Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Stuck hydraulic cylinder pin tips

Steve111 ยท 2019-07-07 20:02

I'm trying to remove the pin that holds my case 580k stabilizer pads onto the end of the hydraulic cylinder so I can repack it. Got the snap ring off but the pin is so seized in there and I've soaked with pb blaster and used a 10lb sledge on it With not even it budging. I'm assuming my next step is going to be to heat around both sides with the oxy acetylene torch. Any tips you guys have on getting these out? I'm sure there's plenty of tricks I can learn.

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2019-07-07 20:07

    Hydraulic jack, porta power, hollow cylinder ram with threaded rod. Or take the cylinder and stabilizer off and put it in a press if it will come off. Another option is to cut the pin on each side of the cylinder, or blow it out with a torch or oxygen lance, or drill through it and weld the hole up to heat, upset and shrink the pin.

  2. #2Theweldor2019-07-07 20:27

    Odds are good if you have already swatted it with a 10lb sledge the ends are swelled. Cut it each side the cylinder and cut out what is left and replace it.

  3. #3Billrog2019-07-07 20:31

    Can you just leave it on take the pin out of the other end flip it over and repair it . I always stick it back on to hold the rod to get the nut of the piston.

  4. #4Steve1112019-07-07 20:33

    Bill I went outside before and it looks like that's what I'm going to do. Pin by the machine is nice and free. I'll just take the tube off with the ram still on and replace seals like that.