I need 60 mm dia. replacement pins. Komatsu parts catalog lists only by part no. with no dimensions, and pins for bucket-only application. Adding the thumb requires a longer pin, but so far no-one in the country seems to be able to provide dimensions, referencing again only by part number. Komatsu says buckets and thumbs are after-market so they don't have numbers for the longer pins. I have "SOS" bucket and thumb without model number. Existing pins look like maybe home-made. I'd be happy to make them from 60mm bar stock but so far have only found that diameter in England. Found a great manufacturer in Australia, but wholesale only. I'd prefer not to make my own from 1.5" stock if possible. Trying to avoid India and China just for the anticipated shipping delay. Does anyone have a USA source for pins specified by size, or a source of 60mm rod in the USA? Same for bushings? Thanks
look on ebay. There are a few on there in the USA.
Who is the mfr of the thumb? That is who you would reach out to for a replacement. There should be a tag riveted or welded somewhere in a non-wear area, oftentimes with an 800# for service and support
You would need 2.5" (63.5mm) diameter bar in order to machine down for the 60mm pins you require. 1.5" is less than 40mm in diameter.
But you have 5 shear plane, i would think you wouldn't want to use bar stock, it would get deformed and become one with the stick. Just my opinion
To manufacture pins I'd have thought something like 4130 or 4140. What I was most concerned to point out above was that the OP had converted incorrectly from metric to inches and was looking for the wrong diameter of bar.
All are relevant and helpful replies, yet I'm still hoping for a pin source that actually lists dimensions since that is the only way I will know that the pin I order will be longer than that otherwise specified by Komatsu's standard replacement. Bucket and thumb are "SOS" brand circa 1980s perhaps, which does not come up on Google search. No tags or other identifying numbers have been found after thorough cleaning. Komatsu dealer could not locate SOS either but had heard of them. My bad, of course its 2.5 inch, (older brain issue, perhaps). Yes shaft hardness is a concern. Nice if not as hard as bushings because shaft is easier to replace, but ... . Much of the wear was due mostly from grease not reaching the moving surfaces, which I hope to correct along the way. The bucket, in particular, flops around a bit and even has a missing bushing(!), however, (embarrassingly) I've used it this way for most of 20 years. It's only guilt and what's left of professional pride that has driven me to seek the repair as I haven't wanted to elongate the machine's "base" holes, however the wear is mostly bushings and pins and they still function. I hate to admit it but, staying with the old tried and (mostly) true (pins and bushings) might be the most functional solution for now as I have a couple of jobs lined up. I'm also considering welding and machining the old pins but not sure what filler wire or rod to use (7018 rod or equivalent wire would be my initial "go to") but I must also consider my more amateur than professional welding and machining skills. Fortunately I'm retired and my career and livelihood don't depend on this all being perfect. If some of this sounds pathetic, when I bought the machines I had no operator experience, only the desire to fulfill a childhood dream. Although I'm and engineer and fairly versatile mechanic, I've learned much about heavy equipment "the hard" way, and some of the dreams have occasionally turned to nightmares. Thanks again to all for the interest and replies.
Yes Nige, and good suggestions on the steel grade. I looked at McMaster-Carr (an old "go to" staple) that usually has material in various grades, but I quit when their round stock only went to 50mm., same with another US steel supplier. I found potential suppliers in England, India, and possibly through Alibabba, but I was hoping for a quick turnaround with a local supplier. Now that it may take more time and I'm willing to consider operating for awhile longer "as is" it changes my search criteria. I'd rather just wait for correct parts and be productive in other areas than spend inordinate time trying to machine my own replacements. I'll continue searching for proper off-the-shelf replacements. Perhaps my Komatsu authorized dealer will let me peruse their stock shelves with micrometer and tape in hand in the hopes of stumbling on a proper pin. (This might take some serious cajoling!) Thanks again for the reply.
Solesbees comes to mind. If you could attach a picture, perhaps it may be something someone knows, has known or "been down that road before. " Excavator Hydraulic Pin Mounted Thumbs » Solesbees Solesbees pin mounted hydraulic thumb excavator thumbs provides the versatility needed to get the most out of your excavator. The thumb’s design enables you to pick and move more material more efficiently. solesbees.com Check the link, see if that's what you're up against.
Well, there's the power of the Heavy Equipment Forum. I called Solesbees who were most gracious and helpful, wiling to measure and supply a pin that will work, perhaps with some modification. The cost is a bit steep, over $500 with shipping by ground across country, but still easier than making one at home. Sometimes one just has to be prodded to think "out of the bucket." Thanks again to funwithfuel and everyone who chimed in.