Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help identifying New Holland / Ford power unit

koalamotorsport · 2024-09-16 20:37

Hi all. I have a 2wd Harlo forklift. It is based on a Ford/New Holland 2wd power unit. Information I got from prior owner claims that it is a 1992 model. The serial number he supplied, according to New Holland, makes it a 555D. It is not. I have not confirmed the serial, as I cannot find where it is on the machine, so am not posting it here. Harlo themselves don't seem to know what it is either. Suggesting 545C and 455D. Of those two, 455D makes most sense, as this machine is a 201ci 3 cylinder diesel. 545 and 555 are 4 cylinder as far as I can find. The issue in question is that I need a tie rod assembly but the part(s) I have ordered for the 545/455/555 models do not even come close to fitting this machine. According to the Harlo parts book, the steering is completely stock New Holland / Ford, so they do not list any replacement part numbers in the book. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Replies17
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-09-17 08:51

    Get the mdl number off the inj pump name plate. Ex) 3233f390 & plug it into Google.. that’ll at least confirm the engine and possibly the machine mdl. Good luck

  2. #2Tinkerer2024-09-17 09:39

    A 545C is whole different tractor from a the ones you referred to. 3 CYL TRACTOR LOADER | New Holland Construction | MyCNH US Store www.mycnhstore.com

  3. #3NH575E2024-09-17 09:48

    Do you know if the end is threaded into the tube? You might need to take it apart and measure the taper and threads to get it matched up. Try contacting these folks. https://www.liftpartswarehouse.com/product-p/sy86816.htm

  4. #4koalamotorsport2024-09-17 20:18

    The end is staked into the sleeve. The only threads are at the inboard end. The end is staked into the sleeve. The only threads are at the inboard end.

  5. #5koalamotorsport2024-09-17 20:19

    I recently rebuilt the pump. In my attempt to save time and simply find a rebuilt, I googled the number to death and came back with essentially zero results.

  6. #6koalamotorsport2024-09-17 20:25

    Unfortunately, the 545C has a completely different steering system than my machine. Hydraulic cylinders on each side with a drag link between the knuckles. While my machine's steering is still hydraulic, it contains a pair of traditional tie rod assemblies.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2024-09-17 21:40

    How about posting the pump #.

  8. #8Tinkerer2024-09-18 08:08

    Maybe someone removed the plate on purpose. I looked at several forklifts like yours of varying ages and the id plate is in the same place on all of them. The serial number could be stamped on the frame somewhere. Contact Harlo and ask them some questions.

  9. #9NH575E2024-09-18 09:51

    Still might be able to find a match at the liftpartswarehouse link. When you go to the site a chat box pops up.

  10. #10Check Break2024-09-18 22:04

    That's a 555 D or C series platform. You can see that by the shape of the axle and the 8 lug wheels. The serial number is on the bell housing stamped into a flat area above the starter. Go to messicks.com and look up your front axle under tractor model 555D or 555C. Messicks can confirm the part number when you give them your serial number and they'll tell you the tie rod is NLA from New Holland. However, it is available aftermarket if my numbers are correct. You need to confirm for yourself. https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/tie-rod-end-new-ford-83961705-new-holland-153598.html

  11. #11koalamotorsport2024-10-02 20:54

    Thank you sir. That part certainly looks like what I need, and New Holland says the serial number I got from the previous owner is a 555D, but this thing has a 3 cyl diesel and everything I read says the 555D has a 4cyl. Actually, Richie Specs claims 6cyl..... I will look for the serial on the bell housing!

  12. #12koalamotorsport2024-10-02 21:03

    Damn, scratch that. 83961705 is what I had ordered previously and it's approx 4.5 inches too long, which was another reason to believe this machine is not actually a 555D.

  13. #13Check Break2024-10-03 10:17

    So, after comparing the picture you posted of your tie rod end (attached) and the picture of the tie rod end Messicks shows as part no. 83961705 (attached), you're right, there's something wrong. The Messicks (OEM) part looks longer than yours and it looks like a standard tie rod end pressed into a tube. It's not forged like yours. The picture of the ASAP tie rod looks like it's forged and the correct length, but then I used to be a much better judge of distance than I am now. I hate to steer you the wrong way (HaHa) so you're going to have to judge for yourself. You should be able to return the ASAP end if it's wrong. Order by phone and ask. Otherwise, it's the New Holland end for you and you'll have to cut it down. You'll have a part that works but it won't be as strong as a forged end. As for whether you have a 3 or 4 cylinder engine, that's not important. Ford put 4 cylinder engines in 3 cylinder platforms so it's reasonable to assume Harlo just upgraded to the heavier front axle (4 cyl.) when they ordered the basic 3 cylinder tractors upon which they built your forklift.

  14. #14Check Break2024-10-03 10:24
  15. #15Check Break2024-10-03 10:26

    Forgot the attachments. I can't upload the ASAP picture so you'll have to view it online.

  16. #16koalamotorsport2025-05-11 12:09

    So it turns out that the part number 83961705 is correct, but most folks have the inventory mis-marked. That number from Messicks, and many other sellers, is NOT the correct part, it is far too long. The earlier part number is E7NN3280DA and crosses to the 83961705. Searching for both numbers online finally found the correct part on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CP23LYHF Cheap and Chinese, but this machine sees only a couple of hundred hours per year, so I have high hopes it will last. It was a perfect fit. Thanks to all who took the time to reply and sorry it took so long to report back.

  17. #17NH575E2025-05-11 16:36

    Glad you solved it and followed up with the fix. I bought a NLA cylinder kit through Messicks from their "other sources" that came in all wrong. The package had been opened and none of the seals matched the original description for the part number. They got it returned and credited and gave me names of a few dealers showing NOS. I called one that said they had it in an unopened package and I bought that one. Still haven't tried to use it but the seals measure the correct diameter for the cylinder specs.