Here she is, 87 w/s dump. Got er cheap, and shes just been certified. I actually got pulled into an inspection station and it got fully inspected, and the only thing that didnt pass is I had two low tires. It has a cummins 444 in it and a 15 speed. It got an average of 8.8 mpg on the trip home. It does smoke a white abit on start up. Can anyone tell me anything more about the cummins 444? (I know I started a thread awhile back on it but now that I have one I would like to know even more about it )
That's a good looking truck, and awesome looking country you get to drive it in. What are you hauling in it usually? Good luck with your new baby.
Ditto above! My buddy had an IH tractor with the 444, I think it's twin turbo, no? I don't recall him having any problems with it.
The first picture is actually mount robson, which I THINK is canadas tallest mountain. The second one was taken in jasper, and the third one was on the border of alberta and british columbia, in canada. I actually live in flat ol saskatchewan, so those were just kinda scenic pictures on the way back, i get to drive it mainly with fields And im not sure what Im going to be hauling in it yet. I bought it so i could pull my backhoe around, and be able to take gravel, sand, etc to and from jobs. Im just getting into stuff, so this was a nice CHEAP important purchase for me!
good on ya on the new truck I hope it will provide years of great service.
I dont know if its a twin turbo or not. I should take a picture under the hood. There is an abvious turbo, then just in front of that there is something else that I havent seen on another truck yet. Mind you I have only been under the hood of maybe 30ish trucks in my life, mostly really new ones.
what backhoe do you run, and can we get some pics of the two together. Have fun with your new girlfriend. I am talking about the truck you know... Goeie koop is goed koop daar. Cheap means good there.
Nice looking truck. I hope you have good luck with the 444, they are hit or miss. They had a lot of problems with the heads and camshafts. Most all cummins will blow smoke in the morning.
Hey bellboy, I run a case 580 sk. As you can tell from my equipment, im just starting out I will try and get a pic of the two together, and a pic under the hood in the next day or so. Thanks for the info dumptrucker, i can only hope I got a miss (on the problems ) one So far so good though, although I havent really worked it yet.
Sharp looking Star. We have a 88 Pete 377 with the 444 under the hood. It seems to be a good motor, decent power, enough to pull our end dump grossing 46500kg in the mountains here. If you ask around and find a good mechanic familiar with the mechanical engines and get him to check it out. Just had the valves adjusted and button changed in the pump and it runs a little smoother and is a little more drivable. Good luck
Thanks for the advice Tacodriver. I have done some research and so far have found that they can be decent enough engines if you get a "good" one, and do exactly as you say, take it to someone who knows their mechanical engines. I have two close uncles that are heavy duty mechanics, and have been HD mechanics for about 25-30 years now, hopefully one of them knows something! On another note, its been along time since I have been through Banff, last time I went through though it was pretty cool. Must be busy this time of the year though hey?
Yes It is fairly busy in town for the summer. Makes it a challenge getting things done with all the traffic.
Nice looking Star. The 444's were know for bad harmonic balancers that would take out the motor. They say change them but can't remember how many miles. If you check out Pittsburgh Power's (Diesel Injection of Pitts.) web site, look at Bruce's power and torque articles. Lots of good info and he did speak of how to build a good 444. There was also an article there about how to cure the white smoke. Hopefully all the articles are still posted there.:drinkup
http://www.pittsburghpower.com/ Here is a link to thier web site.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the 444 came with a single turbo. The twin turbo you all are thinking about was that NTC 475 Cummins came out with for a while. My buddy had one in an International cabover.