I bought this at an auction out here in Seattle on Saturday. 3500 dollars. The old owner had owned it since 1971. The Tractor serial number is 8339537 the backhoe is a 33, serial 4157283. Late 1960s is my guess. This is my first backhoe, I'll be using it mainly for building single family homes in Seattle. When I was loading it onto a flatbed on Wednesday I found out while rolling downhill it had no brakes. Nobody got hurt, just embarrassed. So I went to the Case store out here and got some brake pads, and some cylinder rebuild kits for the backhoe swing cylinders, which are leaking really badly. Case was getting rid of a pallet load of old service manuals, so I got the one for the 580ck also. My lucky day. What I'm wondering is: can I remove the swing cylinders without unhitching the backhoe? It seems possible that I can just crawl underneath and unbolt them and pull them back through below the backhoe. The service manual makes no mention of this.
That must be the Murphy auction? Looks like it. I was at the RB auction in Olympia and did not see that down there. Did Case have any 580D service manuals btw?
auburn case store the parts counter person said they had a whole pallet full of shop manuals. He spent about ten minutes looking for mine. Good luck!
580ck Hi James, Nice purchase. I have the same model except with a Simms cab on it. Over the past few years, I have completed a number of repairs and rebuilds including having the swing cylinders overhauled due to major leaks. They are reasonably easy to remove. I cleaned everything really well before starting and then disconnected the hoses at the control valve. Once the hoses are off, pull the pins from the swing tower on the hoe and then remove the top swing bearings. Last I removed the lower swing bearings and carefully pulled the cylinders out from the rear of the machine. It helps to set the hoe down far enough out to give some room to work. I found that the cylinder rods were bent and in the end, had the local hydraulics shop hone the tubes and put new stainless rods in. As part of the reinstallation I put on new hoses, repalced the bolts and lock washers holding the swing bearings and any O rings that I ran into on the control valve and hose fittings. Took a few hours and some cash for the hydraulic shop but they are now as good as new. I suggest that you carefully check the rods as its apparently a know issue with these machines. My dream is to find a 4 in 1 loader bucket for mine, but so far nothing has shown up. Jess
James you go to the Marysville store or the Auburn store?
thanks for the instructions, Jess I printed them out to take with me to the backhoe. James
BSI Excavation: I went to the Auburn store.