Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Nasty Allis!

DMiller ยท 2017-09-03 19:15

Well just serviced the old b_tch and as usual the oil was as nasty as ever! Only four engines series I can remember ever holding carbon in the oil so heavily: Detroit(all models incl. EMD as worst), Mack, Cummins V/VT series and of course Allis Chalmers. Will be by the next time it needs changed I will have it all worn off. Surprisingly no real surprises so I am knocking on any and every wood piece about me!! Three gallons in 100+/- hours ago and 2 5/8 gal out, cannot complain. Also needless to say, the canister filter assemblies were never meant to go inside a machine frame!! PITA! I need a steam cleaning!

Replies8
  1. #1thepumpguysc2017-09-03 19:51

    Lol.. I was just about to respond M A C K if I didn't see it on the list.. I used to bi*ch & whine every time one of those pumps would come in but after 30 years ya kinda get used to them.. I had 2 last week..& still scrubbing the crap out from my nails.. Lol I've learned to suit-up before touching one now.. double gloves, plastic apron, lots of rags & thick brown paper on the floor & work bench.. let the oil drip where it wants & scoop up the paper when done.. I LOVE watching the new kids do one.. lol

  2. #2DMiller2017-09-03 20:24

    First DD I worked on was a 6-110 in a Euc, ruined two brown uniform shorts, two t-shirts and a pair of uniform pants. Took three weeks to get the stain off my hands, pretty certain it wore off. Every DD I worked on after as well Bulldogs or AC's wore disposable gloves and as much plastic as I could find, wish we had Tyvek back then!! The V8 Cummins with the three working cylinders were almost as bad. We had drip trays in the shops so the floors were not so nasty.

  3. #3DMiller2017-09-04 14:08

    uniform shIrts not shorts, damn big hands!! Got done with my service today, and wonderfully everything needing to be took grease. Found a couple loose fasteners will have to watch, changed fuel filters once run in for oil levels and leaks man they were a sight. Poor old machine going to work Tomorrow morning provided does not rain too awfully much.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2017-09-04 21:13

    You popped my bubble image. I was seeing you with a pair of oily clown shorts over your uniform.

  5. #5Junkyard2017-09-04 21:23

    I had all kinds of images....I hate to say but I've been chuckling about it since yesterday. Only cause I've been there myself!

  6. #6old-iron-habit2017-09-04 23:29

    What! You wear clown shorts over your work pants?

  7. #7Junkyard2017-09-05 07:18

    Man you have a vivid imagination! Of all the places you could go! Haha. We've all been under or around a nasty greasy ole machine. You have a barn full of them

  8. #8DMiller2017-09-05 07:32

    Yeah Yeah Yeah!! I wear tyvek suits anymore when it gets really nasty, still breaks thru but not as bad as the good old days. Sometimes is unbearably hot but helluva lot better than scrubbing what looks like road oil off. Nastiest machines on God's green Earth are the pile pushers on the coal piles at the power stations, actually enjoyed three days at my previous employers one facility working a belly pan transmission, anything and everything you touched was slick and black where no amount of pressure wash would move most of it, would almost rather clean a tar bucket. Had to wash in ATF and Diesel fuel to get the crap off.