I am looking at buying my first dozer. How do I tell if the D4XL is a Hystat or power shift? It has 2 levers on the left side. One lever has 1-2-3 and is two position reverse or forward. there is another lever to the left of that that says governor. It is a pedal steer I am assuming as it has three foot pedals. There is another lever on the right side that may control the 6 way blade. I will be using this on my farm for general cleanup and small tree removal. How do I tell how much life is left in the undercarriage? The adjustment on the tracks seems to be about 1-1/2 inches forward from what may be new from the looks of the paint. Thanks
Get another couple of posts in and you'll be able to post photos - a picture tells far more than any amount of text can.
Thanks. I will take some pictures and see if they will post. BTW, the machine is a 1996 and has 4400 hours on it.
The machine is pretty clean for its age and is owned by a local construction company.
I assume it has been used mostly for pad prep as it doesn't look like it has been abused.
You should now be able to post photos. There is a "how to" thread somewhere.
I'd say it's not a hystat if it has a lever with 3 speeds forward and reverse and 3 foot pedals. The governor lever is the throttle. The left and right pedals are the brakes and steering clutches and the middle pedal brakes both tracks.
After looking at pictures of other dozers it is NOT a Hystat.
I'll post pictures this afternoon and thanks.
Don't let the small doZer fool you you can push large trees outwits them nice you learn The machine you can do a lot with them but there are repairs required like all machines
Looks like this needs a lot of work. I am assuming the bushings have been rotated after they wore completely through.
You are looking at a power shift. Later Bob
One more picture.
I'd guess somebody just wore the undercarriage to destruction and never turned the bushings. Not many places turn pins and bushings anymore. If the track pads are still tight and in good shape, they can be reused with new bolts but you'll probably need bottom rollers and maybe idlers in addition to rails and sprocket segments. Top carriers might be OK too. I'd figure about $10,000(more for Cat) for undercarriage when negotiating the purchase price and that's before checking the rest of the machine out. What kind of price are they asking?
$23,000 I haven't heard it run but I doubt I will be interested at this point.
The photos of the undercarriage prove that while it may or may not have been abused in its lifetime they certainly didn't believe spending money on undercarriage. You have to ask yourself if the undercarriage is in the state it's in what has been neglected on the rest of the machine, despite the fact that outwardly it appeared clean and tidy at first sight..? Could still be worth buying, but only at the right price.
To me it's only worth $15,000 and I'm sure the fellow won't go for that!