Hello everyone, thanks for having me here. This is my first post (Obviously). I'm currently an owner of an automotive fabrication shop. (Small - only three people) The auto performance industry has gone to hell in a handbasket and I'm looking for a change. (Everyone thinks you are Chip Foose and can build their dream car in 3 days - they don't see the few hundred grand and 30 guys backing those projects up...anyway) I've always been in the construction industy in some form. (Rough framer, finish carpenter, landscaper running the Georgia backhoe [shovel] small bobcat work, mowers etc etc) and I did have a class B CDL running a 20 something foot box truck back about 20 years ago and can drive a large truck no problem. (I suppose I can get my Class A CDL if needed) Since I don't have any hard experience on the machines but do have a family to support (Working up from a laborer will not work for me) I was considering going to one of the "schools" to get some seat time and classroom on blueprint reading etc. I have some contacts in the construction industry (Inlaws are public works director and another owns a pool company) so my question is this. How do companies view the "school" graduates? Are they seriously considered? Will I be wasting money? I don't know all their is to know so some training would be nice. I'm a gear head, can drive and fix just about anything and can even field weld a repair on site if needed. I also understand project management in spades due to my current occupation and position. Can a person get out of a school and get hired? Is it realistic or will I be looking for a job for 6 months? This a huge decision for me and I don't want to screw it up and make my family suffer because I can't get hired for more than 15 dollars an hour. (I'm in CT and I'm sure operators are making $17-$22 at least) I would like to get into larger construction projects like say new buildings like BJ's or if a new convention center is going up etc etc stuff like that. I would consider road work as well. Hell, I'll do just about anything as long as it involves a diesel humming under me and I'm pushing dirt around. However, I am quick to get bored with monotonous work like a quarry pit or the like. I like new projects every few months or weeks or whatever. Any input you guys can give another guy doing a midlife career change would be appreciated. I've always wanted to do this kind of work and I'm finally willing to take the steps to get there but also have to be realistic due to my responsibilities as a provider. Best Regards, Jay
Jay, first off, welcom to the Forum!!! :drinkup As far as the mid-life crisis goes, doin' that right now myself. You could always do what I did. I just do excavating as a "side" business. Skidsteer, 1-ton dump and small trailer. If I need anything more I rent it. Trying to grow the business, but it's mostly word-of-mouth and it takes time. Maybe someday it will be something that supports my family, but right now, I just try to cover my expenses (insurance, equipment payment, etc.) and have a little left over. I suspect there are a few other guys around here who are in the same situation as me... Joe
Jay, Personally I wouldn't do it unless your can tighten your belts enough that your wife can mostly support your family. I have known guys that went straight out of school and got a job as an operator some only to be demoted, because IMO they barely qualify as equipment drivers and are no where near being an operator after a few weeks in school.
I know around here union apprentices start out at $19 an hour, maybe that is something to look into in your area?
In line with what Tyler said above, jobs like you mentioned are most likely union jobs. The problem with that, after you manage to get into the union in the first place, is that you're lowest on the seniority list (or if it's still the same as it used to be, lowest on the lowest of three different lists). What that means is that you're least likely to have steady work as an operator, and if you have a family to support that just doesn't make it a good idea. There's another thread running right now about schools, and getting a job. You probably have an advantage over a 20 year old in the same position, given that you have a resume full of varied skills, and proven responsibility. (Unless you're so middle aged that potential employers will look for somebody younger. We reach that point someday too. ) The other points raised there still apply though--there's no substitute for the direct experience in this industry that's gotten with your feet on the ground. Your versatility is a definite advantage though. You might be able to get your foot in the door based on that, and find your way into the operator's seat from there.
Welcome to HEF Jay! You seem to be a jack of all trades. It would probally be tough to go to school as you have a family to support. Why not take advantage of your connections to find employment? I am sure with your skills you would be an asset to any company.
A friend of mine had 15 years experience working for one of the small, local paving contractors. Worked for them ever since he got out of high school. Decided he wanted benefits, pension, etc., so he joined the Operating Engineers. Even with 15 years experience, they still put him as a "class D" operator. Lowest class, just above apprentice. He sat for a year (paying his monthly dues), and only got one or two calls in the dead of winter, when nobody else wanted to work. It wasn't until a friend of his took his small excavating business into the big-time and started doing big, union jobs, that he got hired on with him. Now he's happier than a pig in stink... Joe
Schools I Am Retiring From The Fire Dept In Three Years And Want To Hear From Anyone Who Has Been To The School In Orange Park, Is It Worth The Money