Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rubber Track vs. Steel/pads on a Mini X

Canuck Digger ยท 2014-03-15 12:00

Looking from feedback from some of you that have been there done that.... I've only run rubber on all my mini/midi excavators. For a 3.5t machine, used mainly for general landscape construction, would there be a benefit to go away from rubber.? Every time I'm doing a concrete pad demo, and working with 3" clear and up blasted rock from the quarry, or heavily rooted/stump areas I cringe. If I do upgrade my machine, wondering if it'd be better to go with steel/pads, however, wondering why all the rental yards and other o/o's pretty much only run rubber on the smaller machines..... Thank you.

Replies4
  1. #1Tags2014-03-15 18:39

    It sounds like I do similar work as you. I have a Kubota KX161-3 with the wide steel pads and about 4000 hrs on it and there has only been a handful of times that I'd wished I had the rubber tracks. I haven't replaced any track components ever and it still has lots of life left and I never worry about running over blast rock or busted up concrete. The wide tracks also provide a ton of flotation when it's muddy and supports the machine better when working over the sides of the machine. The pads are so wide and the machine is relatively light, I have walked down numerous paved driveways without leaving a mark, I have also had to use plywood though to get it into only the tightest and twistiest paved spots. Since I transport it behind a relatively "small" truck and trailer combo I can almost always back in to where I can unload it close to where I'll be working. If you do lots of work that requires you to constantly be on asphalt I would stick with rubber, rental places do it because you CAN use the rubber anywhere and not necessarily the steel... Hope this helps.

  2. #2DoyleX2014-03-16 08:29

    I am with Tags also. I have a 6 ton machine on wide steel. The best of both would be rubber pads on steel but they are a bit slippery. The only rubber mini I would own would be a micro under 36" wide machine. If you need mats I just rip a sheet of plywood in half. Or chunks of old rubber track work too.

  3. #3Canuck Digger2014-03-16 12:28

    Hi, Thanks for the replies. I would only consider steel with pads, not steel alone.

  4. #4pondo2014-04-12 22:26

    Hey Canuck Any more thoughts or find any more info. I want to be doing more concrete demo work and my 3.5 mini tracks r looking pretty worn after only 900 hrs!