Rebuilding the power shuttle cause it wasn't working just right on startup. Got to part #22 - and noticed that the orientation in the picture is opposite from the way I recalled removing it when dismantling. It's not clear exactly from the drawing, but appears that the slotted end of #22 goes to the 'right', toward part #16. However, on disassembly #22 was the other way, with the slot toward the 'left' and the cupped end toward #16. Now I'm not sure which is correct. I have no idea if it was rebuilt sometime in the past and perhaps this part was incorrectly positioned, or that this manual is incorrect. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
Can't say for sure John, but I would assemble as per the picture - good detail in the drawing, so there should be less confusion.
The slotted end goes to the rt on the small shuttle valve inner seat, then the shuttle valve outer seat slot faces the inner. In neutral the ball is in the middle, in forward it moves to the rt and seats, and in reverse it seats to the lt.
Sheepfoot, thanks for the definitive reply. I tended to agree with Alrman simply because the slots matching made sense and the drawing was pretty clear. But I was uncertain since it was assembled differently and the smaller shuttle had a 'cup' on the opposite end which also matched the size of the ball. And the cup wasn't part of the drawing. So I'll assemble according to you all's direction and hope that this in fact corrects my odd problem on shifting. (For more on that see: HeavyEquipmentForums )
Thanks all for the help. Fortunately I got it all back together as recommended. And it still works. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem that I was hoping it would - so on to plan B. Which is servicing the torque converter hosing in accordance with service manual section 6205-13. Unless there is something broken it would seem to be also all o-ring replacement. I plan on doing it in-place, ie no removal of the housing. Any thoughts, experiences or comments ???