Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need ideas on new ventures

bdog1234 ยท 2015-05-12 11:31

I have a small business and primarily do work in the oilfield. We don't really live in an oilfield area we travel 3-5 hours for most our oilfield work. We have insurance and all that. Up until the downturn in oil prices we were so busy we didn't know if we were coming or going so we never really explored other ways to make money. Now things have slowed way down and we are only working around 10 days a month. We run the business conservatively and thus are not really hurting too bad but I would like to find something to do with our free time to keep my guys busy and bring in some additional income. Equipment we have is a tracked skid steer, a backhoe, a dump trailer, and equipment trailers to move the equipment around. Where we live they are building houses and businesses like crazy. Thought it might be good to get into working on site preparation, foundations, etc. or maybe anything that we could use our equipment for. I am not even opposed to buying some more equipment if needed. We did a huge job in December and didn't get paid for it until January so I have a lot of income in the books for this year that I wouldn't mind offsetting with an equipment purchase. I have always liked technology. I was thinking about possibly getting one of those laser controlled graders for the skid steer but I have never used one and don't really know the market for it. Seems that if I could get in with some concrete guys I could do a bang up job leveling their sites before pours. Also could do finish work on all these new houses they are building. Basically just looking for ideas in general for something that could make money and could take up 10-15 days a month. It doesn't have to make a fortune or enough to support me, just enough to be able to pay a couple of guys and keep them working and make a small profit. Any ideas? I might add that where we live is farm land. No trees or hills. Flat as a pancake here. I have always wanted to buy a dozer but the demand for them is not that great here.

Replies4
  1. #1stumpjumper832015-05-17 20:48

    flat ground farming usually means drain tile, is that the case in your area?

  2. #2fixou8122015-05-18 06:07

    If there's alot of building construction and modification of established businesses How about directional drilling under streets and into pre existing businesses. YouTube Ditch Witch 2020 directional drilling Probably not much competition and you wouldn't have to work it many days a month to pay for it.

  3. #3fixou8122015-05-18 06:24

    "ONE Good idea is worth a lifetime of work." (my pap) One fiber optic contractor could keep you busy. Also for air conditioning or a business was adding another walk in cooler they may need drilling. I've drilled under lots of streets and intersections under creeks and many driveway aprons "in a row"

  4. #4bdog12342015-05-21 01:49

    Not really. Pretty dry here and not much time that I am aware of.