Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need old 530 parts help

Brandt ยท 2011-05-28 13:24

I have an old '66 530CK backhoe with a 158 gasoline engine in it. I am having a power problem and am suspecting the distributor. When it idles it seems to miss on #2 cylinder. When I run up the rpm's with no load on it, it will catch and run fine. As soon as I put a load on the engine it falls flat on it's face. I don't even have the power to get it to drive a slight incline. The engine was rebuilt about 250 hours ago and has worked good until now. The carb was just rebuilt again. When rebuilding the engine, I noticed the the distributor has worn and moved a bit in the dist. well. All I could find at the time was an electronic upgrade, not a reman dist. Basicly, through the process of elimination, it has to be something in the ignition system and I am thinking distributor. I will take any and all input to get this thing up and running. It doesn't even have enough power to get on my trailer to take it to a mechanic.

Replies2
  1. #1shopteacher 12011-05-29 18:16

    Did you check to see what cylinders you have fire to and how strong the spark is? If given the option to upgrade to electronic ignition, go for it! I have changed over every gas engine I have that had point to electronic and have never had a regret. John

  2. #2Brandt2011-05-30 10:01

    #2 is the problem. I don't mind - actually prefer an electronic ignition - I just don't want info and links on getting an elec ign upgrade. I think the problem lies in the wobble that is in my dist. PS - Where in DE are you?? Do you teach at one of the Vo-Tech schools in New Castle county?? I am a Delcastle grad.