Hey guys, I'm new here to the forum and I need some help. My '89 350D CAT has been running great up until last week. I had a vibration in the truck cab that has gotten much worse over the last few days. I parked the truck due to fear I might due further damage. When the truck idles you can feel the cab "shake"..... the more you press the fuel peddle the worse the shake. We initially thought it might be the engine (piston, rod, bearings) but a oil sample test showed "normal" wear. Could it be the flywheel?? ANY help would be appreciated.
Well, I don't know anything about a 350D, not even sure what engine that is, but the more info you can provide may help us a bit. Does the engine still run smooth, or like it has a missing cylinder? How is the throttle response? Still quick, or is it sluggish? Is the exhaust clear, or maybe puffing some white smoke?
My apologies....should have added more info. The CAT350 has a 3306 Engine. The engine still runs pretty smooth when it's idling, but the more you press on the accelarator the greater the cab shakes. I really haven't rev'd it up too much because of the violant shake, but it has gotten a bit sluggish. I checked each injector but they were working properly. When you first start the truck you see a bit of black smoke but that's it.
Does not sound good, could be something in your torque converter or one of the pump drives off the converter. Last week we lost the engine in our D25c, was running fine then froze up tight. Pulled front of pan off and everything looked fine, then pulled converter and housing off. converter turned free and nothing broke on flywheel. Pretty sure now its prob a main. How many hours on your D250?
Try checking for a fan blade fallen off or crankshaft vibration damper collapsed.....
Undo each Fuel Line one by one and check the NOTE of the Engine changes.....may be an Element in the Fuel Pump? Missing Balance weights on a Drive shaft? Engine/Cab Mounts?? Remove the Jack Shaft and see if it is smoother.......
Guys.....I really appreciate all the responses. I'm still going thru the list, but I'll let you all know what the problem was
I have 4 d400 front ends that would probably fit a 350. 2000ish models. 3000 hrs.. Run great nothing known wrong with them. I'd love to sell them.
Maybe a broken engine mounting or faulty vibration damper?
problem solved? ever find your vibration?
my problem I did finally find the problem. The spline that connects to the torque coverter and runs thru the flywheel broke. Although it broke completely, it fused with the barings which allowed it to still move (causing the extreme vibration). Parts to replace it ran about 2k.