Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

VW Bug – 1, F350 – 0

CM1995 · 2013-02-09 20:12

Yesterday was a rain out. Serviced equipment to give the guys a few hours and called it quits. Went home around 10, messed with my guns, corralled the better half up and went out to eat lunch - typical rain day stuff. I was turning left onto a major highway - light turned green, car in the left turn lane to the right of me goes through the intersection (two left turn lanes), I proceed through the intersection and out of the corner of my eye I see a VW bug that isn't going to stop. Mind you my light had been green long enough for the other car to go through. I slam on the brakes stopping in the right southbound lane, hoping the driver would see their error and swerve to miss - this didn't happen. She never slowed down, oblivious to the red light in her direction. Tagged my Ranchhand bumper hard on the drivers side. At first I didn't think much of it as the bumper is built hell-for-stout, which later proved to be a bigger issue than I realized. Everyone was OK, thank God. My better 1/2 was shaken up and my right hand buddy got slung across the back seat but didn't hit the passenger side door due to the "princess" having a multitude of blankets, pillows and sheets as her standard trip fair. At first I got out of the truck, checked the other driver and my passengers and thought it wasn't that much damage - until my better 1/2 couldn't open the passenger door..:cool2 Impact - Damage is a little worse than I thought - The only damage to the Bug, although it was leaking coolant - The impact broke the cast hanger for the sway bar and flexed the frame to the right of the tow chains. Frontal view of damage - I am very thankful that we weren't a few seconds faster and she would have hit me in the drivers door as it could have been much, much worse.:notworthy

Replies138
  1. #1CM19952013-02-09 20:17

    It also broke the frame on the passenger side. I will say it's a testament to the build quality and safety engineering VW puts into their products... As of now I don't know if her insurance company will total it or try to fix it. Personally I don't want a truck that has had a frame repair. The broken frame on the passenger side will be a tricky fix, if it's even possible. Now I have to fight with her insurance company to get fair market value for a 7 year old truck. It's not like I can replace it for what the value is and don't want a payment associated with a new truck in this economy. This really sucks.

  2. #2Treetop2013-02-09 20:18

    Sorry to hear, glad everybody is ok

  3. #3grandpa2013-02-09 20:20

    Was she texting?

  4. #4CM19952013-02-09 20:27

    Thanks Treetop. That's the most important, it could have been a lot worse. Gramps, I'm not sure, I don't think so which makes it that much stranger. Of course it happened very quickly but in slow motion at the same time as these things happen. I didn't notice a phone in her hand right after the collision.

  5. #5willie592013-02-09 20:33

    Good to hear everybody is ok.

  6. #6CM19952013-02-09 21:06

    Thanks Willie, that's really all what matters. Now I have to handle the myriad of crap that comes with dealing with insurance companies. I don't know what the procedure is for totaling a vehicle. If a frame is broken do they automatically total it or do they try and fix it? I know larger truck frames are repaired, lengthened, shortened, etc on a regular basis but how does it work on light truck? Now I have the conundrum of whether I want a truck with a repaired frame or try to find a replacement that will be a used truck that I don't know the history. Bought this truck new in Jan of '06, put all of the 91K miles on it, serviced it regularly and have been the only one that farted in the drivers seat. In the mean time I am in a bright red F150 rental truck.:cool2 I am a die hard Auburn fan and this just adds insult to injury as it was the only truck they had Friday and I needed transportation. It's the same damn color truck on the Nick Saban commercials... ointhead

  7. #7willie592013-02-09 21:14

    Now that's just plain mean.

  8. #8CM19952013-02-09 21:25

    Being from TN, you feel my pain. This afternoon I stopped at a gas station and the guy ahead of me held the door open and said "War Eagle" as I had my orange AU hat on. I was standing in line at the register and he said "I couldn't drive a red truck". I said "It's a rental, my truck was wrecked yesterday". This could only happen in the south.:tong It should have been an ESPN gameday commercial...

  9. #9mitch5042013-02-09 21:37

    Hey, look on the bright side... You got rid of that "death wobble". Now just buy yourself a nice K3500 and you'll never have to worry about it again. Glad everybody is ok. Btw, they do do frame repairs on light trucks, if the truck's value will support it. I have heard from a reliable source that IF it is done right, you'll never know the difference, and if it's not perfect you'll have a bad driving tire-eater. I have stretched a couple, but that was cutting behind the front suspension. Good luck, I hate dealing w/ insurance companies, so you have my sympathy.

  10. #10willie592013-02-09 21:39

    LoL, I totally understand.

  11. #11OzDozer2013-02-09 21:43

    There's a scary thing called "inattentional blindness" in psychology. Simply put, it means that us humans are regularly capable of seeing something such as a red traffic light, or an oncoming train at a railway crossing - and it doesn't register in the brain, and we don't act on it accordingly. It's a factor that is responsible for a lot of smashes, particularly at intersections and railway crossings. In my experience, older people suffer from IB more than younger people. You know the scene - an old lady pulls up at a side street entry on the street you're travelling along - she stares right at you - then promptly pulls right out in front of you. She saw you, but it never registered in her brain. It makes you realise that it pays to check that cross traffic is going to stop when you pull away from a red light. We all do it, we drive off on the green and never think about the person who is barrelling down on our right or left, who is seeing the red light, but it's not registering and they're not acting to brake. Usually, in multiple lanes of traffic, other vehicle movements act as a key reminder that stops others from ignoring red lights when they'r suffering from IB. However, I've watched a guy drive straight down the centre lane of three lanes of traffic - where the inside and outside lanes were stopped, because the light was red - and he just barrelled on through, right into the path of the cars entering on the green. He was obviously suffering from IB. He wasn't on the phone - it could have been intense concentration on a pressing problem, unrelated to driving, that was occupying his mind. There was a very major smash here in Oz some years back where a semi truck driver ran into a passenger train and killed 11 train passengers. He was travelling down the Hwy at an angle towards the train - right in his line of vision - and there were vehicles stopped at the railway crossing lights on the other side of the line. Yet, he claimed he never saw the train. IB appears to have been a factor - the truck driver was a good driver, with a clean record, but he "just didn't see the train" :beatsme

  12. #12CM19952013-02-09 22:06

    LOL. Autotrader is a great resource, searched a few K3500's today. That's what I am worried about Mitch. Check is issued, truck is fixed and then it eats front tires like candy. With 18" tires that's something I can't afford.

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2013-02-10 02:18

    CM First off, glad to hear everyone is OK. Too bad about your truck. I understand you completely on not wanting a questionable used truck, but not wanting a payment on a new one either. I hope it works out for you. Good Luck

  14. #14Jim D2013-02-10 03:12

    CM, What's with the 1 to 0 score in the title of the post?? You're a football fan, the bug's score can only be a field goal or a touchdown...

  15. #15CRAFT2013-02-10 03:18

    First off CM "Glad to hear you and your Way better half are OK" WE were doing a Auto Extrication Coarse last fall (re:Fire Dept.) …. we had the opportunity to cut/spread/tear apart quite a few new and newer cars, there was one of the nations most leading experts there teaching us, he was a retired Battalion Chief to name just one his credentials, from L.A. ……. of all the vehicles we had there was an older VW Jetta …. it had to be one of the TOUGHEST cars there !! … we were using the Newest "Halmatro" cutters and the spreaders (commonly called "Jaw of Life") …. and they really had to work hard to do the job ! (Steve from LA said he'd come across that alot) another surprise was how easy a full sized Volvo Sedan tore apart …… the easiest cars to cut up were ANYTHING Asian, they tore apart like butter …… So your comment about the VW was not out of line ……. If your frame was torn frame forward of the axle you should be OK to get it fixed, but if there is ANY kind of a wrinkle in the firewall that'll be a telltale that the frame is tweaked … not worth repairing …. sorry to say …….. Again glad to here you're all OK

  16. #16CM19952013-02-10 09:18

    Thanks Jerry. Tsk, tsk Jim - after last years dreadfull AU football season I had to resort to basketball, baseball - even soccer and women's water polo. OZ I think that is exactly what happened. I stopped when I saw she wasn't. As you can see from the first pic, it's a big intersection if she would have "seen" me she had enough time and space to veer to the left, all it would have took was 3-4 feet and no impact. This lady was probably early mid 40's. She said she was trying to mash the brakes but there was no sound, no skid marks, just a direct trajectory to the front end of my truck. At first I though she might have been high or drunk the was she was acting but it was probably shock as the police didn't take her in.:beatsme I just hope her insurance is good.:cool2 Thanks Craft. Yeah it absolutely amazed me the VW held up that well hitting a F350 with a Ranch Hand front bumper. I don't know if it was the angle, speed, the build quality of the VW or a combination but that little car is built very well. After seeing that, if anyone is looking for a first car for their kids to drive I would put them in a bug. Me and the better 1/2 joked that even we needed to buy one.... I haven't went to the towing yard (my good friend owns the towing company) so I haven't had time to really go over it where I am not standing in the rain in the middle of an accident scene. I couldn't open the hood to see how the major engine bay components looked. The fan didn't get into the radiator or so it seems. Since suspension and steering components are smacked out of whack, I am really worried about what Mitch said - getting it fixed and it eats tires. I mean geeze the damn truck had "death wobble" from the factory. I had just put all new shocks, steering stabilizer and new tires on it to fix that. :beatsme

  17. #17390eric2013-02-10 10:51

    Just need a good frame man and an accurate frame table. More than likely they will replace the frame or just total it. Have a good friend that that is a writer for body shops. Most likely when its the other persons insurance paying they try at all costs to not total a vehicle. He told me awhile ago when i was invovled in an accident and he fixed it, that these trucks hold value very good even for 7 years old, more than likely it will be written to be fixed or replaced. Back when I did body work, usually it was up tp 63% of the vehicles value, thats when they total it. Heard they increase it every year. If they write it to fix it, mnake absolutely sure they write it for FOrd parts, no aftermarket. She will be paying for it so get the best. Might want to start looking for a shop in the case of it getting fixed. Look for a shop that offers lifetime guarrantes and stand behind their work. A quality repair can be done takepictures of all damaged areas and compare after the fix. If stuff looks different dont accept the work. Good luck CM and glad everyone is safe .

  18. #18Shenandoah2013-02-10 11:35

    CM, scary stuff. Had a close call last year with my 88 year old dad riding shotgun and some woman ran a red light at 40+mph and didn't even slow down as she flew by my front bumper just inches away. Luckily I saw her out of the corner of my eye just in time to put the appopriate amount of skid marks down to save the day. She would have broadsided the passenger side otherwise. Good to see you had the presence of mind to prevent an even worse situation. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but my brother who has been a bodyman for over 35 years and can straighten a pretzelized frame better than most once told me how he hates replacing frames with OEM factory parts. That puzzled me as I thought taking out the bad and replacing it with the good would be a no brainer. His reasoning was a surprise. The parts that are sold as OEM replacements for frame rails are not first quality parts. They are rejects that failed quality inspection and can't be used for new vehicles. They can however be used as replacement parts for the body shops. The problem is there is no telling what part of the frame rail had a manufacturing defect that caused it to be rejected. So the bodyman has to correct the defect when he installes it. Sometimes it's a hole that is out of tolerance, or a twist that needs to be taken out, or whatever. But either way, it's never as good as a first quality part unless the defect can be corrected to where it doesn't make a hoot of difference. Bottom line is you need to be careful your 'new' frame rails are dialed in and not just replaced. What this means is if you go the replacement route the shop you choose better be willing to go the extra mile even though the job will be a 'flat rate' fix and they only get paid a set amount for the job. Which brings me around to why my brother dislikes having to correct the rejected parts on his own dime... Uber glad you three are OK

  19. #19Dom2013-02-11 09:11

    For what its worth, I got rear ended while driving my tacoma by a Kia Rio. He hit me on the left side of the trailer hitch. Since the trailer hitch doesn't have any flex, it did just like you. It bent the frame downward. For me, it bent the frame behind the rear wheels, so it was easy to pull. It was pulled straight in a few hours. BUT, they replaced the bumper, the hitch and a mount even though they didn't show any stress factors. It was nearly $2000 worth of damage, and I would not have known if I wouldn't have looked at it carefully. When the adjustor goes over your truck, he'll look at replacing all that was impacted, even if it only has a scuff on it. This will bring the repair bill high. Over here, when the insurance company offers you money, they are suppose to find 2-3 similar cars that are for sale and will give you the average price. They didn't go by the book value. My friend call his insurance company to find out where the cars were that the insurance company had found, and sure enough, the cars were being sold for the price offered by the insurance company. Small cars are designed to absord energy on impact to keep the occupants safe. That VW suffered more damage then is showing. Big bumpers and trailer hitches are designed not to bend at all, so something else has to give. Just so happens, that's the frame. Just glad that everyone is OK and you get what you deserve in the end ($$$).

  20. #20CM19952013-02-11 10:46

    Thanks 390eric. If it's going to be fixed I have to find a body shop well versed in light truck frames not just passenger cars. Without a doubt I want a guarantee and warranty or I'll have to go the other route, which I really, really hate worse than this - lawyers. Shenandoha, glad you were able to just have a close call. That's interesting on the OEM replacement parts. Nothing surprises me now a days. Dom, that's what the insurance company did when they totaled my friends 953 that burnt. They searched similar machines for sale in the area and came up with a value. Commercial trucks and heavy equipment are a different ballgame than say a Honda Accord. Milage, use, age, condition, etc can vary widely which also affects the value. I haven't had much luck finding a similar one for sale. Yeah the VW had some pretty bad damage that wasn't visible. Coolant was leaking but the damn thing drove off the highway and onto the tow truck.

  21. #21RocksnRoses2013-02-11 16:18

    I'm glad to hear everyone is OK, CM. I was thinking, if a beetle/bug can do that much damage to an F Truck, imagine the damage you could do if you traded the F Truck in on one of these. http://www.vwutes.com.au/ Take it easy, RnR.

  22. #22CM19952013-02-11 18:29

    Thanks RnR. Yeah those VW trucks are pretty sharp and if built 1/2 as good as that bug it's a mobile battering ram. I have seen a couple in Costa Rica when they first came out but unfortunately VW doesn't offer them in the 'States.

  23. #23CM19952013-02-12 19:17

    :update So I picked the police report up today and surprise, surprise - the driver didn't have insurance and was carrying an expired Kansas DL. We'll just have to see how this goes. Luckily I have full coverage.

  24. #24dirtmonkey2013-02-12 19:53

    :cussingThat's just great ! :Banghead Glad y'all are OK !

  25. #25JBGASH2013-02-12 21:48

    Glad to hear no one was hurt. I feel your pain with the other driver not having any insurance, because the last 3 times that one of my vehicles was hit, as in your case, none of the drivers had any insurance. Not sure how it is in your state, but in Missouri if you have an accident and cause damages to someone and do not have any insurance on the date of the accident with a police report, the other driver can simply go to the drivers license office and fill out a form that the state then sends to the driver that had no insurance; he then either proves he had insurance on that date of the accident, or looses his license for up to 5 years without even going to court...

  26. #26Greg2013-02-12 22:40

    Don't know what your insurance laws are there in Tennessee, but here state law says you have to carry insurance but it is not enforced. If driver is stopped and can't produce insurance card the fine is like $10.00. We are required to carry "uninsured motorist" coverage here so that if one of the state law breaking non insured drivers hits you the unisnured motorist coverage will take care of the damage. Makes a lot of sense dosen't it? Don't have to prove coverage unless unit is clasified as a commerical vehicle. Good luck with this mess

  27. #27Dom2013-02-13 08:31

    Pretty new VW for someone that can't afford insurance and a drivers license. Here if your caught without insurance, it can be a $800 fine.

  28. #28CM19952013-02-13 09:03

    That's what I thought too. The car is in her husbands name and they own a house with a mort., so it seems strange not to have insurance.:beatsme The State just changed the rules in AL at the first of the year. Now there is an uninsured motorist form you fill out and send back in. I do know the other driver was ticketed for no insurance, however she did produce some paperwork for the officer at the scene. I was so mad I couldn't be around her. I'll have to do some research on how the law changed here and see what recourse, if any I have other than my own insurance... I wish it was a law here that the State takes your car if you get caught driving with license or insurance. I for one am sick and tired of doing everything required by law only to have someone disobeying two very important driving laws ##$%^&* my world up.:soapbox

  29. #29Steve Frazier2013-02-13 10:43

    NY requires that all vehicles be insured, you can't register a vehicle without it. If you let your insurance lapse, DMV is notified electronically the instant that happens and you are served a warrant with hefty fines. Our DMV is connected to other State agencies, if you have any outstanding problems with DMV you can't do any other business with the State until it's resolved. (Don't ask how I know...)

  30. #30digger242j2013-02-13 16:49

    I'm a little late to this party, so first, CM, I'm glad nobody was hurt. Maybe she can't afford insurance because she makes a habit of this kind of thing?

  31. #3195zIV2013-02-13 17:47

    Oh well, Kids will be Kids.

  32. #32CM19952013-02-13 18:55

    Thanks Digger. I think it's more of an "absent minded" thing than an ability to afford it - as referenced by her driving skills. She showed the officer an insurance card but obviously it had lapsed. Funny you should say that.:cool2 What's the odds of me being 2 days older than her?:beatsme Talked with our insurance co. adjuster today. They're going out to do an estimate tomorrow or Friday.

  33. #33CRAFT2013-02-13 22:23

    Good-Luck with that tomorrow ! …….We know how much you would like to hang on to your Baby ! :tong

  34. #34CM19952013-02-14 06:30

    Thanks Craft. The adjuster coming out is a commercial adjuster so we'll see how it goes. Yeah I have had that truck longer than any other vehicle I have owned - 7 years. I used to keep pickups 2-3 years and trade back when times were better and trucks were cheaper. That truck is in a few pics here on HEF throughout the years. Just for kicks I have been looking at new 350's. Damn their expensive! A long bed Lariat 350 like mine is $64-65K MSRP and the cheapest advertised price I have found has been $54K for a '12, a little more for a '13. It's just not worth an extra $30K more to drive a new truck.:beatsme I paid $40K for my truck in Jan '06, left the dealership thinking I should have my head examined for spending that much on a truck. I don't have the cash, I wouldn't spend it now even if I did and certainly don't want any payments in this crappy economy, so I'm probably screwed either way.:Banghead

  35. #35CRAFT2013-02-14 12:23

    One thing to give thought to is, Don't go with a new diesel ! …… Since the tier 4 regs came into play the fuel mileage is not there anymore, the fact of buying a diesel just for the power ??? …. Hmmmmm? ….. check out Fords new 6.2L big block gas, from what feedback i'm hearing, 20 grand less better fuel mileage than the diesel and you won't be the last guy getting anywhere with a big load, more like you'll be the first guy there ….. If things go sideways with the adjusters appraisal, well just for kicks go and take one for a test drive. I've been really pleased with my '03 Dodge Dually and the 5.9 Cummins, but its the last diesel p/u that I will own …. if anything happens to mine the 6.2 is the route i'll be going ….. unless Dodge brings back the 8L V-10 …… Just a thought CM. We're still watching and waiting with fingers crossed for you ! ……… Cheers !

  36. #36Shenandoah2013-02-14 12:33

    Funny you should say that. A good friend of mine who has been in the wrecker business since the '70s just bought a new wrecker to replace the one that got stolen a few weeks back. This time he said there is NO WAY he is going to buy a diesel, it's gas from now on for all his new trucks. Not only is the fuel cheaper, but he can no longer justify the huge premium going in on the diesels.

  37. #37CM19952013-02-14 19:36

    Thanks Craft. I don't know about going with a gasser. In the past I have owned them in 1 ton and 3/4 ton trucks and they just didn't have the longevity or torque of the diesels. We do a lot of towing - mini's, skids, hay trailers, etc and the gas engines couldn't hold a candle to the diesels. That being said I don't own a diesel that is newer than an '06, so I don't have any experience with the new engines.:beatsme If they total my truck I'll be looking for another '06,'07 model truck to replace it. The 6.0 PS had it's issues but there are fixes - EGR delete, head studs, upgraded HPOP and a programmer - that can be done to make the engine much more reliable. The unfortunate thing is my wrecked 350 had all those mods done to it.

  38. #38HATCHEQUIP2013-02-14 22:35

    Glad everyone is ok !!! something you might keep in mind if they do total your truck and you get another the same as it. See what they will sell your old truck back to you for if you think you might fix it you will need a good title to put it back on the road but they will ask you twice as much for the truck compared to if you bought it from them for a parts truck and never put it back on the road. Since its your vehicle you dont have to have a dealers licence like in a auto insurance auction if you do it now when they are tring to deal with you.

  39. #39AT&SW2013-02-15 09:04

    Sorry about your truck it pains me. I have recently went through a similar case my wife was driving my truck when she was t boned while stopped at a red light. Other driver had no license or insurance. Our insurance company came within $250 of totaling the truck but I asked them not to because we do not want vehicle payments. The truck ended up getting new front clip, cab, bed, and one frame rail straitened. We were very happy with the repairs although now we own a wrecked truck with less value.

  40. #40joispoi2013-02-15 10:35

    Glad you and the Mrs. are okay. Sorry about the truck. Just to put the new truck prices into perspective: A $40,000 truck in 2006 would cost $54K in today's dollars when you figure in inflation using the big mac index (a big mac cost $3.10 in 2006/ $4.20 in 2012).

  41. #41Oxbow2013-02-15 10:40

    I'm late to the thread, and as everyone has said I'm glad everyone is ok, but I wonder what damage would have occured if you had not had the nice Ranchhand bumper. Where I live many folks put those on to mitigate for damage associated with hitting deer, but I suspect that seeing how they are not flexible something else has to give that normally might not. Perhaps some that are experienced with body work can add comment.

  42. #42HATCHEQUIP2013-02-15 15:48

    I like the big mac index:drinkup makes me hungry:drinkup

  43. #43shopguy2013-02-15 19:33

    CM glad everyone is ok,O yea don't give gramps any of your new invention money (Ranchhand Bug catcher) after all it was his rain storm that caused it all .,

  44. #44Oxbow2013-02-15 19:43

    Only problem with the Big Mac index is that it has'nt applied to my income!

  45. #45CM19952013-02-15 19:45

    Thanks Joispoi. Yeah I know but I just can't wrap my head around $54K for a pickup. The problem I am experiencing is the market is still paying early 2000's numbers for work. The Ranchhand contributed to the frame damage no doubt. Like you said there wasn't much give when the bug hit the side of the bumper, that's what bent the frame frame horns and broke the frame at the motor cradle.

  46. #46CM19952013-02-15 19:47

    Thanks Shopguy. Gramps don't have time for inventions with all the wind blowin' out of both of his orifices, keeps him pretty busy..:lmao

  47. #47Treetop2013-02-15 21:33

    CM what happened with the adjuster? Any news?

  48. #48CRAFT2013-02-15 22:12

    We're sitting on the fence post Waiting and waiting and ….????? ….lol

  49. #49CM19952013-02-16 06:16

    - And now for next weeks episode of "Bug bites Ford".:tong I did not get a call from the guy yesterday, I'll ask my better 1/2 if she heard anything as she handles this end of the business. Worked my rear end off the last two days trying to catch up. We've been working 12's trying to get a pad built for a national autoparts chain hub store. 18K SF, 4K CY of import, project started in the middle of Feb and they have 110 days to build it.:beatsme It's rained so much that 10 days have been lost on the schedule so far. I have 4 tri-axles lined up for this morning, we should get the pad close to grade today. Needless to say it's not the best timing for me to be without my mobile office, fuel truck and custom worn leather bucket seats....

  50. #50Gooseidi2013-02-16 19:00

    CM, I too am glad to hear that everyone survived the ordeal with little or no injury. I basically drive a 1991 version of your truck and pray that the sheer mass of the vehicle keeps me and my occupants safe in the event of an accident. I am going to guess that they will fix your truck. Your '06 still commands a very respectable resale value, probably in the $18,000 range. They can do a massive amount of body work for that much money. My sister has a Jeep Wrangler that had words with an F450 dump. Wasn't her fault, the dump had a migrant worker driving it that shouldn't have had a license. They replaced her frame on the Jeep, I was astonished that that amount of work was viable. Jeeps and diesel trucks really hold their value, good luck in which ever direction it takes you.

  51. #51CM19952013-02-16 19:24

    Thanks Gooseidi. I am thinking the Ins Co will fix it and now, against my better judgement, I think I want to fix it to. How about this for a very strange turn of events. We worked today trying to get a bldg pad built and while at lunch I get a phone call. It's the husband of the lady that hit me and owner of the car. He apologized for what happened and told me he would pay to fix the truck. Now this poor fella doesn't know the extent of damage or price tag but I thought pretty highly of him giving me a call. It took guts and character to do that, something of a rarity in todays society. Of course this will probably go an entirely different direction once repair bills are in or the truck is totaled but that's just something I didn't expect.

  52. #5295zIV2013-02-16 21:03

    Before he has a chance to change his mind get your lawyer, or your Ins. CO's Lawyer to draw up papers saying that and get him to sign them. Then at least when the work is done, you can have your truck and the body shop can go after him completely.

  53. #53Mike Mc2013-02-17 15:55

    CM, have you had any troubles with your 6.0 yet? They have a bad reputation for the egr leaking under the intake manifold. The coolant makes it's way into the cylinders stretching the head studs. We just had to rebuild our '05 F350 due to the egr failing. Very expensive repair being out of warranty.

  54. #54CM19952013-02-17 16:33

    Well the guy is on the hook regardless, since the accident report stated the bug was at fault. I am going to forward his contact info to my ins co. Yeah the head gaskets, oil cooler and egr cooler were all replaced in '11 right before the extended warranty ran out. I have never bought an extended warranty up to that truck but I am very glad I did it. I got more than my money's worth on it. On this truck I have done the EGR delete, new design HPOP and programmer completed within the last year. The truck runs great, no problems. The design of the EGR system on that engine was a dud from the beginning. Once you eliminate the EGR cooler you eliminate the chance of boiling your coolant with a plugged EGR cooler.

  55. #55willie592013-02-17 18:48

    Doesn't matter who makes the engine...EGR on a diesel is epic fail from the get go and a bad bad bad idea. :IMO

  56. #56JDOFMEMI2013-02-17 19:08

    You said it Willie!

  57. #57Oxbow2013-02-17 19:22

    I concur!

  58. #58Greg2013-02-17 21:38

    The head gaskets, head bolts, intercooler, oil pump, egr bypass and tuner have been put on my 05 with a 6.0 liter. It runs great now. Don't take it to a Ford dealer and expect them to work on it though. They will tell you it all has to go back to stock to meet emissions standards.

  59. #59Mike Mc2013-02-18 03:14

    Here in California we have to smog our diesel trucks. So I had to put my '05 back to stock (updated Ford kit) or it won't pass the tail pipe emissions test.

  60. #60CM19952013-02-18 06:27

    The local dealer here will work on it, they could care less what mods a truck has on it if it's out of warranty.

  61. #61CM19952013-02-21 20:15

    :update Unfortunately not the update I wanted to post. Got the truck to the body shop and they tore down the front end. This particular frame has a bolted front section that can be replaced in instances such as this. Problem is Ford has discontinued the parts and there are none available from the parts network. The only option is a total frame replacement which pushed the $ figure into "total loss" territory. The body shop I took it to is an old friend of mine that has fixed many of my vehicles over time. If they could have found the front frame rails then it would have been a repair that was feasible, however replacing the whole frame is a different story. He shot me straight and said it could be done but I wouldn't want the truck. So now I am truck shopping. Who would have ever thought a VW Bug could total a F350?:beatsme

  62. #62Shenandoah2013-02-21 20:29

    CM, can you search the wrecking yards for a F350 that has rear end damage or a totaled motor? There has to be a few of those floating around you could pull the front frame section off of. Added: Just a quick check on the net pulled up this. Perhaps there are more... http://subwaytruckparts.com/cars/2006-ford-f350-super-duty-4x4-crew-pickup

  63. #63Gooseidi2013-02-21 21:23

    Sorry to hear of this hurdle. If you are not ready to give up on your rig, try joining a few pad forums like ford truck enthusiasts, powerstroke nation, oilbirners.net, even pirate 4x4. There are literally hundreds of people that would help you source a frame. There's a wrecked truck waiting for you put there. Good luck, keep us posted.

  64. #64willie592013-02-21 21:37

    Odd indeed. But the thing I'm thinking about is how you're now likely scarred for life. I wager anytime you see a bug driving down the road that you'll lock up the brakes absolute terror of the little round things.

  65. #65Dozerboy2013-02-21 22:21

    X3 I'm sure you can find a front frame. Can't believe ford quit making them what about aftermarket? Your better off with a GM anyways. Duramax for the win.

  66. #66mikebramel2013-02-21 22:47

    How would you not expect the frame to be damaged beyond repair. If you would have had the stock bumper there would have been some absorption

  67. #67Dom2013-02-22 08:44

    That's unfortunate. I'd walk away and get something else. Let the insurance co deal with it. I know some people that go to auctions and would buy back friends wrecked cars, but it ends up being alot of work.

  68. #68CM19952013-02-22 10:45

    I just don't have the time to source a used frame or frame section and really don't want it after the repair. I need to get back in a truck that can carry a fuel tank, tool box and tow a gooseneck. Right now I am in a rental F150 and the work life is turned upside down. Work has picked up some and might have two site projects an hour away and need to take the whole crew in one truck to save fuel. Dozerboy, that's probably the route I am going. Looking at a few duramax's online. I don't want a 6.4 powerstroke, the '06-07 6.0's with less than 100k miles are scarce and I ain't paying $50k for a new one. Looking at 2500/3500 crew cab, SRW, 4x4, duramax/ allison trucks. '07 - '10's. $29k to $35k range tops.

  69. #69HATCHEQUIP2013-02-22 11:44

    Dont like dodges ???

  70. #70CM19952013-02-22 19:31

    No, not a Dodge fan. If you could take a Ford truck, put a Cummins and Allison trans in it, that would be the perfect truck.

  71. #71buckfever2013-02-22 20:20

    Be careful on the duramax motor also. We have a c4500 with 63,000 miles and had to replace all 8 injectors. We also had a bad run with fords, both the 6.0 and the 6.4. We vowed that our next trucks will either be a gas job or we are jumping up to a mid-size truck and getting a cummins or a detroit. I would love to be able to put a 3126 or better yet a 3306 under the hood of one of our newer trucks and tell all those green weinies where they can shove thier eco friendly diesel motors.

  72. #72HATCHEQUIP2013-02-22 20:34

    10/4 on the cummins allison setup we run 5 dodge pickups and thats the weak point, the trans, other than that we just dont have any probems with them

  73. #73Dozerboy2013-02-22 20:47

    Only the older Dmaxs have injector issues pre 04.5s. 06s and the old body style 07s are the best IMO. The newer ones will have have more emissions junk and get worst MPG. Deleting them can be an issue now since the EPA has came down hard on the tuners doing so. Edge just got fined $500K IIRC not long ago, and soon "no one" will be able to delete them. 2011s is when they make several improvements like the frame, brakes, and 400hp. Mileage was up some to thanks to DEF over the 07-10s. Whole older lines of dodge trucks are low quality. My cummins buddies all say the bought a cummins and got a free truck to go with it.

  74. #74shopguy2013-02-22 20:49

    Come on ,CM you know you wont find a better used truck than yours ,take to a good frame shop let them pull it weld it and go boy go.

  75. #75rustyshakelford2013-02-22 22:37

    I had a 3/4 ton duramax 2010 and it was the best truck I've ever had. Needed a dually and didn't want the same truck again so I went with the dodge. Chevrolets integrated brake is great. They really are good trucks and mine did excellent on fuel. My unloaded numbers with the dodge are on par with the loaded mileage on the duramax Brett

  76. #76CM19952013-02-23 08:26

    I thought about that but just don't want a welded frame, too much liability if the truck was ever in a wreck and someone was injured. Just ready to be over it and move on to be honest.

  77. #77CM19952013-02-23 08:30

    That would be awesome!:drinkup Better yet put an old Detroit in there - then you would able to drown out the kids with the loud annoying stereos at the red light - just light the Detroit up, fill the car full of smoke and spray a little oil on them.

  78. #78Coondog2013-02-24 11:29

    Cm, I do that now with my dodge cummins. It's actually quite fun. Have almost had a couple fights over it, go figure. The yuppies don't like the interior of their porches full of black diesel smoke. That is quite an amazing amount of damage to your ford. I have had trouble with the bumper replacement mounts before on those trucks, but I have always thought of fords to have quite stout frames otherwise. Glad everyone was okay. Did her airbag at least give her a good pop? On another note, your picture under your name looks quite familiar. I'm pretty sure I know where this was taken. Can you embellish?

  79. #79mikebramel2013-02-24 11:49

    Dodge 4500, best truck on the market

  80. #80mikebramel2013-02-24 11:56

    OF course they have injector problems. So do the Cummins engines. They are both 30,000 psi rail. Both of these engines can have head gasket problems depending how you treat them. Changing them is the only difference

  81. #81caleb72102013-02-24 15:09

    With any common rail diesel engine you can and will have injector and pump problems with time. At the rail you will usually see upwards of 26k psi. The LB7 Duramax (2001-2004.5) had the most injector problems due to bad fuel quality here and a poor design. Adding a lift pump with extra fuel filters helps out a lot. The only Duramax with major head gasket issues were the LLY (2004.5-2005) which was caused by emissions crap, the egr. This issue can be resolved by deleting the egr and adding head studs. This motor did not have many injector issues and they also made injectors a TON easier to change on them vs. the LB7. IMO the best Duramax is the LBZ (2006-2007.5) which had most of all the problems mentioned resolved from the factory and it is pre dpf as the LMM has the dpf, but is a good motor with the emissions deleted. The 5.9 common rail cummins 2003-2007 had some injector problems, and some years actually share the same CP3 pump as the LBZ Dmax has. Then the 6.4 P-Stroke was a the first common rail Power Stroke. IMO the way to keep a common rail going is to have good fuel filtration and run an additive. Hopes this helps with any ones truck decisions lol

  82. #82CM19952013-02-24 15:45

    Thanks Coondog. The bug's airbag didn't go off, which surprised me. :beatsme That's in Van Horn, TX. I have been through there a couple of times.

  83. #83Deereman2013-02-27 02:48

    Cm,Glad to see you are ok. Looks like an awful littleamount of damage to be so big! Any news on whats going to be done with your truck? Also check on Powerstroke.org, Powerstrokenation, and the Powerstrokearmy for anything you need. I wish I could get that ranchhand off of you.

  84. #84CM19952013-02-27 06:34

    Thanks Deereman. The Ranchhand could be re-used but it would take some time with a welder and torch to straighten it back out. Of course the drivers side end plate (diamond tread) is smashed and the mounting brackets are bent. To be honest i haven't looked at it that closely to see the extent of the damage. I may be able to keep it before the truck goes off to the torches, if I do I'll let you know. The body shop sent their final report/recommendations and pictures to the adjuster yesterday. In the mean time I have found 2 trucks both in GA that were sold by the time I found them. There are a couple in Birmingham with high miles (around 100K) and high priced. 2011 25000HD, 98K miles, SWB, 4x4 for $38,000- too many miles for the price. There's a 2011 2500HD, 37K miles, SWB, LTZ, 4x4 for $36K - not bad except it's Nick Saban red and there is no way in hell that I'll drive a red truck. :nono The search goes on.

  85. #85JBGASH2013-02-27 07:03

    I have always been a Ford man, but decided to try a Chev. Duramax, In my opinion coupled with the Allison tranny, it is great. The fuel MPG is 17-18 mpg instead of 12 from the Ford I had. One drawback on the Chev. is both are 4-door pickups and the Ford cab is bigger, especially the back seat area. Other than that issue the Chev. wins in all other aspects.

  86. #86caleb72102013-02-28 23:18

    CM glad your ok, I didn't realize the damage was that bad until I actually read up on the thread. I don't know if you know this or are aware of it but the 2011 and up Duramax's are the LML and have a DEF tank on the passenger frame rail. Just food for thought if your jobsites are rough terrain. Duramaxforum.com has some interesting info on the newer Duramax's.

  87. #87Dozerboy2013-03-07 23:25

    What are you talking about? Only the older Damxs have injector issues. And only the first run 01s had any head gasket issues. There is no proof as to what the problem is with the injectors. Odds are its only the design, but its still hit and miss. Only the 01/02s where real bad 03/04s where better, and 04.5s was the redesign. Some trucks are problematic some ain't. Extra filtration is always good, but there are still plenty of failures. Lift pumps are no help to injector life, but does help some with pump life. LLYs don't have head gasket issues some have over heating issues towing heavy. The EGR isn't a problem other then the fact its a EGR and head studs are totally unnecessary. These ain't 6.ohno's.

  88. #88CM19952013-03-08 07:13

    We'll in a total turn of event (normal in my life ) I have narrowed it down to buying a new F350. This time though I am going with the ol' XL work truck model. The new XL's have power windows, locks and mirrors, FX4 package, trailer tow and SOTF 4x4. Pretty much everything you need in a truck but with vinyl seats and a rubber floor. My truck is always dirty either from mud or dust from the job. I just can't see buying a nice Lariat and then getting in there with grease, mud, etc all over me and making the truck filthy - that and the $55K price tag. With an XL I can just hose it out. After looking at the used prices for Dmax's and Fords, it just made sense to buy new and get a truck with warranty. Currently looking at 2 trucks in Texas and one in Alabama. Pitting all 3 dealers against one another to get the best price. I don't need the "bling" anymore and not out there to impress anyone, just need a practical truck to work out of. Leather doesn't make you money but I am sure I will miss it.

  89. #89mikebramel2013-03-08 10:11

    I am not sure what your question means? You are tracking all the trucks on the road? One thing for sure you do not work at a GM dealer

  90. #90mikebramel2013-03-08 10:24

    gas or diesel?

  91. #91caleb72102013-03-10 00:40

    Well here's my thought. I don't own an lly but I know a couple people who have lifted the head from overheating, causing it to blow a HG. I have always heard the joke the lb7 injectors go out because the Dmax tech slept with the engineer's wife, causing the pissed off engineer to make a bad design and putting the injectors under the valve covers.... hahaha Anyway I believe filtration/lift pump helps the injector's life cause bad fuel/dirty fuel can set problems off for the injectors. But normally the injector's bodies crack, whcih can cause it to return to much fuel or even leak fuel into the crank case. I think with lb7 injectors its not a matter of if, but when. Im no tech, but I have spent many hours under the hood of my lb7. To the OP, I'm impressed with the 2011-up Super Duty's. H&S performance made 880 RWHP and 1675 ft. ib of torque on the dyno with a stock internals 6.7 PSD. They were going for 1000 RWHP, but the tranny let go first. I think that says something for the motor to hold it! They made a Live video of them trying to blow it up on the dyno, lol

  92. #92CM19952013-03-10 08:41

    Diesel. So far I am. Got it yesterday and drove it home, about 30 miles on the Interstate. 70-80 MPH and the screen said 20 MPG but we'll be checking that manually on the next fill up.:cool2 The truck is a 2013 F350 XL, 4x4, 6.7 diesel, crew cab, long bed, white. It's got the "XL Power Package" which means it has power mirrors, door locks and power/heated trailer mirrors - which is all the creature comforts I need.:scool It also has tow command, upfitter switches, running boards, chrome bumpers, dual alternators, hill descent and FX4 off-road package. It has a factory gooseneck hitch and plug in the bed which is pretty neat. It doesn't have a lever under the fender well to release the ball like a hide-a-way does. There is a T handle in the top of the ball, you pull it out and turn it and then slide the ball out. There are lock in safety chain hooks as well. It looks real neat all clean and shiny, let's see from the field report in 6 months how it holds up.:cool2 One issue I already see is the gooseneck ball will be greasy where you have to lift the T handle and yes I have personal problems with grease - if I get anywhere around it I spread it a minimum of 5 miles from everything I touch. Plenty of power! That truck will haul ass. More power than any other Ford diesel I have driven off the lot. It doesn't have the 6.0 lag my '06 (Rest her soul ) did. My wife was in the rental 150 with the gutless gerbil wheel of an engine and I left her in my diesel particulate dust on I-459. :avid Tomorrow i need to mount my fuel tank, tool box, etc and get it dirty. Today I'll just ride around in a brand new truck since it's been a long time since I had a new truck, after tomorrow it's work time.

  93. #93Oxbow2013-03-10 08:54

    That's nice that they have the hitch as an option from the factory! We really like the upfitter switches as well, as we run our fuel tank pump, beacons, back up and bed lights from them. Enjoy the new ride!

  94. #94CM19952013-03-10 09:39

    Thanks Oxbow! How did you run the wiring for the pump to the outfitter switch? Is there a wiring harness that does through the firewall or do you have to run back to the switches? I want to run my pump through switch #1.

  95. #95Oxbow2013-03-10 09:58

    We ran wiring up through a grommet near the fuel pedal (08) and connected to wires under steering column. Switch 1&2 are 30 amp and 3&4 are 15. It's nice that they are fuse protected but the key must be on. Good luck!

  96. #96CM19952013-03-10 10:23

    Thanks. I think the '11 and up wires are in the same location, under the steering column. There is a hot wire coming off each switch, color coded which is easy enough. What do you do with the neg. wire from the pump? Run it to the neg side of one of the batteries?

  97. #97willie592013-03-10 11:04

    Hey CM, I found you a license plate to go on the front of your new truck

  98. #98Greg2013-03-10 11:37

    That truck sounds great. Now if they would only offer it with a 6 speed stick. I don't give a damn for automatics in a truck here.

  99. #99CM19952013-03-10 11:46

    How nice....thanks.... :tong Thanks Greg. I have always had Lariats with all the bells and whistles. Just couldn't justify $15K more for what little it gave, other than fancy style. I guess it's just a change in priorities as one gets older and wiser. I don't think you can get a stick in one of the Big 3 trucks anymore.:beatsme

  100. #100CM19952013-03-10 15:00

    Couple of pics - The work truck version has come a long way from the days of no A/C.

  101. #101Steve Frazier2013-03-10 15:02

    Here's an explanation of the switches I found useful: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-117R2.pdf

  102. #102HATCHEQUIP2013-03-10 16:16

    HEY ATCO YOU THINK HE MIGHT NEED TO GET A EXTERMINATOR WARANTY ON THIS NICE A TRUCK, MAYBE ORKIN CAN GIVE HIM SOME EXTRA PROTECTION:wink2

  103. #103CM19952013-03-10 19:14

    Thanks Steve! Should be pretty simple. Theres a common ground coming from the switches so if I ground it back to the battery it should work. I know enough about electricity and wiring to be dangerous so I try to stay away from it....:bash

  104. #104CM19952013-03-10 19:15

    OK that's a good one!:lmao

  105. #105HATCHEQUIP2013-03-10 19:19

    Just couldnt resist with all this talk about bug stuff , hope you have good luck with this one

  106. #106CM19952013-03-10 19:25

    The ol' girl being hauled away. I'll miss that truck.:crying As fate would have it, I am working on a national auto parts chain HUB store, right next door to my friends body shop that I had my truck taken too to determine it's fate. So for the last several weeks I have been able to look at my old truck sitting in the yard. You can see the rebar sticking up in the picks for the masonry wall for the back of the building. Last Friday I knew the tow truck was coming to get it as the ins. co. settled. When the dirty rollback with a missing front body panel pulled in I knew he wasn't there to pick up the BMW they had in the back of the lot.

  107. #107Oxbow2013-03-10 20:35

    Sorry I didn't respond earlier CM, I was working today. I used an insulated two wire cord (10 GA) and grounded to a nice clean metal spot under the dash. For the other functions I installed a junction box under the front of the box and ran a ground to a terminal in the box. I have stop/turn, back up lights, and LED beacons on the headache rack, as well as lights installed on the inside of the back of the bed in the posts next to the tailgate to shine inside the bed for hooking up to the gooseneck and seeing inside the bed. The same oval LED lights (roughly 2" by 6") that I used on the headache rack fit nicely in the bed posts. I will see if I can figure out how to post pictures, not that there is anything special, and get them on the thread. Hope it helps!

  108. #108Oxbow2013-03-10 21:29

    Well, we will see if this works. Oops, it appears I reduced them too much. Maybe you get the idea!

  109. #109Scrub Puller2013-03-10 23:21

    Yair . . . CM I995 What is that cabover tilt-deck? . . . I didn't know you had proper trucks like that in the 'States.LOL Commiserations for your trials and tribulations, its a b*****d to forced to make decisions you don't really want to make . . . I'll bet you enjoy the new truck though.

  110. #110CM19952013-03-11 06:26

    Thanks Oxbow, that gives me some ideas.:thumbsup I really like those backup lights in the bed. This time around I am considering a headache rack with backup lights, sometimes I have long, bulky stuff to haul and a rack would make it easier. It would also be nice to have a few spots mounted to a headache rack that shine to the side. Looking at wig-wags as well since our work is more and more involving working and making improvements in the ROW. I would like to have that run through the upfitter switches as well. You can't have too many lights when you need them. Thanks Scrub. Yeah it sucks, if I had my druthers I would be in the old truck and this would have never happened but oh well so is life..:beatsme That truck is a GMC, which is a re-badged Izuzu. They sold those trucks for a while here in the US with Izuzu, GMC and Chevy badges. These trucks came with Cats and D'max's I think. I think those trucks had Cat's in the earlier years and D'max variants later on.

  111. #111hvy 1ton2013-03-11 11:10

    I'm disappointed ford doesn't run the wires out of the cab from the factory. The 5550 i hooked up the lights on, there was a harness and weatherproof connector at the back of the cab. Even had a ground thrown in. Took more time getting wire in a loom than anything else.

  112. #112Speedfill2013-03-12 09:28

    Hey!I'm little late on the news....Sorry for what happened to you CM1995, i hope your new truck will help you forget this bad day! About the GMC's cab over tilt deck, i had one for a while many years ago and it was total crap!I've had chance to try a couple with Cat's and D'max(Mine was with a Cat) and i was really disapointed....I'd prefered by far the little Hino truck with a 6 cylinders Diesel i've had as swap for the GMC.

  113. #113Dozerboy2013-03-14 21:10

    Good luck with your new truck CM I have high hopes for the new 6.7s. Thats just the way I would want a work truck other then heated seats for those cold mornings. Our new dodges come pretty loaded with rubber floors, but cloth seats. I wish we would go back to fords, but our fleet guy has a buddy at dodge so its not going to happen. They just have a better truck IMO, but the motors on the other hand don't have the best record. Just in case you can be a neat freak at times DO NOT put armor-all on the floor like some of our other supers. Yes it looks good, but someone will slip and bust there head on the pillar like me. You should use wax paper on your ball. I ain't a fan of grease and it seems if I get a little on me soon its ALL OVER too. I just carry a roll with me and roll some out according to how long I'll be hooked up at least 1'. Fold it up into a square that will just cover the ball them drop the trailer onto it. Nice and clean I was into dmaxs pretty hardcore for several years. The problem with people that work at dealers is they only see dmaxs when they are broken. Not the tens of thousands that are problem free. You make it sound like the common rail is a bad design when its not. I have heard of to many failures even multiple failures from LB7s that had secondarily filtration from day one. I know of LB7s way up there in miles that have never had an injector go bad too. The best explanation I have heard has to do with the fact the injectors are electronically fired and "dirty" signals. Its always a matter of when a part will fail, but LB7s get a pretty bad rap that isn't always due. I love that joke too. Don't put to much hype into H&Ss claims. Dynos #s can be influenced pretty easy and that was their in house dyno. IIRC their tracks times don't really back up there dyno #s at all.

  114. #114CM19952013-03-15 06:06

    Thanks DB. Hmm, never heard of that. I have always used a dab of grease not much but even that little bit ends up getting on the end of the shovel handle, probe rod, etc - then to my hand, then to my pants ultimately a black stripe on the truck seat. This usually happens pretty much simultaneously, or it seems too. So the wax paper doesn't disintegrate? I am so warm natured that I never used the heated seats in my old F350. Wife would bitch on cold mornings when she got in there because I robbed the fuse for the seats a long time ago and never replaced it. The rental F150 I drove for a while (Enterprise is making a FORTUNE btw :cool2) had cloth seats and in the short time I drove it those seats really showed dirt, they were gray/charcoal. When I test drove the 350, the vinyl were actually more comfortable than the cloth 150 seats and will hold up better. They feel to me to give a stiffer support for the backside. BTW - I never even opened a door on a Lariat at the stealership, ok I did look through a few windows... Just too much temptation. The smell of new leather is a very, very expensive addiction..:tong

  115. #115Shenandoah2013-03-15 07:52

    They make greaseless hitch balls, here's one in a 2" dia, and other stores have the 2-5/16" ball if eTrailer doesn't. http://www.etrailer.com/Balls/Andersen/AM3662.html Here's a 2-5/16" ball... http://www.truckboxshop.com/browse.cfm/4,1078.html

  116. #116Scrub Puller2013-03-15 08:13

    Yair . . . Interesting how things are different in other parts. I have been towing caravans and trailers on inch and seven eighth and two inch balls for fifty five years and have NEVER allowed any grease to get on the ball. It seen as an absolute no no . . . same as we never lubricate the self aligning balls on Ag. tractor hitches. Having said that I suppose a goose-neck hitch is up out of the water, dust and mud a bit . . . the bigger ball should have more wearing area though and I reckon if I had to pull one I would run the bugger dry. I too act like a magnet to grease. Cheers.

  117. #117CM19952013-03-15 19:44

    I didn't know they made such a thing. Problem is this Ford factory hitch has a special ball that lifts and turns at the top and then slides down into the hole. The lever on top releases the ball bearings that hold the ball in, no lever under the fender well. I'll take some pics because it's the first one I have seen of this type. To be honest I didn't grease my old one that much but it does help with wear. When I did grease it, it was the gift that kept on giving..

  118. #11895zIV2013-03-15 21:32

    CM, Since you are talking work lights on the new truck, here's a link to a diagram that my father and I used when we were setting up our plow trucks. This switching arrangement allows you to have them as either work lights, or as good high power backup lights. This calls for a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch with center off, this will allow you to not use them if you want, if you don't care if they come on when you're in reverse you can use a switch that doesn't have center off. No center off will mean that either they will be on as a work light, or they will be backup lights, no "off" option. http://snowplowing-contractors.com/alan_reverse_lights.html Also, I'm pulling a fifth wheel trailer with my work truck, and I use fluid film for my hitch, it's a good lubricant, dielectric grease, anti-corrosion agent, and even if you get it on you it wipes off a whole lot nicer then greases. Most John Deere industrial dealers carry it.

  119. #119mitch5042013-03-15 23:34

    Hey thanks 95 I am going to put rear work lights on my service truck tomorrow. Alan had a great idea.

  120. #12095zIV2013-03-15 23:37

    No problem Mitch, We developed that system when we put work lights on our first plow truck back in '95.

  121. #121still learn'n2013-03-16 17:19

    seed dealership around here just wadded up a walmart bag and stuffed it in hitch he said it workd good! Jerry

  122. #122Dozerboy2013-03-16 19:03

    Yes so you need a few more layers on heavier and longer hauls. Lubing your balls might be overkill, but thats the way I grew up. On the farm you make things last a lifetime or 2. Grease might actually be bad since it attracts dust etc making it abrasive.

  123. #123Gooseidi2013-03-16 19:18

    Good luck with the new Ford. I feel really bad for you as I am a fan of older trucks. I hope my 1991 IDI last me a another 20 years or more, I drove an '07 Chevy cclb and an '11 f250 ext cab short bed this week, both 4x4 gassers. The only thing I took away from it was how much I really do like the ol beast I drive every day.

  124. #124CM19952013-03-16 19:50

    Thanks Gooseidi. We'll see how the new engine holds up. I am young enough that I will have to deal with all the new Tier/emissons bs in equipment and trucks before retirement but old enough to not like it.

  125. #125Tiny2013-03-17 15:52

    If your going to squash a bug . You could try one of these

  126. #126Oxbow2013-03-17 15:57

    I'll bet that rides like a Cadillac Tiny!

  127. #127Tiny2013-03-17 16:57

    The old line " Rides like a lumber wagon " comes to mind . But just think , A Vdub would just seem like a normal pothole .

  128. #128grandpa2013-03-17 17:15

    Im gunna buy that gal another VW with a built in radar to hunt your *** back down and whack you again, you lopp eared toe sucker.

  129. #129CM19952013-03-17 18:32

    Do it quick before I get a Ranchhand put on it, wouldn't want to go through all that trouble again!:tong This one will be easy to replace, lots are full of 'em.:yup

  130. #130DGODGR2013-03-21 10:48

    Good for you CM (on buying a new truck). I bought a new '12 F350 back in October. I am coming out of a '00 F350 XLT. It has gone 267,000 so far, and has been a great truck. On the '12 I went the other way as you. I decided that I would get a Larriot. This is the first truck I have had that has this much "foo-foo". I have only put 4K on it to date (I am still using the 2000 for most work days) but I am regretting the decision on the leather. I ordered it so It's nobody's fault but my own. It's just too nice so I'm afraid to get it dirty. I often wonder how long it will be until I am not so worried about it. I've got WeatherTechs on the floor but I have not found any good seat covers yet. Maybe after I get some covers I will not be so worried about it. My old XLT had the gray cloth seats and I was able to get the greaase out of them. Just a little CRC break cleaner on a terry cloth towel, a little elbow grease, and the grease was gone. No discoloration to the cloth either. I am picking up my fuel tank tomorrow. I decided to get it Rhino lined since I think I will have this truck for 13 years+ like the last one. For both our sakes, I hope the new Fords will hold up just as well as my last one, or better. I still get all "guiddy" when I realize how much more power this thing has, and still gets 19 MPG!

  131. #131CM19952013-03-21 19:20

    Thanks DGODGR! I have bought many an XL trucks in my time but never for myself to drive. I always bought Lariats, had one of the first 1999 models in our area ( ordered it the day you could ) but that was a V10. That truck would fly but didn't find a gas station it didn't like. At that time the Z71 extended cab was the contractors choice around here, I had a few of them in the '90's. I remember telling the saleswoman to order more and get ready to sell them when I climbed in the cab. I am in a rebuilding stage in my professional life. 2008 hit me like a freight train. This time around I am more cautious with everything. When I realized I had to find a new truck, the first avenue I went was used because I didn't want a payment. The used 3/4-1 ton pickup market is one of two things - cheap and wore out or used with life left and 70-80% of what you can buy new. After weighing all the options, decided to buy new as it made the most economical sense. I didn't want a big payment on the truck so that narrowed the field. When I went to look at the truck I bought - it had everything I needed, of course I wanted all the bells and whistles. The needs of a growing a company again are always a strain on working capital. The next purchase will be a track hoe and an extra money spent towards a vehicle was less allocated to the track hoe fund. We gotta be crazy to be in this business. Cheers to that!:beerchug I have been a Ford buyer for 14 years, since my first '99, through the ups and downs of owning 5 - 6.0's. I hope Ford got it right this time for our sakes. One thing that gives me comfort is Ford makes a variety of diesels for other markets that we don't get here. They used in-house technology and brought new players on board to design this engine. There is nothing tougher than a Ford for a work truck, they have just had many crappy years with the 6.0 and 6.4 engine.:cool2 The power the 6.7's have is impressive, my truck will haul ass!

  132. #132lumberjack2013-03-21 22:32

    What size excavator/track hoe are you thinking? I know you said you liked the 308 on the job you're on. I bought a 2010 Kubota KX121 (4t) last month, finding it exceedingly handy. On topic, I hope the 6.7's pan out, I figure that will be my engine. My current 6.0s have 103k and 211k miles on them (250/550). I am glad to hear the XLs have power everything now, that's a big improvement.

  133. #133CM19952013-03-22 06:14

    My old truck (6.0) had new head gaskets and studs, upgraded HPOP and an EGR delete. If this wouldn't have happened I would have been pushing the 100K mile mark by now.. Until the warranty runs out, the new truck will stay stock. As far as excavators go looking at 320 sized machines.

  134. #134lumberjack2013-03-22 10:18

    Both of mine have studs, Bullet Proof EGR, upgraded STC (hpop)/stand pipes/dummy plugs. The 550 had a 200k mile warranty on it.

  135. #135Georgia Iron2014-05-30 20:47

    Cm looks like you picked out a nice truck. I lost my motor in my 7.3 f550 and had to go through some of the same hard choices you had. I have a 06 6.0 which has 100 k miles and 20 k in dealer warranty work. The truck has never been right since its first repair trip to the dealer. I think the dealers are detuning the 6.0 s to try to stop repairs. I bought the 6.0 new and it now has negative arches in the rear springs so it is no longer hauling well. I decided to rebuild my 7.3 and up to this point i have spent 12 k on just the motor with me doing the wrenching. I have lost two full weeks of work and the motor is still on the engine stand. I am planning to start a thread on it when i get time. Lets us know how the truck does. Fuel mileage hauling and how it compares to the other trucks you have had.

  136. #136CM19952014-05-30 21:59

    Thanks Georgia Iron. So far the truck is the strongest truck I have had. In the past I have had several 7.3's, many 6.0's and no 6.4's. This is my first 6.7. I have had it over a year (22K miles) and the only thing I have taken it to the dealer for is a driver's side seat belt that wouldn't retract all the way. No problems otherwise. However, I am a "Ford guy" but also a pragmatist. I bought the 5 year, 100K mile B to B warranty on this truck for insurance. Fuel milage with normal load - 90 gal L tank (various degrees of diesel from loaded to a few gallons), big W-guard toolbox loaded and misc crap in the back (chains, binders, shovels, pipe laying tools) - around town 14-15 and hwy under 75 mph, 17 mpg. Towing bumper pull 14K or gooseneck 14K with T250 and a bucket or two - 11 mpg, haven't seen a difference in town driving or hwy. This is the most powerful truck I have owned and that includes a chipped and aftermarket exhaust 2000 7.3 - that truck was a beast and I kick myself every time I think about when traded it on a new 2003 6.0. Pulls a trailer like a beast. When I was driving it home, brand spanking new, it would bark the tires if I got on the accelerator.:cool2 The only thing I don't like about it is having to add DEF fluid but one has to do that with any newer diesel truck. If I add Lucas diesel fuel treatment in each fill up, I can get an extra +/- 1 MPG.

  137. #137mitch5042014-05-30 22:49

    How does that pan out economically? Is it a net savings?

  138. #138CM19952014-05-30 23:16

    To be honest Mitch, I haven't put the pencil to it. I can buy a gallon at the local Cat dealer for $27, it treats 400 gallons. 36 gallons per tank (LWB) - long day (and week, month for that matter), really don't care to do the math.:tong The real reason why I use it is the USLD doesn't have the lubricity of the old higher content diesel fuel and I think a diesel engine needs it. I could be following an old wives tale but it doesn't cost that much when you consider the cost of 10 fill ups.