Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some help with wheel backspacing 10.00 20 duals

fast_st ยท 2013-02-11 16:04

I think this is called a dayton style wheel hub, five spokes nuts and wedges, two rims one spacer between, tube type. My question is I'm trying to fit tire chains on smokey and there's only about 1.5 inches of clearance between the spring and the tire, so tire chains might be kinda tight! I may be able to tighten the center rail to draw the chain up higher on the sidewall. I'm wondering though about the internals of this hub assembly. Is it possible to space the hub outwards or does that hub hold the bearings as well? Any suggestions on how to gain another inch of clearance? At present we're only running a single tire chain on the outer dual and trying not to get into deep snow much as she'll get stuck pretty easy. Thanks in advance!

Replies1
  1. #1718Scout2013-02-16 23:59

    I think you would be looking for trouble trying to space the hub out. You can get rims with a different offset or get narrower rims. The 10.00 20 tyres will squeeze on to a 7" rim. Yours are probably 8.25" or 9".