I have a 2013 volvo ecr58. Bought it not running. Got it running and it has weak hydraulics. But everything works. I checked the filters and they were clogged with a slime like substance in the hydraulic tank. So I decided to clean the tank. After pumping all the fluid out (The fluid was dark and muggy looking). I found a good bit of brass shavings at the bottom and one big chunk of brass. Before I invest in filling this thing back up. To see if it will operate. I was wondering can someone identify this part? Any idea where to start looking? Any help would be awesome. Thanks
Not a Volvo guy but looks like a slipper foot off a piston pump
You probably have chunks of Brass in the system, including in control valves, pressure regulators, relief valves or anywhere. Too be truthful if there was brass in the bottom of the hydraulic tank, the only way youwill fix is to remove every hose, valve,pump, regulators, whatever. They have to be disassembled and redone with new seals. If this machine has lots of hours, refill with oil and sell unless you are very mechanically inclined and have a lots of time and lots of money for all the repairs. 1 piece left behind can take out a pump or control valve and you are starting again. My friend just had that happen to a Cat 308 Excavator on warranty for one more month. Dealership removed every hose and valve, and pump and final drives. All new, costed more than machine was worth. He did not have to pay , was closer to $100000.00 Or take your chances, if it starts and runs now, easier to sell. If it grenades the hydraulic system, it will go to scrap yard. Tough choice, yours in the end. Simon C
This was my first thought. But I have a hard time believing this size chunk made it all the way through the system. But im not sure. Thanks for the input.
I'm not sure i wanna go through every single thing. I know that's the right thing to do but I just don't have the time. But I also don't wanna just stick the next guy with it. Hopefully something comes from this post and I can repair it and do my best at flushing the system and praying. Thanks for your input.
well, brass is a softer metal... might be it just gets chewed up over time by the gear pumps. and the filters catch most it it. not something you want to have happen, but hey, it's not sand, iron, or steel! Still, you probably want to figure out how that got into the bottom of the tank. I suppose you need to know the flow of the hydraulic system - did it come from the pump, or is it something out of the valve block that somehow looks similar? whichever direction that the fluid travels to dump into the reservoir without hitting the filter... I'd work backwards from that. Just how I'd look at it... not that it's the right way!
Are there case drain hoses on pumps I would think chunks would go to tank thru them and not thru high pressure side
Yes, I believe your right. Working backwards from the tank return is the way. Just hoping we have a volvo wizard on here. That just knows it all. Lol
Good point. Didn't think of that. Will definitely check.
As stated it does look like a slipper foot from either the pump, travel or swing motors. Case drains go straight back to tank with no filter. There is a suction strainer so there should be no large chunks passed into the system. I would check each of the component case drain outlets for debris first and repair as you find failed components. I would add new hyd. oil and run it, then address as needed. The other choice is to disassemble and clean the system.
Cutting the filter open and checking for debris should be one of the first things to check. I agree that a piece that large likely came from a case drain. Figuring out which one is the problem.
Welcome to the Forums Dz. Glad to have you. Are you a mechanic, contractor, homeowner/end user or used equipment dealer? Give us a little more information about the machine and your intentions for it.
Could be previous contamination, but I highly doubt that.
Would sure help to know some of the history of the machine.