about having no nitrogen. I have it in my pickup and I will try to find someone who can check the pressure, and I will try to find a manual that matches to the hammer.

  6. #6oceanobob2024-06-24 01:05

    Checking the pressure is not that complicated on the hammer that I have - an adapter with a gage and a bottle of the gas....

  7. #7punatic2024-06-24 01:34

    Here's some new info...I've been looking at other manuals and it looks like this hammer resembles a Bobcat HB Series Breaker. I think the number I pulled up is the PN for the Bobcat X-change mount that is attached to the hammer.

  8. #8punatic2024-06-24 03:20

    Further...this seems to be a HB680 Breaker. I've downloaded the correct service manual and will be looking for someone to check and fill the nitrogen. I'll remove the housing to allow service of the nitrogen. Hopefully it's just out and nothing is damaged. I abused this hammer building my farm as I had to do a lot of pounding of the almost solid lava rock to trench for various infrastructure items.

  9. #9Tones2024-06-24 13:57

    Laying hammers on the ground when not in use isn't good for then either, they will leak nitrogen when stored horizontal.