Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New D6T!

Kman9090 ยท 2010-05-16 21:00

My new D6T just wish it was a wide pad

Replies34
  1. #1AmerIndependent2010-05-18 11:17

    Congrats! Not too many companies buying new equipment right now. You staying busy over there?

  2. #2Opie2010-05-18 14:44

    Kman.... are you on CompD by any chance??????? I go by Bswope on the diesel boards!! I operate the SAME dozer as that one but mine is the "R" series, it had the wide tracks on it when it came in but the company I work for had then cut down to 24" pads.... doing so made the track stick out farther than the normal tracks! Ill see if I can get some good pic to show what what I mean. Mine also has the TopCon GPS system........ Hey what kinda CB ya got in there?? I have a Midland 1000Z in mine.. Ever wanna chat my cell # is Two Four Zero -313-six seven six seven P.S ID KILL TO HAVE A SET OF RIPPERS LIKE THAT ON MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #3t_dirt2010-05-18 21:25

    Great looking Topcon GPS!!!

  4. #4Kman90902010-05-19 00:22

    yeah im on comp d, TJ lambrecht has got alot of work, proably another 5 years worth of work down here, and we are still looking for operators!!! Yeah rippers come in handy some times, but id rather do without the rippers and rops and add a few inches to the pads, have these narrow pads gives a hard time finishing and working when itsa lil wet. You like topcon??? Im used to trimble and like it so its benn different getting used to the topcon system

  5. #5Cowboy Billy2010-05-19 09:45

    Nice machine!! I ran a D6WT two years ago putting a cap on a landfill. It could really push. The only thing I did not like about it was where the dust collector muffler and blade cylinder all lined up and really blocked my vision. I ran a D6N last year with that brush package and all I can say is watch you head getting in and out of the cab Billy

  6. #6Opie2010-05-19 19:24

    Ive never had a chance to try Trimble, got to play with a Carlson system on our one D8T and didnt really care for it..... couple things I did like about it though! Ive had about 5yrs with the TopCon system so im used to it and i really like it.... Our surveyor wanted 3 of us to go out to Cally over the winter for training on all the new stuff, had me pretty excited to go but the company wouldnt go for it!! :beatsme Guess it pretty expensive!

  7. #7Kman90902010-05-19 19:43

    Well 90% of the operators i know that have ran the topcon system, then ran the trimble prefered the trimble. Yeah that brush guard crap is stupid, id like to meet the guy that decided to put a brush guard on a dozer that has gps and a 6 way blade

  8. #8watglen2010-05-20 07:07

    I have a question maybe someone can answer. I talked to a guy yesterday who had demoed 3 cat dozers, all 6's. I think it was a 6t, a 6k and a 6n. He said they were between 125 and 200 horse. I don't understand how 3 machine that are the same series, be so far apart on power. Why would cat set it up that way?

  9. #9Panhandler Bob2010-05-20 07:31

    Kman9090, Say there lookin for hands, what for dozer,grader,track hoe, allaround? Union or non? What kinda money& hours? Be :drinkup Thanks, Bob aka ZZ

  10. #10Kman90902010-05-20 13:20

    Yeah a 6T is an all around tractor good for dirt jobs. Comes in many different configurations. Wide pad, narrow pad, 6 way blade staright blade, rops, or rippers 235hp. 6N is pretty much a finish tractor. alot better visability out of, all have wide pads and are rated at 160hp I think. Not a real pushing machine but can get the job done. A little less ground pressure then the wide pad 6T I think its 3 pounds per square inch. A 6K from what I have seen is pretty much useless. Its got a little over 100hp. Great visability though guess it would be good for close quarters and fine finishing but on a big dirt job useless. As for Operators the pay is 20 dollars but that is if you are good and can work GPS. It sucks it's non union since its a right to work state the pay sucks. Theres only 3 of us that are versatile on any machine. I run the 6T my brother runs the 14M blade and another guy on the other 6T all with Topcon.

  11. #11grunk362010-05-20 15:25

    those three dozers are 3 different series the d6t is 200+ hp and 23-25 ton most common with straight blade or su blade the d6n is 150 hp and 17-20 ton and with vpat blade the d6k is a finish dozer with 125 hp and 14 ton it was made to replace the old d5n hope this answers your question

  12. #12Kman90902010-05-20 17:36

    I know they are 3 different series but marking the D6k as a D6 is kinda dumb. All 3 of them are finish dozers.

  13. #13Opie2010-05-20 20:04

    If i lived closer.... Love the company im with just not much work...

  14. #14Kman90902010-05-20 20:25

    yeah thats the dilemma we were in. love the company I work for back home. The owner is an awesome guy a likes me and my brother. I think his foreman are idiots and he knows that as do they. But my Dad is a superintendent down here and he kinda got in a tough spot for good operators so we came down.

  15. #15Kellogg Report2010-05-21 12:43

    Kman9090: What is it that makes the operators prefer Trimble over Topcon? Is it the performance of the system or a preference of Trimble's operator interface?

  16. #16Kman90902010-05-21 22:26

    The screen visibility and less wires. This topcon unit has all kinds of wires. The downtime on topcon is up there too. I was on the other 6T today and it has mc-2 less wires but no use since it is broken. Been like that for about a month now. The Trimble is just more user friendly I guess. But then again it might just be personal preference. The automatic control in our blades are pretty useless unless we run the millimeter system on them.

  17. #17Kman90902010-05-21 22:28

    Few more pictures of our other 6T LGP I was running today in the mud.

  18. #18grunk362010-05-22 02:24

    i use trimble on both a D6T lgp and a D5G lgp and it works fantastis on both machines especially on the little d5 it is great the automatic works witout any problems at all and it is very precise allways within +/- 1,5-2 cm and no matter how fast you want to go with the dozer ir will keep up ass long as you set up the hydraulic for it i use 2 dozers but only one gps system i can move the entire system from the d5 to the d6 in 15 minutes and it is completely integrated in the cab only 15 cm of single cable up to the screen thats all...if it was topcon there would be cables and wires all over the cab and i think trimble is much more rugged and more user friendly by the way i have used it for 5 years now

  19. #19Kellogg Report2010-05-22 13:39

    As more manufacturers prepare their new models for grade control, you will see a much cleaner install regardless of who's system you are running. grunk36: Locking at your location, I'd like to ask you if you have ever worked with 3D systems from Mikrofyn? -With either SBG or Leica control boxes.

  20. #20Kman90902010-05-22 18:53

    Yeah the trimble is nice since you can interchange from machine to machine. As for the wires the new MC-2 unit has alot less wires and alot cleaner installs. The timble takes 5 mins and your up and running. The Topcon units you have a good 15mins at least wrestling wires an cables around. Some days it has took me 30mins to get the blade ready to finish. The absolute worst system is that agtech crap. Where you have a computer screen in the cab. It freezes all the time and sometimes the gps can't keep up. Run around the job for 30 mins and when you come to a stop the gps is showing you what you did 30seconds ago.

  21. #21Tigerotor77W2010-05-23 13:20

    I wanted to clarify a few of these points. Cat classifies their tractors in "families" now -- there's the K-family (D3k, D4K, etc) and the T-family. (The D6N and D7E are still lone children at the moment. I don't know what Cat plans to do with those two.) In NRC (non-regulated countries), there is also the R-family (D7R, D8R, D9R), but here in the US and in Europe, Cat's basically separated "push" machines from "finish" machines. When it came time to replace the D5N, the original choice was to go with another letter, and the machine became the D5P. A German forum and a French forum each posted pics of this tractor back in 2006. With the idea to try to sort machines into families, however, it made more sense to make the D5P into a K-series tractor (a finish tractor). As a result, the D5P, which under the old naming convention would be a D5-sized tractor, became the D6K... and as such should be lumped along with the other K-family tractors and not the other D6 tractors. This is perhaps the biggest misconception of the current dozer names: machines with the same model do not necessarily reflect the same size class as the old machines of the same number. That is, there is no D6 "family"; rather, the D6 machines span the K-family and the T-family. The D6N is an in-between model that can be used for finish grading if need be (witness the new "5"-speed transmission) or as a light pusher. I think the choice to use the D6 models as the in-between model (rather than, say, have a D7K, D7N, and a D7T) reflects the belief that the old D5N was commonly thought of as the largest finish tractor size and that the old D6R was commonly thought of as the smallest pusher.

  22. #22grunk362010-05-23 14:04

    yes i have worked with mikrofyn but when it comes to dozers you better stay far away from it :Banghead on excavators it works fine i know alot of people that switch from mikrofyn to trimble/topcon on their dozers because it dos`nt work

  23. #23nkh1112010-05-23 15:27

    Where are you working at kman? 5 years of work sounds pretty good

  24. #24Kman90902010-05-23 19:27

    The 5 speed transmission you are talking about I guess is the hi/low switch you are talking about? All T models have that as well. All it really does is idle the motor down.

  25. #25raolela2010-05-26 06:50

    This CAT D6T dozer is the fanstantic one i see till now, the cabin is very cool, the line is telephone? what is it? till now, I only see cat d6r dozer

  26. #26Kman90902010-05-26 20:08

    I am working in Louisana and came through today there is about 10-15 years of work in this area. They are letting about 25 miles of highway and all combined is a total of 250million dollars worth of work with 155 million of it still up for grabs. Raoela what are you talking about thats a D6T.

  27. #27Aussie Leroy2010-08-08 05:18

    Guys; Will a D6T push a TS14, OK !!!!! I noticed the weight of a D6T is approx 21 ton thanks Leroy

  28. #28stumpjumper832010-08-08 07:06

    I've been pushed in a ts-14 by a d6r and it did ok, usually by d7h,k,r & d8r/t. You couldn't be as aggressive when being pushed by the 6 but dirt got into the bowl. I even was pushed by a 973c a couple of times.

  29. #29Aussie Leroy2010-08-09 07:07

    G'Day stumpjumper83; Thanks for the info mate we always pushed TS14's with 7Gs and when i read D6T weighed 21 ton @ 200+ HP i had to ask ,Thanks Leroy

  30. #30Beachbum02862010-08-09 18:29

    Definitely keep an eye on the trans temp. It does get hot pushing TS14's.

  31. #31raolela2010-08-10 10:48

    Good machine, the cabine is really different I see in china, if any difference CAT machine in china and in other countries?

  32. #32mestizo2010-08-12 17:29

    Hey KMan, do you know if the guy that does your GPS is named Brent? I met a guy once who worked for TJ doing that type of stuff

  33. #33Kman90902010-08-16 22:47

    No are guy here is mike and i just got a brand new dozer monday! D6t XW with the new top con 3D mc2

  34. #34Kman90902010-08-18 22:43

    Yeah I talked to my brother and he knows who Brent is. He's one of the head GPS guys.