The cap came off of my bucket cylinder and the threads are stripped. If I push it back into place could, I put tack welds on to hold it in place?
If you’re absolutely desperate to use the machine , forget the tacks and just weld it solid. The cylinder is going to leak any which way you do it. Anything stopping you from fixing it properly ? What model machine ?
Not likely to last long. How about some pictures? or maybe a model number?
Previous owner of my Deere track loader did that to a cylinder. Full circumference weld. It works but, after I’ve had it for 8 years, beginning to leak at seal. Shopping boneyards for complete replacement.
I thought JD used snap rings to hold the gland in the cylinder, no threads involved ??
JD used every cylinder gland style under the sun. Could be anything...
Mine- late 70’s track loader w Drott 4/1…all threaded glands
The parts book shows snap rings. IF I wuz looking at the cylinder she has.
I am looking for a new cylinder if I can find one, I just had new seals installed but the threads were already worn. It is a JD 310A so it is from the early 70's. Can the threads be redone? I was just looking for options. I did see a complete machine at a local scrap yard but they insisted on crushing it.
Any part can be replaced by a machinist. Or a new cylinder can be built entirely, or an existing new cylinder modified to fit. Since it's a bucket cylinder, they are usually the most abused on the machine, so I'd inspect the chrome before making any decision. If this is the JD special wire lock ring style, then the thread only hold the gland tight to the ring, the ring does all the work, the threaded lock nut could easily be remade in a slightly smaller diameter and the gland threads cut clean at a smaller diameter. But I'm only guessing this is that style based on the age.
What part of PA are you in. There are some good hydraulic shops that can make a cylinder.
Pittsburgh
I am located on the other side. The shops I know that can do it are both in Allentown. Being Pittsburgh, I am sure there are good hydraulic shops there that could handle that. A quick Google search shows a few shops that could possibly make a cylinder.
Thanks it turns out my old neighbor has a shop. It is for bid pumps and cylinders but I will have to ask him.
For something that old I would talk to a hydraulic rebuild shop, they could likely repair it or fabricate something that would work.
I thought the title said stripper at first. I already had a fistful of singles ready.