Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My neighbors Case 580C has a fuel problem

carogator ยท 2016-09-21 21:50

The neighbors 580C diesel is gaining oil level and still looks like oil, but it is starting to look thin. Possible that the injectors are leaking by? I really don't think so as it still starts on about the first revolution each time. But I know nothing about that system. Some suggestions would help. Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Replies9
  1. #1willie592016-09-21 21:57

    If I remember correctly, that machine has the Case 188 diesel. If so, it most likely has a Stanadyne injection pump. If yes, the most likely cause of your problem is the butterfly seals on the injection pump shaft has failed, this will leak diesel from the injection pump into the crankcase.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2016-09-21 22:15

    Drive shaft seals, Stanadyne/roosa master or CAV.. Lift pump, if so equipped.. Injection pump has to be removed to change the seals.. Ask for directions BEFORE REMOVING..

  3. #3Delmer2016-09-21 22:19

    If it has a fuel lift pump run off the camshaft (on the side of the engine) then that could be leaking also. Not as likely to leak, but much easier to fix. And if it has a lift pump, I'd check that first, because I don't know how to check an injection pump The transfer pump you can loosen enough that the oil seeps past the gasket, then use the priming lever to pump up the pressure, see if diesel seeps out too. It will take a while.

  4. #4willie592016-09-21 22:19

    I was gonna say thepumpguysc can fix you up...but he beat me to it.

  5. #5carogator2016-09-22 11:31

    Okay, thanks for all the information so far. Now it is time to farm out the repairs and get it going again. Pumpguy, if your surgery (may be from an old post) is out of the way, would you be interested in doing it? We are in Bolentown S.C.. Distance will be no problem for us. You can even take it off if I can't follow your directions. I can most likely take it off if distance and time are a problem for you.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2016-09-22 14:48

    email sent..

  7. #7thepumpguysc2016-09-23 16:18

    another sent to> onebad address

  8. #8Former Wrench2016-09-23 16:44

    One tip before removing the pump; use compressed air and a solvent gun to get things as clean as possible. It will help with the disassembly and save from the heartache of getting "old" dirt in you new rebuilt/repaired pump

  9. #9thepumpguysc2016-09-23 19:42

    I 2nd that emotion.. DONT bring me no nasty pump.. LOL