Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Cat engines

Truck Shop ยท 2023-02-10 20:06

Supposedly Cat is making new replacement engines, because of shortage of rebuildable engines. 3406E, C15, and the Acert, will also take Cummins and Detroit cores with a cost for repower. But has to be what came in truck as year for emissions. Cannot put a C15 where a Acert was.

Replies31
  1. #192U 34062023-02-10 20:12

    I just watched a video about that yesterday. Guess that's a great way to eliminate the competition - buy all their old cores and smelt them into new Cat parts lol.

  2. #2chidog2023-02-10 20:21

    From what country?

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-02-10 20:38

    King County it is it's own country.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2023-02-10 20:40
  5. #5Truck Shop2023-02-10 21:14

    These are not remans-new block, new head, new crank.

  6. #6Nige2023-02-10 21:18

    It's called Reman UTN (Upgrade to New). RUTN has been available at a premium price above normal Reman on components such as blocks, cranks, heads, camshafts, etc (and probably a shed-load of others) for a while now. It also partially addresses the issue of Damaged Cores that have to be scrapped. In days gone by every component in the Reman programme always had a certain percentage of new parts in it to replace returned Cores that were scrapped. So buy a Reman cylinder head (for example) and despite the fact the Part Number is 0R-xxxx what was in the box could easily be brand-new. Now with RUTN the box with the new component in it can command a premium above the normal Reman price. https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/CM20211007-ff591-8e1cf

  7. #7pushbroom2023-02-10 21:20

    Installed a few of the reman new block 6NZs in trucks . The block is actually a SDP block. Ordered a 2WS long block and it had an SDP block as well. SDP block is ORB, 2WS is still pipe thread. Had to get a bunch of new fittings to make it all work.

  8. #8Truck Shop2023-02-10 21:33

    I realize this is just a video-so don't everyone pull out your banjo and pick away at it. Now it is classified as a reman probably to satisfy government regs sold as a reman-with new block, head, crank. Which is not a reman. But When WAS The Last Time Cat Took A Cummins or Detroit as a Core? NEVER. And For Some Reason I Don't Think It's Been For A While Now.

  9. #9Truck Shop2023-02-10 21:45
  10. #10Steve Frazier2023-02-10 21:52

    I'm guessing they haven't caught the attention of the EPA yet, I'll bet they find a way to put a stop to it. Unfortunate.

  11. #11Birken Vogt2023-02-11 00:09

    We have been doing this with small diesels for years. Some places want the core back, others want a picture of the core destroyed. I found out the hard way they want the core back with all the accessories the new engine had on it, had to swap the new bell housing, flywheel, manifolds etc. onto the old block to send back and be destroyed, that's the way they wanted it, had to send a guy sheepishly with a truckload of parts after we returned the core.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-02-11 00:34

    Even with the program they had to get people into newer vehicles the dealers had to send the old vehicles to the crusher. It was sad, there were some very desirable old trucks and cars and even parts that people would have wanted. My friend works at a Ford dealer and said a farmer traded a cherry low mileage truck in from about 1972. It was basically rust free and ran great. He thought the $2400 guaranteed trade in on a new vehicle was a good deal. He could have sold it to someone private for twice that. Instead it had to be destroyed.

  13. #1392U 34062023-02-11 07:47

    Could easily have gotten 3-4x that selling privately. I know I'd pay that if it was rust free.

  14. #14chidog2023-02-14 17:41

    Yes, and actually he got nothing for it. Car dealer prices are setup so they lose nothing on a sale like that. I was told one time that as soon as the sales person hears trade in the selling price then jumps up to cover it. And yeah this was years ago before a chip shortage.

  15. #1592U 34062023-02-14 18:19

    I believe it. Caught them off-guard one time. Guy started rattling off financing rates and payments. When I asked the out the door cash price you could see the gears start spinning lol.

  16. #16Welder Dave2023-02-14 21:30

    The program gave the money towards the new vehicle so the dealership wouldn't lose any money. The dealership had to make sure the vehicles were destroyed so the owner or dealer couldn't double dip. Some buyer advisors suggest making a deal and not mentioning a trade until the very end. Then the sales people and the dealership are in a bind.

  17. #17Birken Vogt2023-02-17 19:01

    The way I have seen it, if they know you are cash the price jumps for that also. Rather you get them all wound up with the financing package, then point to the bottom line for the car and say, OK I will just pay cash on that amount and forget the financing.

  18. #18Truck Shop2023-02-17 19:14

    Or-let them run the figures-Then it's a cash sale plus this is what I want for trade in. Fallowed by {Either you want to sell a car today or you don't as you head out the door} that's how I handle it.

  19. #19suladas2023-02-18 17:47

    Anytime I buy if I have a trade I say i'm undecided if I will trade it in give me the price on the new one and the trade value and I will decide after, also when they try the payment BS I say I was an OTD price the payment means nothing. I had one shady dealership offer me a payment, term, and interest rate I ran it to figure out the price and the numbers seemed really fair right away, then when I did some questioning, they weren't including the roughly $20k I owed on my trade and would tack that onto the payment. So shady most of them would steal from their own mother to make a buck.

  20. #20Paystar2023-02-22 09:25

    I sure miss having a Cat engine (or E9 Mack V8) These new engines made my decision to leave the trucking industry after 37 years.

  21. #21Tones2023-02-22 14:51

    You could have stayed in the industry with one of these gingers. https://www.scania.com/au/en/home/products/trucks/v8.html Apparently Scania had a lot to do with the development of Mack engines

  22. #22chidog2023-02-22 16:55

    I think DPF fires would be a good reason to not want anything to do with any modern diesel anything now. Seems like every day or so a truck is going up in flames.

  23. #23Mike L2023-02-22 17:48

    Yes but think about how much better the fires are for the environment!

  24. #24Tones2023-02-22 17:53

    Darn spell checkers should read giggers

  25. #25Truck Shop2023-02-22 18:00

    As usual Scania like everyone else using the sales pitch of saving money, old hat. One million Kilometers equals roughly 622,000 miles. So their amt gearbox will run 625,000 miles without a oil change--pew. If you can't afford to service the gearbox at 250,000 miles-you can't afford the truck. Online sales brochures full of word salad. Just this morning I had a call into Penske-the owners shop. Asked why they didn't do a full service on a trailer they worked on-just changed the fuel filter. Quote {Manufacture suggests oil change at 3,000 hrs} Really just where did you Penske folk read that? Direct from Carrier-1500 hrs max, 1000 in dirty conditions. Refer full services are done at a thousand hours. Period. And by the way no oil sampling, but you can sample the doughnuts at the Dognut Hut near your shop.

  26. #26Birken Vogt2023-02-22 18:16

    Aren't they getting paid to do the service or do they think it is flat rate? Take the easy money.

  27. #27Truck Shop2023-02-22 18:51

    Penske sells the idea they concocted for their own equipment. Like many corporations they think they know what you need-not what you want. They will do what you want but it takes three or four times. Their idea is to fit your equipment into their computer system to ease their operation. But just for the time it takes them to perform a full service Vetech could overhaul a 8V92 and he would beat them by 2 hours. It's called padding the bill. When the Penske service manager told me with a straight face {Even your car has a indicator light that tells you when the oil needs changed} you know your talking to a {dirty fart smeller -I mean smart feller}.

  28. #2892U 34062023-02-22 19:30

    Most likely financial combustion lol.

  29. #29Paystar2023-02-23 09:50

    Other way around. The Scania V8 started as a copy of the Mack V8. Mack had also already started development of an electronically governed E9 to meet the emissions of that time, but then Volvo bought Mack and killed the project. And NO! The industry has many other deep issues than just the new emission motors, LOL

  30. #30chidog2023-02-23 15:54

    Just curious, do any class 8 truck engine manufactures now use cracked caps?

  31. #31Paystar2023-02-23 17:06

    The thought crossed my mind MANY times, LOL