Hello all, looking at purchasing a skid steer for working in smaller yards and confined spaces. I have a peterbilt tandem axle dump truck and wondering which manufacturers or models of skid steer would reach high enough to dump into the truck. Trying to save having to bring a backhoe and skid steer to the same job if i don't have to.. Thanks.
It depends on what sideboards you have...
Yea there are a lot of variables in that question. The height of the truck obviously. The type of bucket you put on the skid steer for another. The short lipped buckets are easier. When you look at hinge pin lift height on skid steer spec sheets remember that if you put an extended lip bucket on the skid steer you will be negating some of the pin height. Also look at the reach that is available, often overlooked but in my opinion very important for proper loading of the truck. Obviously the more material you have in the bed on one side or the other as opposed to the middle of the truck, causes some issues when dumping when combined with dumping on uneven ground. The big Gehl and Mustang machines have excellent lift height and the available ROC to use large buckets. There are some OEMs that have extendable loader arms, although no mainstream OEM uses this method, for what that might be worth. There are tip out buckets also available that add to a skid steers ability to dump in high sided trucks if you were so inclined.
115" is the minimum that usually fits far enough over the side of the truck. Like the others said, reach is important. Most machines have enough hydraulic ability to "flip" the material out of the bucket if they can't center load the truck.
The 7810 GEHL has a pin height of about 11' 10" I believe. I thinkit had the best reach out of all the major brands. Unfortunately, that thing huge even by skidsteer standards in both width and length, also weight. Couple of monts ago Construction Equipment mag had a huge skidsteer buyers guide. Try looking at that for some answers, andwhat will be the best value for your buck and right for the job.
Smaller skid for tight spaces might not be the best pic for lifting max heights IMO.My smaller case gets pretty tippy on uneven terrain with a full bucket.
Jd 240 I know that my dad's John Deere 240 has just enough hight to clear my '76 F600 stake body.Not sure how high it is tho.I would have to check
My experience with skid steers ,one thing is to reach over and another to dump the load ,must mid size skids will reach over must dump trucks ,but there is always an exemption and that was my case with my '99 T800, the highest truck I've ever dealt with ,but my machine will reach and dump with ease (2109 Mustang),but any large frame from any brand will do ,I had my sight on the Case 465 ,if for some reason I din't get the Mustang ,I'd tried the S300 but it was to tippy for my taste ,what I would do if it was me measure your truck and go to every manufacturers site and compare your numbers with every particular machine .
You can always get a highdump or rollout bucket. Then you can add extra height to any machine.
We have 3 gehl 7810s at we use them to load asphalt into trucks with boards no problem. Nothing comes within 1.5 feet of what those machines can lift and the tear out strength is impressive. If you don't have clearance issues with the size of the machine (it is large) they're the way to go. Just don't get the perkins engines in them they've have problems with them but the other options are great.
Something else to keep in mind is the counter weights maje sure there are plenty on the machine if you are going to operating a max height max load on a continuis basis. It is no fun kissing the side of the dump whenyou are trying to reach in as far as you can.
A 4in1 bucket makes life a hell of a lot easier when loading at max reach.
if you are looking for specs this is the best site to find everything in one spot http://www.ritchiespecs.com/
bobcat t190 and s185 with standard bucket will will be able to load most trucks. i operate these machines daily and have never not been able to load a truck because of height. Also they are very stable with a full bucket of stone or muck at max height. Steve
I have a New Holland LS 160 (small machine) with a 4n1 bucket and have not found a dump truck yet that I couldn't load. I also have a JD 332 compact track loader with a regular bucket and I can load dump trucks but you spend a lot of time bouncing the bucket once the bed gets a little full. I make elevated ramps and pads if it is alot of material to load. If things get better I will get a 4n1 for the JD. The 4n1 is the key. Also, like someone earlier said have the optional counterweight and keep your dump area level and clean because the NH 160 is/was very tipsy until I bought solid rubber tires they added a huge amount of stability to the machine. Before the solid rubber tires I had the 160 fall into the dump truck bed once. That was very embarasing.
I've noticed the JD machines to be a little nose heavy when carring a full bucket, most of those fitted without the counter weights and on air filled tires. They will lift quite alot where others seem to bog down. Seems thats a design flaw/added feature that Deere hasn't seemed to correct.