Small logging operation in Washington County Maine just outside of Machias.
This is a small chip mill at the end of the Stud Mill Rd just outside of the Bangor/Orono area of Maine.
I used to work for a logging outfit in northern Washington county. we had an old general like in your first pic, but with a prentice delimber on the back. mirrors smashed off, windows broke, no brakes. when we moved it in the yard we'd start it up put it in gear and stand on running board to see where we were going. haha good times. anyways I like the pics, reminds me of home
Man that sounds pretty fun! If you got any pictures from back then, feel free to post em' up here. Got plenty more coming so I'll try and bring more memories back for yah. I got a camp in Township 37 so whenever I'm up that way I try to grab some photos.
unfortunately I don't have any pictures from those days, but its good to see some downeast logging.
Enjoyed the pics. Looks a lot like how logging is done up here. Most guys are still running duals on the trailers here, I see that log trailer has super singles on it.
Oh yeah it does look like that, didn't notice that before. I want to check out some Canadian logging sometime soon.
Just a small powerline thinning job in Southern Maine not sure on the exact town.
I am not in the logging business, but it goes on all around here so it is hard not to notice. Anyway I keep checking the logging operation and logging equipment forums but all they usually have is a bunch of guys talking about PNW and BC big log operations, yarders and obsolete log trucks. No disrespect intended to them but I would like to see more posts like this on there. Nice to see this thread, looks more like how they do it today. Used to be all chainsaws and cable skidders around here but they are getting rare except for small operators and really rough ground.
I hear yah, I know where you are coming from. I got a few more jobsites I can post and I'll try and get some more when I head back up that way this fall and winter.
Clearing in Scarborough, ME for a new sub-division.
Saw two log trucks today. Both had 4 axle trailers, super singles on the air lift. Might be new or modified trailers to meet the new SPIF regs here, you now need steerable lift axles to get full axle weight allowance. SPIF stands for Safe, Productive, Infrastructure-Friendly (SPIF), came into full effect 2011. Faq is here. Regs are linked in question 5 http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/vwd/questions-and-answers.shtml Is this just in Ontario or are other states/provinces doing similar things?
I couldn't find anything in Maine having to have the steerable axle. Just the normal weight to number of axle's ratio.
All lift axles need to be steerable by 2015 in NY.
I know most of you enjoy some good fishing so here are a few shots of some good brook trout we caught up to my camp. As well as some scenery and my trusty 12 year old German Short-Haired bird dog.
Nice shots. Working with a great equipment will surely gave you a good work.