Hey Everyone- Looking for some advice on trailer ratings. I just picked up an older Ford f-350 pickup truck with utility box and am looking at backhoe about the size of a Deere 310c, 210c or Case 580. My question is, how big of a trailer would I need to haul a backhoe this size. I have no clue what these backhoes weigh, or how the whole GVWR deal works, so any help would be great. I've seen 20 ft tandem axle trailers saying they are rated for 14,000lbs, would something like that be big enough? They look like beefy car trailers and say they have a width of 82 inches between the fenders. Im not looking to haul down interstates or even at highway speeds, just pull from one farmsite to the next every once in a while. thanks
Check this link out. http://http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specification?type=Construction+Equipment&category=Loader+Backhoe&make=Case&model=580M&modelid=91945 Gross vehicle weight is the total weight allowed. Weight of trailer (tare weight) plus the backhoe load will have to be less than the GVWR. You will have to take into account the allowable towing capacity of your truck as well as tongue weight. The trailer GVWR will be based on the rating of the axles, there are 3500lb, 7000lb and 10000lb axles. I pulled a tilt deck trailer where the tires were the load limiting factor. Each tire had a load rating and when the 8 tires were added up it was less than the GVWR.
Can you use a gooseneck or does it need to be a bumperhitch? That would be a lot to pull with a bumper hitch IMO You will need a 20k# trailer and it need to be a deckover(no fenders) since the backhoe wont fit between the fenders
This is just my opinion,but you may want to look at a bigger truck as well.An older F350 is small to pull the a 310 JD or a 580 Case.I know it can do it,but your going to have the tail wagging the dog scenario,esp with a bumper pull. If you are going to do it,I suggest a gooseneck,like was stated above,10 ton minimum,prefferably a 12t. A Case 580 will kill a 14KGVWR trailer in no time,as it will overload it,and will need to be a deckover.
Also lets not forget you will need a class A cdl to tow anything over 10,000# commercially.
Cough Cough...Not necessarily.... But yes the backhoe behind a F350 will need a class A Unless there is special provisions for farm use
Thanks for all the replies guys- So does the GVWR include the weight of the truck, or is it just the weight of the trailer and backhoe? Doing a little research, a JD210c weighs around 10,800 lbs, and has a wheel width of 75 inches. I cant use a 5th wheel as my truck has a utility box on the back. So, if I bought a 14,000# trailer that has a distance of 82 inches between the fenders, would a 10,800lb JD210c be too much for it? It would fit on the actual trailer, just wondering if it would smash it! My Dad had a small construction company before he passed away 5 years ago, he used to haul a 410A (late 60's?) on a triple axle pintle hitch trailer he had behind his 88' Ford F-250 just fine. Prob not legal, but pulled it!
That combo would be under CDL
Just going by the Richie Bros specs from my link above, the width of the JD210c is 7.5 ft or 90 inches. It gave the metric width at 2300 mm which also converts to 90 inches. You will need a deckover trailer.
GVWR= Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and is for the individual unit, in this case the trailer. GCWR- Gross Combined Weight Rating which is the entire combination of truck, trailer and cargo. You'll be exceeding that on the F-350 by quite a bit and certainly won't be legal, and in my opinion won't be safe either. I have a skid steer I move occasionally with my 350 when the 550 isn't available and believe me, it's a handful. Yes, I can get the job done but I've got my cheeks clamped for the whole ride. You either need to look a lighter machine or a heavier truck.
Steve can you tell us what the GCWR for a F350 is and where to find it on the truck Thanks
After further review It would depend on the exact configuration of you truck
For a backhoe, I'd prefer a GN. But - be sure and look at your actual hitch carrying capacity. It should be stamped in the receiver hitch itself. You might see it isn't near heavy enough for your task at hand. Most are topping out at 10,000 when used in a weight distributing capacity, 5,000# in a regular tow mode. And re-reading your post, if you'll haul that little- what about just roading the lil rascal??
The GCVWR is the gvwr of the pickup added with the gvwr of the trailer. If you look in ford brochures they have GCVW ratings, but they are not a legal rating like the GVWR stamped on the ID tag. If your pickup is 11k and trailer is 14k then your GCVWR is 25k. Put a 24k trailer behind it and it jumps to 35k. Or in my case when I was running a hotshot I had a F350 legal in 48 states to run 42k.(12k pickup and 30k trailer)