Hi all, I'm new on this site and have spent many days reading all the valuable Info on here. I'm still having a hard time deciding between a cat 308e2 and Kubota kx080. I'm looking at getting new equipment as the finance rates are good. Will be using them for roadbuilding on small acreages as well as installing septic tanks and mounds. The cat is what I'd prefer based on better service as I'm 2.5 hours away from both dealers but cat has a fleet of service trucks. The problem is, Im having a tough time justifying spending 30000 more on it. I'll keep the machine for a long time, like I do with all my stuff. I've demoed both at the dealerships for about half an hour each and both seem smooth and rock about the same over the side. I'd like input for both as far as breakdown probabilities and operating while actually digging. I don't think I'll need the extra flow that the cat has as it'll mostly be digging. I'm thinking, if the Kubota is reliable and just as good at digging, then that's what I'll buy. Also, gonna order the tiltrotator with my machine with a demolition grapple and forks. Any input would be appreciated as ill need the machine once the snows gone. Thanks
I think if I could afford a new machine I would choose the kubota. I just like the ergonomics and the compactness of them. I like cat too and like you said cat has a lot of service trucks. But I guess it depends on dealer response. I know when I bought my tractor, I shopped around, but In the end I found the big dealers only cared for the sale and not the service. Just some food for thought.
I looked at a 308E a couple days ago and wasn't that impressed with its chart. I want to say it was around 6500lbs at 10' at ground level. My KX057 is rated for 5klbs at the same setting. The 308's chart appeared to be behind the KX080. If it were my choice, I would go with the KX080, even though I abhor the local Kubota dealer. I use a dealer 1k miles away for most of my needs.
What about Link Belt 80x3's?
I haven't considered link belt. If they have a dealer in Edmonton, I'll check them out tomorrow. I have considered the tak tb290 but the sales guy is slow at getting me quotes. I haven't got one in 3 attempts in the last 3 weeks. Makes me think their service is slow too. Thanks for the input saskman and lumberjack. I figured i would be happy with the Kubota, it seems that everyone on here that has one, likes it.
Wouldn't bypass a Kobelco and Yanmar either. Have a good friend that has a 75Kobelco that's been awesome for him. I think the yanmars are some of the most under rated machines out there.....
I would echo Canuck Digger on the Kobelco. I have a 2005 New Holland EH80 CS, which is a Kobelco, on 24" steel tracks with a Klac quick coupler & hydraulic thumb. I love it. I think the Kobelco's are underrated compared to the others. I would think that a new Kobelco 80 would be even better. But I don't know your situation with regards Kobelco or New Holland dealers/service.
So it turns out that cat308e2 is $141500 Kubota kx080 and takeuchi tb290 are both at 122500 Yanmar vio80 with hydraulic quick connect is 101000 All with a 24" dig, 36" dig and 48" tilt ditch Cat and yanmar have 3 year warranty and Kubota has 2 year Kubota has angle blade, dual aux, and dual proportionate controls on joysticks. I'm leaning towards Kubota but will be test driving the yanmar tomorrow afternoon.
I just picked up the new cat 259d hi flow. Time to go check out the yanmar
Ya I have a kobelco right now. I have a 02 sk35sr 2e. Great machine, but im partial to kubotas products. Have seen lots around and they seem to be good. I think my next machine if I get busy enough is gonna be the 080. I looked at yanmars recently, imo, I think there good, but the dealer told me flat out that parts are so expensive and they dont come quick. But they do have a warehouse in viginia (iirc). I would buy another kobelco, I just think the kubotas have a lot of nice options that are intregated on the machine. I guess best thing is to go demo what your options are. Seat time is the best.
Ive checked out the Yanmar vio80 and it looks like a good machine. comes with a hydraulic quick coupler right from the factory and is about 20000 cheaper than the Kubota. I'd probably get it except that I've now got a contract for digging 24 basements as well so I'm now looking at a Cat 320dlrr or the 321dlcr or the 316EL. They sure are a lot more money here than on the East coast. I'm thinking of using the same machine for installing the septic systems and digging basements and it sure is tough to find out which machine is better for me especially when moving the machine is gonna cost me 185/hour with a 3 hour minimum charge. I also bought myself a Kubota U35 for digging septic test holes and now with the basement excavations I'm thinking I'll need a bigger mini to run the services for houses..... What to do?
I just RPO'd a 321DLCR and purchase it a couple of months ago. I have owned a 321C in the past so I was familiar with the machine. It's a 2011 that had 1800 or so hours on it when I started the rental part of the purchase option. It now has 2200 hours on it and I am happy with it. It cost less than the new 308E you posted..
Hi CM1995, it seems like you're happy with that machine. I found this one and it'll cost 14000 to ship to me. What do you think? It has 1300 hours and its listed with 300. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9877275
Tim2 that looks like a good deal. It has a quick coupler and aux. lines which mine doesn't have but I wish it did. I would jump on it if the hours are correct and it fits your business model. I had my Cat salesman quote a new 321DLCR it was a '12 or '13 and the price was $220,000 +/-.
What about volvo
I haven't considered Volvo. I'll check them out in Edmonton tomorrow. Meanwhile this 321 is reserved for me til monday
Thanks for the advice CM1995
What did you think of volvo
I looked for them online and couldn't find a dealer for them in Edmonton. I did test the out the takeuchi tb153 and tb138fr. They're quick and smooth machines, just seem bare bones on comfort, but I'm gonna try and get the new 138fr on Monday. Also tested out the TL8 and am happy that I bought the cat 259.
I am on my third TB153FR. They are low on bling. The seat is nice though, visibility is pretty good. I don't find them uncomfortable to run, but there are excavators out there that do a much better job with the cab. The arm functions to me are a little slow but not painfully so. I keep buying them for their capabilities. I demoed a CAT 305.5 and a Deere 60 before buying my last one last year just to compare. They have great lifting capacity due to the hinge point being under the machine instead out front of the cab like a typical swing boom. They load trucks much easier than a typical swing boom configuration. The only downside is the number of grease zerks. It is a pretty complicated system compared to a swing boom, but they are in my opinion the most versatile mini ex on the market.
I like the TD153FR and have considered one heavily as the next mini to replace my 334 Bobcat. I like the geometry of the boom and I think the increased maintenance would be an even trade off with what the machine will do. That and the Wife and I got to meet Mr Takeuchi at Conex.
Inow have a JD 200clc which I love.I also have a cat 302c.5 which has served me well also.I did just trade it for a new Kubota KX71 3 w cab.I really like Kubota,s as have bought several with great service.I know these machines are out of the subject area but the point is they are very good machines built by great.co.
I met him a couple Conexpo's ago (I did see him walking around this Conexpo, but did not talk to him). I felt like I was being introduced to a rock star at the time.
What did you wind up with.
I'm setting up the document to get the 321. I haven't had time to look at the tb138fr today as I was in a fall protection course all day and will be doing the first aid courses for the next 2 days. 8:30am til 4:30pm. Got an appointment to meet the tak dealer tomorrow after school. Hopefully the price is right. If not, I have an appointment to see the yanmar vio57 on Wednesday. Classes all week and wirth safety getting stricter here, it looks like we will be doing a bunch more paperwork. Next piece of equipment might be a mobile file cabinet. Lol
It was like meeting a rock star, this fellow basically pioneered the CTL and mini-ex. Tim2, I think you will be happy with the 321. I wish mine had a QC and aux. hyd.
is the 321 new or used.
It's a 2012 with 1300 hours
Can you post pictures
Of the 321 and the 6 ton you buy
Have you thought about or looked at an IHI 80 series... They seem to be built pretty well and the price is really good!
I went to Etown, Ky and met with the guys at IHI to run a 80 some years ago. I liked the machine, powerful in the heavy red clay they have there. The company is solid as is Compact Excavator Sales. I had a 35J and they did an excellent job supporting me. The cab does not have a lot of bling but it gets it done. I would own one. I ended up in a Takeuchi but it was more due to simplicity of doing the deal than anything else.
A few years back we were in the market for an 8 ton machine. We demo'd the Cat 308 (Swing boom) and the Volvo ECR88, both with long stick. I was really excited to run the cat but it ultimately lost out to the Volvo based on real world performance, not what the brochure says. I just picked up a Volvo ECR58 and I demo'd the Cat 305.5 against it. Same result, for my application (residential, tight areas, needing long reach) the Volvo was more versatile. Make sure you take the machines you're interested in out to your jobsite and run it in situations that you encounter on a daily basis. Cat has a reputation and there is a premium put on the name. I went into both situations wanting the Cat to win out but it just didn't perform compared to the Volvo. I came out of both purchases feeling like Cat didn't even try and were just relying on the name. The Cat is more aesthetically pleasing but doesn't do the job as well.
I totally agree with what kwnate said about the cat and volvo.
Plus my volvo dealer has been great. but they are 45 minutes away::-(
I am looking at a 2013 bobcat E80. Price is right. Any thoughts on those units?
Stay away! Bobcat has never had a good 8 tonner. CD
The E80 is a re-badged Doosan, not that it makes that much difference since all Bobcats are now essentially Doosan since they own Bobcat.
I'll be running a new E80 tomorrow for the 1st time. I'll report my thoughts.
We run CAT , TAKEUCHI , HITACHI and KUBOTA 8 tons excavators , the next we will buy will be definitely a KUBOTA
Turns out they sent us a Deere 85D instead so I have no opinion on the Bobcat (Doosan).
Well, I took delivery of my 2013 E80 today. 533 hrs but still qualified for the new machine programs, plus has over 2 years of full machine coverage on the extended warranty. 28" smoothedge bucket. Swing is fast. Has a long long stick, which is fine I suppose. Have to get used to it over the volvo 270. She is no powerhouse, that is for sure. I doubt there is anything wrong with it. It just doesn't power through the trench the way I am used to. Maybe thats how the compacts are. Not the quietest either. And climbing into the cab with the front window open means driving your shoulder into the gas strut at the top of the door (ouch!) Otherwise, tracks well, handles as you would expect. I will say that I can sweep the dirt off a 4" big o tile with no problems at all, so controls work well enough. Its a Doosan by the way.