Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My pictures

ledsel ยท 2009-12-14 19:51

Hi everyone. I just thought I'd post some of My grader pictures. Hope it's O.K.! The first one is My Wife and two daughters grading on the job for Weldwood in Hinton Alberta. The second is my first grader a 1926 Sawyer massey. The third is my Pull type sold by Melro (bobcat people) Made by If I remember ,Thompson? Forth is My Youngest Daughters 740 in Hinton (she was 18 at the time. and the last is My Wifes 760 also in Hinton. More to come when I can find them.

Replies112
  1. #1ledsel2009-12-14 20:08

    Here's more First is My #12 cat My first knuckle buster. Second is my first Wabco (cummins power) knuckle buster 2. Third is my second Champion 1952 IH power. Forth is my 1948 Champion also IH powered. I have a picture of it when I picked it out of the bush on my web site. http://arvimotors.com/ More to come if I can find them. Enjoy. Still missing is the Austin Western and the Wabco 555.

  2. #2ledsel2009-12-14 20:20

    The 48 coming back to life. Can you believe that I payed $1000.00 for that!!! The trans was full of water and the engine was seized. But it was plowing snow that winter. I actually got it registered with the city, but I chickened out when thy called to plow. i did private roads instead and built one til the engine finally gave out.

  3. #3ledsel2009-12-14 20:34

    A few more. I found some more. The first is My latest 1974 Wabco 555 (I got it free from the village when I bought their 410 JD.) second and third is the oldest daughter on the pull type Melro. That pull type is a real hip smasher.

  4. #4Dominion 4102009-12-14 20:44

    graders Nice pics:drinkup Triple 5 was a good grader.Had one here with 743 Cummins.Is the Louisville Detroit powered? Been through the Hinton area a few times,nice country. Dominion:canada

  5. #5ledsel2009-12-14 20:48

    Yes I'd go back tomorrow It was a great job. What loiseville are you speaking of? The 555 is a jimmy, 671 I've got the engine in the shop waiting for rings and bearings.

  6. #6micbare2009-12-14 23:55

    Hydraulic power What powers the Hydraulics on the pull grader your daughter is on?

  7. #7Grader4me2009-12-15 03:59

    Wow! Great pictures! The whole family in the graders..thats different. Well..I always said.."a family that grades together stays together" lol Maybe I should have tried that years ago...:Banghead.... Thanks for sharing

  8. #8Grader4me2009-12-15 04:09

    Looks like there is a small engine in front of the operator.

  9. #9ledsel2009-12-15 06:34

    There is a 1 cyl. Tecumseth, It actualy works very nice. I pull it with my one ton. It is designed to be either run by an operator on the rear or you can run it from the tractor that you are pulling it with, It has levers at both ends.

  10. #10ledsel2009-12-15 06:40

    Yes, We were a family operation and it was great. The wife was speading with the 760, the youngest daughter was maintaining with the 740A, the oldest daughter was loading in the pit with the 4 yard Samsung SL 180-2, and I was telling everybody what to do.HE HE.

  11. #11tdozer2009-12-15 09:12

    Thats pretty cool that the whole family operates.Now i wanna go get a pair of graders for me and the wife. For some reason....i dont think she would be too impressed

  12. #12Motor Grader2009-12-15 09:57

    Hmmm...me and my wife on a pair of graders. She took out the flag pole in the front yard once with a zero turn mower. Sounds like a great way to end a marriage!

  13. #13ledsel2009-12-15 11:30

    Well the wife had a couple of scares with the 760, (standard trans.). She blew a shift going up a steep hill and started to roll backwards, The old detroit started to turn backwards also and then she lost her brakes and steering, and rolled down the hill in the ditch all the way to the bottom. She said her knees were like rubber after that. Needles to say she would not go up another steep hill unless she shifted to low at the bottom.

  14. #14pbean2009-12-15 16:23

    Those are good pics thanks for sharing

  15. #15EZ TRBO2009-12-15 17:48

    Great photos, nice to see a close family working together. Can't wait to see more. Thanks Trbo

  16. #16Vantage_TeS2009-12-15 19:38

    Kinda cool you taught your daughters how to run blades, not too many girls in the industry let alone grader hands.

  17. #17hardtail2009-12-16 07:42

    That must have been bad for both of you......good she stayed with it, did you see it happening........ Interesting on your IH powered Champions, I got a UD14 scrapper torched skid from under the cab back that had Champion tags, this is supposed to go in an old Adams I bought........ I was wondering what your sig line meant???? Cool webpage............

  18. #18yash2009-12-16 08:34

    Well these are really amazing products of heavy equipments. :usa

  19. #19Grader4me2009-12-16 18:14

    Yes, it is rare alright. We have one lady down my way that I taught to operate a grader. She picked up very quickly and I think with more time and practice she would make a decent operator. She got some experience grading and plowing snow. We use her as a spare right now. She's also OPP (One person Plow) certified and does a real good job at it.

  20. #20ledsel2009-12-16 18:21

    [ I was wondering what your sig line meant???? Cool webpage............[/QUOTE] That is what the wife said when she went backwards down the hill!!!! HaHa It's my name.

  21. #21hardtail2009-12-16 19:36

    Not sure if you've been in your area all your life or you used to be in Hinton, anyway I used to live around Hairy Hill in the late 80's for a couple years, actually lived in Jasper before that for 4,,,,,,,anyway our paths may have been close at times?????? Cool bike, I see you love your edsels, must have a good sense of humour with your daughters car #.......LOL Thats are intersting hauler, can't imagine the DOT likin that these days.....and finally wheelie king whats the chassis, Jeep???????

  22. #22ledsel2009-12-16 19:50

    No Hardtail, I spent 24 years in Sherwood Park. (Originally from Sudbury Ontario).I moved here in 2006, I bought the old Demchuk garage and made a restaurant out of the front, call it the Edsel Grill. (That's it in the pic with the Wabco). I was in Hinton for 5 years. I first worked for another fella then I got my own contract. Really miss it . I built that bike out of junk in the yard after I finished in Hinton. When I built the race car 38 the oldest daughter wanted one too so we built her one and I helped pick the # ( I was young once too). The hauler I built to haul my car but when we got two cars I came up with the idea to haul them both a once, It works great but a little under powered with the old flathead. The buggy is a VW I built when I was 16 still have it and chase quads with it.

  23. #23ledsel2009-12-16 20:13

    New champion Hey Motor Grader, Is that 116 about the same size as a old 740? That's a nice looking machine. If I was rich and 20 years younger I'd probably buy one.

  24. #24ledsel2009-12-16 20:20

    Ud14 Those UD14's were in alot of graders. I picked up an old Gallion for trans parts and it used the same engine and tranny as the champion.

  25. #25hardtail2009-12-16 22:01

    I've still got a real good buddy up in Bonneyville, I'll stop by for a burger on my way up one day, probably next summer on the scoots.......might have to set aside a bit of time to stretch the legs and take in some treasures.......LOL Any chance you have a circle drive pinion in those parts??????

  26. #26HEbuyer2009-12-17 12:01

    Wow you sure do put your women to work! LoL

  27. #27ledsel2009-12-17 14:59

    No Hardtail, I don't have one of those. HEbuyer, Well you know nowaday's The guys don't want to work so I get the ladies. Besides they look better.

  28. #28HEbuyer2009-12-17 15:01

    I know that's right, I would like to learn how to work one but I'm just learing the basic specs to sale and buy'em right now. Tell you women that earned many cool points for running those pieces.

  29. #29ledsel2009-12-17 15:10

    Yes it was funny to hear the comments on the mill radio from the log haulers. They were really impressed when they saw the three graders coming down the road and doing it all in one pass. That day they did 55 Km.(35mi.) 10hrs.

  30. #30Suomi2009-12-17 18:45

    Very nice pictures! I personally like the one with the orange 740 grader!

  31. #31ledsel2009-12-17 18:47

    its working I see you got it to work!!

  32. #32ledsel2009-12-17 18:50

    Too bad I didn't get the pre go that was driving in the pic.

  33. #33Suomi2009-12-17 18:52

    That would have been a hot picture. Especially one of my hoisting myself up with the blade!

  34. #34ledsel2009-12-17 18:53

    Yup!!!!

  35. #35Suomi2009-12-17 19:00

    Did you get the newby up and running yet??

  36. #36ledsel2009-12-17 19:02

    Just taking the old bearings out now.

  37. #37Suomi2009-12-17 19:05

    I'm going to need to test it out when I come over there!

  38. #38lpnt652009-12-19 23:05

    i owned and operated a couple of Wabco and Adams Graders the 550 was a mighty good machine. It could bury a Cat 14 we had on demo, and the Adams 330 would just walk all over a Cat 12e that we had at that time the 330 was only about 80hp

  39. #39ledsel2009-12-20 01:47

    Pistons are in and the head is on.

  40. #40hardtail2009-12-20 11:15

    You sound knowlegable out Adams and their models? I've found very little information about the Adams company anywhere, surprising since they made a lot of machines. One opinion I've heard is that they were geared a little too high? I have what a believe is a 511 (tags missing) tandem, 4 cyl IH, theres a 550 dead nearby with the 6 cyl IH thats looking tempting......they would have been around 100hp

  41. #41lpnt652009-12-20 17:13

    The 550 was 160 hp had cummins motor the 511 u mention is unknown 2 me we had earlier Adams and the numbers were 312 75 hp TD 9 international motor petrol start switch 2 diesel when it warmed up,there were 3 higher hp models if i remember correctly ,the largest was powerwed by a TD20 International Motor

  42. #42prfire202009-12-20 17:23

    those are great pics keep em coming

  43. #43lpnt652009-12-20 17:26

    i,ve contacted my bro in New zealand and he thinks there was a 511 be about 1956 vintage and would,ve had and international motor . oh yes the regarding gearing myself and my operators had all been Cat 12 operqators we found the gear range was fantastic compared to the Cat Machines they could skin a cat so nicely, they were balanced well a Cat would slide off a windrow where the Adams and Wabco dug its bum in and stayed straight As far as i am concerned altho ive been retired for a long time i have had a couple drives of a cat 130 and still reckon the Adams and Wabco would still walk all over them

  44. #44Dwan Hall2009-12-21 12:16

    Like what I see, Thanks for the pictures. I am thinking a grader or some other piece of equipment would be a great Christmas present for my wife. I did give here a street sweeper for her 25th anniversary and we are still together after 33 years. Again thanks for the stories and pictures.

  45. #45Grader4me2009-12-21 13:28

    Hey Dwan, maybe you could get her something a little more personal this year for Christmas..like a new chainsaw or something..lol

  46. #46RonG2009-12-21 17:45

    Here is a pic that I took of the ex wife about 30 years ago,maybe more. It just so happened that I bought this used chainsaw on her birthday and.....well......you can't let an opportunity like that get away now can you?She left me but I still have the saw.Ron G

  47. #47Grader4me2009-12-21 18:00

    Fits right in Ron! My sides are hurting from laughing.. Sorry for the highjack guys...back to graders!..lol

  48. #48Dwan Hall2009-12-22 03:32

    Would a Stihl power broom do? That was 3 years ago. This year so far it is a set of wind chimes. Grader is out of the question. No more parking room until I get rid of some stuff. Right now I am rebuilding a 2008 Shelby GT500 for her? maybe maybe not.

  49. #49bigrus2009-12-22 05:17

    Ilfracombe Qld Australia Driving through to Mt Isa a couple of years ago came across a line up of old iron beside the road, so picked out the grader section & here's a few. Sorry if this is in the wrong place

  50. #50Grader4me2009-12-22 05:36

    Nice pictures! The old gal in the last picture even has a front blade. Thanks for sharing. Probably the Mods will place this in the "old iron" section

  51. #51Greg2009-12-22 20:25

    No way my wife and daughters are allowed any where any of my iron. Wife and youngest daughter would both be working at the US Army proving grounds in Abderdeen,MD if they knew who they are. Hardest pair on a set of wheels the world has seen in a long time. I know several families that work together like the one above. It is really great when it works. Never would work here.

  52. #522stickbill2009-12-27 22:28

    Was it a good swap?

  53. #53RonG2009-12-28 05:39

    If she had left me sooner I could have bought a new saw.Ron G

  54. #542stickbill2009-12-28 18:56

    Well your lucky Most of them take everything.

  55. #55RonG2009-12-29 04:36

    That was the plan.I ended up with a 50/50 deal minus some property I owned before we were married but after 28 years the courts pretty much devide things equally unless you have deep pockets and a lot at stake.Adultry is not a crime in Connecticut.Ron G

  56. #56Suomi2009-12-29 12:41

    When do we get to see some photos of the work in progress??

  57. #57steve831012009-12-30 18:18

    great pics

  58. #58ledsel2009-12-30 18:26

    Their coming. the engine is in so it,s looking better.

  59. #59ledsel2010-01-01 17:30

    Here are few pics of pulling the engine.

  60. #60ledsel2010-01-03 19:28

    got the engine back in.:drinkup

  61. #61RonG2010-01-04 03:36

    I like your style there.How did the inside of that bellhousing get so clean?It looks like it is brand new.I am not used to seeing anything clean around a Detroit.LOL.Thanks for sharing with us.Ron G

  62. #62lpnt652010-01-04 07:00

    Looks like you have got your self one good wabco tell me is it manual gear shift with clutch or ] Power flo torque convertor with forward and reverse pedal

  63. #63ledsel2010-01-04 08:29

    It's an oil clutch.

  64. #64ledsel2010-01-04 08:31

    Nothing fancy just the good old reliable standard with oil clutch, tuff as nails.

  65. #65Suomi2010-01-04 10:31

    Very Nice!!

  66. #66MKTEF2010-01-04 15:14

    Edsel and Suomi; i'd say you two guy's come from Finland! Nice work with the grader, engine looks like new now. Not long before you can fire her up... Also looks like the engine has been out before, blue silicone on the housing. Thanks for the nice pics!

  67. #67ledsel2010-01-04 15:32

    Yes your write on both counts, well Suomalainen but from Canada.. It looks like the engine had a bearing job done in 1977-8. That was the date on the inserts. It could have had a clutch done also at some time. Suomi is my daughter the 740A operator.

  68. #68ledsel2010-01-17 08:33

    Here are just a couple pics of the progress.

  69. #69cummins052010-01-17 09:01

    Looks like it's coming along well

  70. #70TimHay2010-01-17 09:39

    Maybe them old graders of mine would fit in with your stuff ledsel you have some great cictures here they look great Tim

  71. #71ledsel2010-01-17 11:23

    Yeh when you get them cheap you can afford to fix them up. Besides these old blades will do the same job as a new (M). I never had any luck hiring people anyway even on new equipment. Their good maybe for a month and then they just wreck everything.

  72. #72bigrus2010-01-17 16:49

    The beauty of older gear is you don't have the "finance noose" hanging over your head when times get a bit tough

  73. #73lpnt652010-01-17 23:00

    [on my Wabco the Exhaust pipe was inclined to crack at the manifold being on the angle So i reconfigured it to lay 4inch above bonnet and lay parrarlal to bonnet

  74. #74Suomi2010-01-17 23:03

    Nice! Looking more and more ready for a test drive by me!!

  75. #75ledsel2010-01-17 23:04

    Yes I was looking at htat so I'm going to keep an eye on it. It has flex pipe but that might not be enough.

  76. #76ledsel2010-01-17 23:07

    I thought you did already. See.

  77. #77Suomi2010-01-17 23:08

    EEK theres that picture again.. Um no, I need to kick out that "guy" and go make some roads smooth!!

  78. #78goodearth132010-01-23 02:31

    Great Photos!!!! They really bring back some great memories from the past machines I've operated or seen on jobs I worked on. I grew up in a little town in Eastern Colorado & the county shops were just a block away from where I lived as a kid. I loved going over to the fence & watching the blades go in & out of the yard. Lots of the machines were like the ones in your photos. Our streets in the little town were still gravel then (1950). It was fun to watch the blade go by. Can you imagine working around a bunch of kids setting on the curb. Nobody thought anything about it then.

  79. #79ledsel2010-01-23 11:19

    In those days Kids (people) had more common sense. Now its just, don't let anybody tell you what to do. And Do what you want. Now, Your responsible for the other guys actions.

  80. #802stickbill2010-01-23 18:12

    I liked the old knuckle busters.Good lugging power.Sweet sound to them old Cats.And the best part not to many wanted to try them out if you was off work.

  81. #81jljr422010-01-23 18:30

    damn it, i do not know what im doing \

  82. #82jljr422010-01-23 18:32

    I hope this gets me in

  83. #83ledsel2010-01-24 18:23

    Your in now what?

  84. #84gravey2010-01-31 11:34

    Nice to see some of your projects. I pick up a 666 B Wabco this summmer w/ a bad motor. I have been doing a little repowering, just about to fire it up next week. Have a few pics. will send when I get my kitchen pass from the admistrator.

  85. #85ledsel2010-01-31 11:44

    Just post hello a couple of times and your on. Is your a hydraulic or mechanical?

  86. #86ledsel2010-01-31 11:48

    Just fired up the old girl yesterday and she purrs like a kitten. Just have to give it a grease job and that's about it for now.:drinkup

  87. #87Suomi2010-01-31 12:00

    :woohoo YAY!! Don't grade the entire village before I get there!! I wanna try it out..see if it beats my orange baby....I doubt it though :cool2

  88. #88gravey2010-01-31 15:13

    It's mechanical W/ a power flow trans got it fired today. Every thing works good! Need a little ajustment on the pierce govenor. some slop in linkage think that is what's causing the problem. I will get the pics put to gether

  89. #89w2bstoned2010-01-31 22:50

    Nice pics, thanks for sharing It's cool too see women grade.... Doesn't look that bad either

  90. #90Payday2010-02-13 12:50

    Thanks for the pictures and story, you have any other pic's of the hinton area? Did you ever work the willow creek hi-way lol

  91. #91ledsel2010-02-13 17:22

    Yes we graveled about 10 klm. of the Willow Creek road from the Polecat north. The picture of the three graders is about a Klm. in on the Polecat road just as you go down the hill. For some dum reason I didn't take much photo's. We built the Jack Wright road and the Jim Clark road , the Hightower and the H road. Most of our work was around the polecat . We camped at the Wildhay River on the pole cat and the pit at the Q road and the Polecat. Sure miss it We would go back in a flash. Our boss was Carman Densmore. Very nice guy.

  92. #92ledsel2010-02-26 22:04

    Well, it's out of the shop. Took it out yesturday and she drives nice. It still has a little slack in the steering. I think it's in the steering box. I will have to learn how to fix that I guess. I'm getting some slobbering out of the exhaust but I think it might be too cold. It's hard to get it to warm up when there is no place to make it work. Drove it 2 miles and it only got to 160. Here are a couple of photos.

  93. #93gravey2010-02-27 01:56

    looks good !! nice to see some new posts been pretty slow lately. :usa

  94. #94RonG2010-02-27 03:51

    Looks very nice........she'll never be that clean again.Those Detroits run cold for a long time after startup unless you can put a load on them and the oil pressure at warm idle will scare you to death.Just the nature of the beast I guess.Ron G

  95. #95ledsel2010-02-27 10:06

    posts Yeah, Everyone must be busy. I'm just to poor so it took awhile.:beatsme

  96. #96ledsel2010-02-28 16:22

    I found the trouble with the steering, it was the pitman arm that was loose. had to put some extra washers and now it 's A. O.K.

  97. #97Suomi2010-03-01 10:14

    Niiiice! Looks ready for my test drive!

  98. #98ledsel2010-03-10 13:14

    Oh Damn. I had to pull the head off the old jimmy, she was leaking antifreeze into the oil. I didn't know about those darn injector tube seals. Oh well it's at the head shop getting fixed. At least it was an easy fix.

  99. #99ledsel2010-03-13 19:44

    Oh well $1,000.00 later and new head. The old one was abit shot. I'll put it on tomorrow and it should be good to go.

  100. #100ledsel2010-03-14 21:31

    It's back together and running fine.

  101. #101RonG2010-03-15 05:35

    It will soon be time to get back to work with the graders,all our snow is gone here.Not sure how much frost is left in the ground.Ron G

  102. #102Deeretime2010-03-19 21:07

    Wow, those are some nice blades u got there, I thought our old 770BH was a little out dated wit 2100hrs on it, How many frame hours are on the 555?

  103. #103Deeretime2010-03-19 21:09

    * 21,000hrs

  104. #104ledsel2010-03-19 21:24

    I don't know what the real hours are, The hour meter was burnt out when I got the grader. But it doesn't seem to have too many as all the knuckles are in very good shape and I know the maintinence wasn't top notch while it belonged to the town. I know they bought it in the 60's. They only used it a little for snow removal. :beatsme

  105. #105ledsel2010-03-25 11:22

    Sorry I mean the 80's:beatsme

  106. #106lpnt652010-03-25 21:58

    Looks mighty good to me , Oh wouldn''t i just love to operate a Wabco /Adams the first Adams we saw was ex world war 2 Someone shipped them in from Pacific islands 1946(to New Zealand) Dad was a Cat Mad person wasn't yellow it was no good, However after he hopped on to the Adams 312 He was sold ,wouldn't go back to Caterpiller, Sadly those days have gone, I just wonder how some of these New Graders perform ei Case/ New Holland/cChinese models ,perhaps someone can enlighten me as these graders are not imported to Australia at this stage

  107. #107ledsel2010-08-03 16:21

    grading lease roads. YouTube - Wabco 555 grader at work.

  108. #108cummins052010-08-05 12:36

    That old bird runs pretty good!

  109. #109mitch5042010-08-06 10:32

    When doing a road that size do you come back the other way and feather out in the middle or will one trip finish that one? Still trying to learn graders, Mitch

  110. #110cummins052010-08-06 20:19

    Depends on if the oil company is cheap or not I have seen some that just want camber to one side most want a crown on the road

  111. #111Grader4me2010-08-06 20:54

    He would most likely come back and feather the windrow of material back onto the road.

  112. #112ledsel2010-10-25 19:06

    Grader4me, Yes that's it. Had to play a bit with the grass, damn tough stuff, it doesn't like to break up. Cummins05, You've got the cheap part right. They want a nice road but won't spend anything to get it.