Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need clarification on bleeding system after fuel filter change on bobcat s150

clydesdale6 ยท 2020-11-01 17:09

Hi, I changed the fuel filter and primed the fuel filter itself and have clean diesel that shoots out of the bleed hole. But, my manual also talks about priming the injectors and there is a knob/screw right above the oil fill cap. The problem is that the directions in the manual get funky and they discuss both vents and I am not sure what they are talking about, should fuel flow from that top knob/screw? Please clarify. Thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1Birken Vogt2020-11-01 19:19

    I presume this is the common Kubota engine. Open the fuel line knob that is on the injection pump (near the oil fill on ones I have seen). Run the primer pump a bunch more. Leave it open 1/4 turn (or leave it open all the way) and crank it up. Should be fine and eat any air you may have introduced. If it dies and won't restart then open knob and pump some more and try again. I never crack injectors on any of this stuff, just get fuel to the injection pump and it should be fine. Honestly it should be fine the way you have already done it. But more sure if you bleed a little at the IP.

  2. #2clydesdale62020-11-01 21:01

    Thanks. What I don't get is if fuel should come out of the knob if I prime the bulb enough? I am confident that the filter is fine and no air shoot out of that vent, but the knob has nothing coming out of there. Yes, it is the Kubota. Thanks.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2020-11-01 21:30

    If it is like the Kubotas I have seen, the fuel comes in from the mechanical pump to the inlet to the injection pump. The knob opens a valve from there that allows fuel to return by the injector leak-off tees and back to the tank. So the knob is there for air bleeding but no mess, it is all contained. I don't know why Kubota wants you to run the engine with the knob closed but they do. But on other manufacturers that use the same fuel system, there is no knob at all and the small fuel return line is always open, so fuel is flowing back to tank at all times.

  4. #4clydesdale62020-11-01 21:54

    ok. So, I should not expect to see fuel drip from that knob? That makes more sense.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2020-11-02 00:23

    If it is the knob I am thinking, it opens a passageway from the pressurized fuel coming in, to the small tube running across all the injectors and back to tank. It is a bleed valve they have provided that does not make a mess.

  6. #6clydesdale62020-11-02 08:39

    ok, so it is not supposed to drip out and down the block. Good, because it isn't it. Thanks.