Good day ! Any of you running "Sandvik" brand boards ? I'm just curious about longevity and abrasion wear , versus our Boundary boards. The Boundary boards are hard surfaced on the face and back bottom and the Sandvik are not. Thanks
Sorry, but im a bit off here... What do you mean by boards? System 2000 with rotating nobs? or plain straight edges? US style? Here is some pics of our Sandvik system 2000
Yep ! The rotating knobs system...
So basically your system is the same as the Sandvic but hard surfaced? My guess is that your system would last longer then. Any pics of your blades?
Still not with you on the question. The Sandvik nobs are hardened with a special material in the tips. Over here most graders have them for winter maintenance because they last much longer than the normal blades. Normal blades over here are different than yours though. A look at the pics i have posted show u what we got over here. I've also posted some pics of our blade design in the thread "serrated edges." Operators here take them off and mount slick ones if they do fine grading. Gravel maintenance is no problem with the sandvik system. Here is some pics of our "normal" winter blades: As u see we got a mounting plate behind the boards, and mount the boards with wedges.
Hi MKTEF It's the board holding the rotating picks that I'm inquiring about. Most of the Sandvik or Bucyrus board I saw are a lot thinner than ours and no hard surfacing on them. As for your blade system ( Olofsfors right ? ), one equipment dealer wants us to try them but I'm a bit apprehensive of the sturdiness of the wedges...
Kennametal is what I Run Alberta Here's a link to there website; http://www.kennametal.com/en-US/home.jhtml;jsessionid=OGYLC4ZLOSNPLLAUCYPCFEVMCQFBYIV0?_requestid=659155 and here's there Motor Grader PDF http://www.kennametal.com/images/pdf/products_services/energy_mining_construction/Blades_Catalog_B08-01_041108.pdf I swear by these things. I use them when finishing recycled asphalt and have gotten close to 2000 hours from a set of teeth as long as I keep them out of the big rocks. If your dealing with rocks they don't last quite as long, but still are plenty tough. I also use them to rip the ice when I'm finishing the drilling pad grade and use them to texture the corners on the iceroad and the aircraft runway on the lakes. In ice they last forever. When I plowed on a borough contract I used them to get rid of ice at stop signs and intersections, but you have to careful or you'll scar the asphalt underneath. We built the tool bar on the back by using a 1" thick, 8" tall cutting edges for a 16H/M so it has 3/4" bolt holes with the exact hole pattern we need. Our welders cut four new teeth at just the right angle then welded them to the cutting edge and added some angle bracing. So to remove it from the ripper you just knock out the four ripper tooth pins. It's pretty easy to remove and install. Also by building it this way we can unbolt the Kennametal blades right off the back and mount them on the moldboard when the application requires it. I use the 1 1/4" thick x 5" tall Kennametal parent plates, I have one 48" long and two 36" for a total of 10' on the 14H and use three 36" long blades on the back of the 160H. I run the #C-87KCSB-SR tooth. This tooth works great in recycled asphalt and ok on Ice. Kennametal make all different types of teeth. I've run the sharper style teeth, but they don't hold up in heavy aluvial gravel nearly as well. Regards, Randy
Great pictures! I've never seen them mounted on the rear rippers like that. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Alberta. Regarding the Sandvik boards they are the only and dominating produser over here. I have not heard of them braking or beeing destroyed. They are hardened all trough. I know that the ends can be worn away if you dont use end protections. But then u just move it "in" on the moldboard. I can affirm the same as Randy says, the sharped nobs is fantastic on ice and snow, but wears fast in summer conditions. The one and most important thing is to have the right angle and that the nobs rotate.(a little bit of antifreece on them in the evening) You are conserned about the wedges? I have never heard or experienced that the wedges we use is a problem. U mount them and check them later the same day, and then they are tight as a rock untill u want to change/turn the blade. All graders here in scandinavia use the wedge system, its a standard for everybody. And we got a number of board producers to choose between for supplies of new blades. A medium hammer and u change/turn your blades in 15 min. Try it out on one of your graders, and your operators wont go back to the old system. Nice pics and setup Randy! You dont get extra wear because the nobs dont rotate at the ripper? I know it takes very little to wear a spot on them if they dont rotate.
They would last a long time just using them on ice without rotating wouldn't they?