Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new dozer tracks

Mike L ยท 2014-09-26 12:36

We need to replace chains and pads on our komatsu d65. Anybody have any after market recomendations?

Replies11
  1. #1cyclone772014-09-26 18:11

    Might want to check with your local cat dealer, pretty sure they manufacture for all types of machines. In my opinion they are the only way to go as far as quality and hours that you will get out of them. I bought a machine (d6rxl) that Had an aftermarket undercarriage put on prior to us purchasing the machine, only got 1300hrs out of the undercarriage before it went into catastrophic failure. I would be very Leary of anything aftermarket

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-09-26 18:32

    There are some quality aftermarket brands, you just need to be careful of some of the junk coming out of China and Korea. I use a lot of Berco and haven't had any issues. Stay away from V-Track unless it's a farm machine you rarely use.

  3. #3cyclone772014-09-26 19:12

    Deeretracks. How many hours are you getting out of the berco's? My machine came with a IRT undercarriage supposedly "brand new" from a used dealer and we only got about 1300hrs before idler bearings went out and slightly before that pins started to seize up. First indication of crappy undercarriage was that Master links were welded together because metal was so soft that bolts kept pulling out.

  4. #4trackdoc2014-09-26 19:19

    I would expect 4500 ish hours out of Berco

  5. #5cyclone772014-09-26 19:29

    We are getting anywhere from 5k to 7500hrs out of a Cat Hd undercarriage in a somewhat coninuously changing environment, rock, sand, clay, and a lot of mud/water truck pulls

  6. #6Deeretracks2014-09-26 20:17

    4500hrs is about it for us using Berco or Deere OEM. All our machines are JD hydrostats so they eat u/c faster than the older machines.

  7. #7bob4552014-09-29 20:51

    I would get the komatsu seal and lubed tracks pricey but worth it!

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2014-09-29 22:27

    How many hours did the OEM tracks go? If the life was good with them, think carefully before changing what works for what might.

  9. #9lbrecht2014-10-01 19:12

    let your Cat dealer product support rep quote it, let them know what you expect to do with it and environment you plan to use it in. big expense but you will get back what you spend. had a d6n lgp go through a set of v track rails in less than a 1000 hours. Berco not bad but wont last like cat.

  10. #10Mike L2014-10-01 20:04

    jdofmemi, we got 7100 hrs out of the oem tracks. we ended up buying itr chains from tracks and teeth. under $9000 for tracks and pads with a 2 year warranty. hopefully they hold up alright. they showed up yesterday and I tried to put them on today but we recieved 39 link chains and we need 45 link.

  11. #11Dickjr.2014-10-01 22:19

    I bought a dozer that needed rails and sprockets , the seller opted to put a set on for me, they used ITR. So far so good with 400 hrs on them since May. It is on a smaller tractor , D39EX. I did question this , and called other suppliers about ITR. There is 3 different grades , and I have the better of the three.