Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My Offsider

Squizzy246B ยท 2009-10-07 22:51

We have had some pics and discussion on younguns on machinery before. Here is my "Sidey" down on the farm digging some trench for irragation piping......it makes going broke all worth it

Replies23
  1. #1willie592009-10-07 22:57

    Going broke? You mean paying for that well drillin' rig you got set up there? Looks like your boy is having a blast, and doing some good work. Ain't gonna be long he's going to kick you out of the seat. Great pics Squizzy.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2009-10-07 22:57

    For the first time ever I went some yards away from the machine to take a pic...I'm normally standing within reach of the safety lock outs.....I was nervous as hell but he didn't miss a beat. He has been standing between my knees on the machine operating the pilots for years. That way I could put the seatbelt around both of us....but at 7 years old he's just getting too big. I guess Fathers have to learn to let go the reins gradually.

  3. #3Squizzy246B2009-10-07 23:04

    Thanks ATCO...I took money off those roughnecks They bet me $20 that the 3 tonner would pull out a 6' x 6' concrete septic (I should say cow poo tank). ...and yeah...he's looking to pinch my seat anyday...I'm trying to talk him into becoming a professional golfer...or a doctor or something

  4. #4willie592009-10-07 23:04

    Man I'm as proud as you are right now, grinning like a mule eatin' briars! That's one hell-of-a good trench and windrow! The boy is jammin'! I love it! :notworthy

  5. #5Squizzy246B2009-10-07 23:14

    Yep..he's a lot neater than the old man (see my work below )...and smarter, soon as the weather broke up he was off..leaving me in the rain ditch diggin ointhead

  6. #6digger242j2009-10-07 23:25

    Going broke? Your Wallet may be empty, but that smile is worth a million bucks... :thumbsup

  7. #7willie592009-10-07 23:27

    Ha, I see it now! I looked the pics over again and discovered something. Your boy is doing a heck of a good job because the dog (that you left on a jobsite) is training him. The dog is the supervisor, and he's making sure your boy does it correctly. Good dog. :tong

  8. #8Squizzy246B2009-10-07 23:29

    I appreciate the comments. Thanks, yes, very worthwhile.

  9. #9Squizzy246B2009-10-07 23:52

    Quite correct. here is the super showing the rig crew how to drill

  10. #10willie592009-10-08 00:05

    LoL, I'm sure you are proud of your son (who is playing in the dirt like the old man instead of being a doctor) as I would be myself. :tong But I must say as well...you have a very special dog there.

  11. #11heavylift2009-10-08 01:21

    cool !!! got the kid using joysticks for digging instead of shooting aliens from space.. Better get him some lessons with Tiger.... I think I read he's the first pro athlete to become a BILLIONAIRE !!!!!!!

  12. #12bill onthehill2009-10-08 01:21

    give that boy another year or so and you can put him on payroll in the summertime. he is doing great!

  13. #13jm622009-10-08 09:59

    Not trying to hijack your posting, but I had to say that boy is doing great must have had a great teacher. My 5 year old grand son is already trying to kick my big butt out of my skidsteer. The boy has already figured out the controls and can run the machine but only with me in it.

  14. #14tonka2009-10-08 10:11

    wow squizzz, yer boy is going to be a great hand one day, keep up the good work! Good on ya mate!

  15. #15RocksnRoses2009-10-10 21:35

    Excellent pics, Squizzy, and speaking from experience, if the young feller wants to be a digger operator, let him dig, you both will be much happier, besides, he's doing a much neater job already.:cool2 I see you are using PVC, I was just wondering why that instead of poly and is there much of a price difference? It is certainly looking nice and fresh and green down on the farm. Rn'R.

  16. #16Squizzy246B2009-10-12 04:20

    G,day RnR, I just got back from down south again....the PVC was picked up at a clearing sale for next to nought!. It was mostly new but had been sitting around for a few years. In 4" from the bore head to the dam is 500 metres all downhill so it will be lucky to see 2 psi...so pressure wasn't a big issue. Some of the PVC was glue together and some bell mouth with o-rings and grease. I got it about half installed and then got rained out. Went an got the young bloke going on the trench for the sparkie which was good cause he did the digging while I did attitude adjustment on all the Dugites and Tigers that wanted to come in the shed with me.

  17. #17JDOFMEMI2009-10-12 12:09

    Not bad for 7 Squizzy I have seen guys that claimed to be operators for years that could not dig a ditch like that. Best way to make a hand out of him is to start early.

  18. #18Yukon Digger2009-10-16 11:25

    Great pictures Squizzy. Nice to see kids outdoors doing things with their Dad. He'll grow up to be a fine man I'm sure. I helped a friend spread some gravel last month and let his little guy run the machine for about 10 minutes. Now the kids saving his pennies to buy a 'go hoe' as he calls it. It's up to us to get the young folks on the right path. Good work. I have to say I've got some envy that you can work your machine all year. It's been as cold as -15C at nights in the Yukon and the digging days for my machine are numbered. Hard to see it sitting there all winter. In a couple years when the house is paid off I might just head down there in the winters. I'd run a machine for free if there was a cold beer and a bbq at the end of the day!

  19. #19Squizzy246B2009-10-16 19:48

    Thanks Guys, I appreciate the comments. I must admit to never having given thought to the winter time issues with the northern hemisphere operators until I joined this forum. I just can't imagine how it works out for you guys. We complain when we get a few days rain. Last two days have been the hottest for about 4 months and it nearly killed us. Hah!...another couple of months and we will be calling those days nice cool weather.

  20. #20strott2009-10-17 14:52

    Northern hemisphere weather issues!! - here in the UK I end up cold and wet and thats the summer!! As for the winter - its pretty much the same as the summer but colder and frosty starts.

  21. #21optherockman2009-10-19 01:33

    kids some of mine

  22. #22optherockman2009-10-19 01:41

    more

  23. #23jm622009-10-19 09:59

    optherockman, you got some good looking young ones, and it looks like in a few years your gonna have a run for your money as to whom will operating what machines. Good luck on seeing any seat time. Thank God for kids, grandkids and the neighbor kids cause they keep you young at heart.