Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My little teapot is red, is this a problem?

crane operator · 2021-09-29 20:44
Replies28
  1. #1Don.S2021-09-29 21:10

    Means the tea is hot and ready.

  2. #2CM19952021-09-29 21:15

    Nah it's fine - keep on winching.

  3. #3Tags2021-09-30 07:55

    That’s something you don’t want to see….good thing you saw it, a younger person may have have thought it was part of the lighting for a stereo equalizer I’m really hoping it’s just a sensor…

  4. #4Vetech632021-09-30 08:12

    YIKES!!!!!

  5. #5Crummy2021-09-30 08:12

    First I'd check on what the rabbit & turtle are doing. Sometimes they get all drunked up and do things they think are funny.

  6. #6Old Doug2021-09-30 08:36

    The first newer dump truck i drove i put the trans in gear while the park brake was set it had a ! light up more like wt? is this idiot doing to me?

  7. #7Welder Dave2021-09-30 15:14

    I'd be getting some good gauges out and checking things real close. That new engine cost a few bucks. Hopefully just a bad sensor. I'm not sure what Liebherr parts costs but can't be more than Champion grader parts. I bought a new fuel sender and even with a "deal" it was $225. Normal price was $255. There is nothing special about it at all. It doesn't even reach all the way to the bottom of the tank. The tallest tank it has for adjusting is 24" but the grader tank is 30". It will at least give me an idea when to fill it. I don't want to find out the hard way how hard the grader is to prime when it's -20. Something engine related is much more critical.

  8. #8hvy 1ton2021-09-30 17:53

    I'm breaking out the good whisky and willing it to be the sending unit on your behalf.

  9. #9Don.S2021-09-30 18:45

    I am pretty positive the tea is hot and ready.

  10. #10Mike L2021-09-30 18:55

    Phew! I thought this thread was going a different direction!

  11. #11CM19952021-09-30 19:09

    If you push the Mercedes button I bet the red light would go off.

  12. #12Midnightmoon2021-09-30 19:51

    The tea pot only applies when your in england. Be worried when the coffee pot light comes on

  13. #13joe--h2021-10-01 22:35

    Check the oil, and drive on. Joe H It's the oil pressure warning, you might want to see if it's for real and then drive on.

  14. #14crane operator2021-10-02 08:47

    The gauge shows oil pressure by yellow bars, its usually up three bars. I was coming home from a job and it dropped to two, and then one, and then the red light came on. When that happens, my worry level tends to increase. When we lost the engine in it a few years ago, due to a oil line rupture, the sending unit was actually stuck, and the new engine I bought, its sending unit didn't work correctly either. So in the interest of saving my blood pressure, we installed hose and a standard fluid gauge in the lower cab. So the whole time the electric gauge was doing its dive toward the cellar, the mechanical gauge was telling me everything is fine. I did pull over and make sure I wasn't puking out oil, just to be sure....

  15. #15Crummy2021-10-02 09:03

    Hooray. Another win for mechanical gauges. Rolled so the needles point straight up at normal. Looks like your rabbit and turtle are getting into the sauce during working hours, not good.

  16. #16kshansen2021-10-02 09:39

    Mechanical gauges can fail too but having one for a "second opinion" on critical items, like oil pressure, is not a bad idea! I got a kick out of learning that in some cars and trucks with "gauges" as apposed to just "idiot lights" that some of those "gauges" were controlled by the same switch that was used to operate a light! In other words if the sender senses any pressure the gauge would read a little over 1/2 way up the scale it was all for looks!

  17. #17joe--h2021-10-02 20:52

    Good you know/knew what's really happening. I was kidding and assumed you did know what the tea pot was. When those things first showed up in the 70s some of them were a real mystery, they meant something to someone but not me. Joe H

  18. #18Birken Vogt2021-10-02 20:59

    Being a European product they have to have indicators for 10 different language speakers plus probably those that can't read. We have some European equipment we work on, and it can be a mystery what they are trying to communicate through a dot matrix display of some little icon much harder to interpret than the teapot there.

  19. #19cuttin edge2021-10-02 21:10
  20. #20cuttin edge2021-10-02 21:13
  21. #21Birken Vogt2021-10-02 22:25

    This is one of the more common calls we get. "My generator won't run or do anything." "What is on the display?" "What display? You mean it has a display?" Tell them where the display is. This is the picture they are getting: Anybody know what it means?

  22. #22AzIron2021-10-03 00:37

    Ground issue

  23. #23Truck Shop2021-10-03 00:52

    Late 80's ford 7.3's that read low oil psi from new-fords fix was a resistance wire plugged in at sending unit.

  24. #24Kiwi-truckwit2021-10-03 01:00

    Clearly it means there's another fukushima coming

  25. #25JLarson2021-10-03 01:39

    That's the keep Timmy away from the E-stop next time symbol.

  26. #26Birken Vogt2021-10-03 10:02

    I think my 1989 Ford gas engine truck that I use every day has one of these. My 1986 diesel definitely did. My 1997 7.3 has one also I think. The 89 gauges are all over the place. Voltmeter especially. Usually shows about 10 volts, sometimes 12, sometimes 14, temp gauge too, completely worthless, the actual systems they monitor are doing fine. That's a good one, I'll have to remember that That's the right answer, it means somebody or some animal has bumped the e-stop, but when it is rendered as a 10x10 dot matrix display it is really indecipherable.

  27. #27JLarson2021-10-03 13:37

    That's why I like lighted e-stops I'm things. Is the big red button lit? Yeah then twist and pull and don't lean against it next time.

  28. #28materthegreater2021-10-03 20:28

    I bet you have a poor ground connection between the engine and instrument cluster.