Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need some help with a 773g series

ermineerwhatbuc ยท 2009-07-19 18:25

My g series 773 bobcat is squawking, like a belt squeal,so i put a new drive belt on, because the old one was kinda worn, but she still squawks. she'll quit squawking when in reverse so Ive rules out the fan belt or alternator belt, ive got to believe it the drive squawking. Any suggestions?:beatsme:usa

Replies8
  1. #1TALLRICK2009-07-20 00:32

    You did check the idler bearing, right? Other than that only the fan or alternator belt can make noise, and those would either be from a bad fan gearbox or alternator issues.

  2. #2mrfixitpaul2009-07-20 06:57

    Does the machine 'creep' when in neutral? Maybe need a steering adjustment. If it was a drive belt issue it probably would be in both directions, but you have it tight enough, right? Also how's the spring tensioner on the fan drive belt? They can bind up on the pivot bolt and not keep tight enough, causing squeal.

  3. #3ermineerwhatbuc2009-07-20 08:33

    she stays put with no creep, and I'll check the fan belt tensioner. The drive belt is tight, a four foot bar tight.

  4. #4bustedknuckle2009-07-20 20:14

    Don't over tighten it, the drive belt tensioner is spring loaded.

  5. #5ermineerwhatbuc2009-07-20 20:41

    yeah I tightened it and released it until the tightener was in the 3 oclock position like the manual said. I just don't want it be some in the hydraulics loaded up and causing internal damage, and that's why she's squawking.:beatsme

  6. #6ermineerwhatbuc2009-07-22 14:17

    thanks guys Thanks guys, i put a bungie chord on the fan tensioner to hold er tight and er was real quiet today, I'll have to find a tensioner assembly to keep er quiet. I don't really understand reversing the machine went quiet, but I'm not mechanic so:beatsme:drinkup:usa

  7. #7bustedknuckle2009-07-22 18:52

    The three o'clock position is bottomed out. Back it up to about 2 o'clock and you'll be good.

  8. #8ermineerwhatbuc2009-07-22 21:18

    yeah I went all the way and backed it off so is wasn't bottoming out, at least thats what the manual said. Is that a mechanics secret?:beatsme:drinkup:usa