Been looking for several months and have been coming here and looking for tips and info on hoes. I have looked at some real dogs to. All i need is one to use around the farm for small projects. Anyway, i found this late model jd410 about 65 mi from here after looking all around the country. It's got about 3500 hrs on it and think it's an 80-82 model. Pretty clean and i think it has the original paint on it. So far everything seems ok, but when i went to load it on the trailer, it would go up the ramp and then stop like the clutch was slipping. Finally had to back it on the trailer so i might have a weak forward clutch.I'll find out more when i get to put it to use.
Added pics. ( I HOPE)
That is a sweet machine.Check your fluid levels first.Ron G
I would change the filters and suction strainer [310's have em I think yours does] then put in hytrans oil. If someone put in aw 46 or something like that it will slip. Also check reverser linkage travel if it does'nt move enough you may need to adjust it. My old 310 got a rock lodged in the linkage on top of the trans. and caused some head scratching till I found it ,hope this helps!
That's a nice old hoe!
I'm going to check the fluid level first. I'm guessing it needs to be running and in park or neutral and warm just like every other hydraulic system i've ever seen, correct?
Something i'm not sure about though. Would the loader and rear buckets be extended or down. I know the fluid level changes. I would think they need to be down, but i'm not sure.
I have found that the fluid checking parameters are often stamped on the dipstick or the nomenclature plate wherever that might be.They are usually on the inside of an engine compartment door etc depending on what you are running.Some machines have a site glass on the housing of the reservoir of whatever needs checking.Ron G
Thanks, i'll check both places.
I check my 310 with the loader down hoe up engine running in park. The dip stick and fill is in the floor in front of the seat. Don't get carried away overfilling it, the oil will churn up in the gears and it will foam up. Again make sure you use a hytrans oil some guys call it 303 oil.
I just bought one of these but a 1975 army JD410 without the enclosed cab. I ended up getting the manual and there are lots of adjustments on the machine of which one may affect that forward drive slipping. Mine had been parked under cover for years so I went through it thoroughly and ended up learning more than I'll ever need to know about it. I am a construction guy so working on the machine and fixing various things was enjoyable. I too am using mine for farm use but pretty heavy digging stumps and pond construction tasks. I love mine and by the looks yours is in real nice condition. Btw, you can get access to manuals on the JDparts website as well as part numbers with diagrams for anything on the machine. I usually Google part numbers and find them a little cheaper than JD though.
Did you find out how to check the hydraulic fluid level. I read where the newer g model you check with the loader bucket down and the rear arms in the transport position and the engine off and cool so now i'm really confused. I know it makes a difference in the fluid level if you don't check it the proper way. I downloading all the manuals from the liberated manual site and i have everything but the operators manual and thats the one that tells how to check the hydraulic level. Btw those liberated manuals are all free Army manuals.
It's "liberatedmanuals.com". Free military manuals and there are lots of different machines.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/...ts.HomePageServlet_Alt?search=model&model=410 The above has lots of good data. The directions in the manual for checking transmission oil level is: 1) run engine for 2-3 minutes 2) with unit on level ground 3) engine running at slow idle 4) loader bucket lowered 5) backhoe in transport position 6) range shift lever in (P) park (or in my case with no park in neutral) 7) gear shift lever in neutral 8) and clutch engaged
Ok thanks a lot. I'll check it and see how everything works now.