Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new engine no power in hitachi 300

GCC ยท 2011-09-25 17:30

Hello I have a hitachi ex300lc-3 I just had the motor rebuilt and now it runs but has no power as soon as u start to move it at all it bogs right down any ideas?

Replies23
  1. #1John C.2011-09-25 20:51

    Make sure your wiring is hooked up correctly. Get the wrong harness connector in the wrong connector and that's one of the things you get.

  2. #2GCC2011-09-25 21:09

    Only wire reconnected are oil pressure, alternator, water temp sensor,there's a sensor at the back of the engine on the transmission that is not hooked up but it hasn't been hooked up since I bought the machine

  3. #3GCC2011-09-25 22:02

    Its the engine speed sensor that has never been hooked up since I bought it but it never affected it before why would it now? Would it have to do with having the batterys disconnected for a long duration of time well I was waiting for the motor to be rebuilt? I'm going to order a sensor in the morning and hope it makes the difference, I was maybe thinking it was injection timing but when it bogs down it doesn't smoke or anything? Might look and see how the injection timing is set right or not?

  4. #4biggrader2011-09-25 22:31

    Sounds to me like a lack of fuel issue. You may be on to something with the injection pump timing. I havent seen it run but the "doesn't smoke or anything" comment may lead me to the pump. Also check for fuel suction leaks

  5. #5GCC2011-09-25 22:57

    You can run it at full throttle but it doesn't start to bog till you start to work it then the power just drops and I could stall the machine right out if I wanted

  6. #6wsw2011-09-26 12:48

    Was it timed correctly? sounds like you have a fuel problem but that could either be with the injection system or supply to the injection pump. was the piump rebuilt? also there is a timing advance unit on the front of that pump, was it cecked and does it have oil in it

  7. #7cjplanthire2011-09-26 15:51

    Timeing could be out, so could injector pump, whats air intake like,, new filters??? And intake pipes sealed cirrectly, it could be starving itself of fuel or taking in too much air!!

  8. #8Abscraperguy2011-09-26 22:29

    Has this machine been warmed right up so rings are seated properly?

  9. #9GCC2011-09-26 23:03

    Well I've played with it all day and nothing I've bleed air I've checked injection timing everything is in perfect working order but machine still maintains the problem so i called Nortraxs to come out and look into it so wednesday morning to look at it. Crossing my fingers they will figurer it out fast they are not cheap first time I've had to call out a service man oh well. First for everything I guess right

  10. #10Ozboc2011-09-27 05:26

    Im sure you have done this already - but have you bled the fuel system ?? I have previously had diesel motors that will run and idol ok - but the second you want to power up - it dies - not sure on your system but unless you have all air out - the pump can cavitate on the air in the system and only be fixed with a manual bleeder - or a pressurized system -on some fuel filters assy ,have little manual pumps on them to assist in pressurizing fuel system which forces all air out... ( compressing it and forcing it though to injectors ) let us know what the service guy finds ....

  11. #11wsw2011-09-28 05:47

    In the return system there is a check valve and it is usually on the fuel return side of the injection pump did you apressure test of the fuel sysemand if so what kind of pressure did you get, you can do that right off the filter head

  12. #12cutting edge2011-09-28 08:45

    Also check to see if any of the inline screens (inside banjo fittings at filter bases and injection pump) arent loaded with crap and starving you for fuel.

  13. #13KenAl2011-09-28 09:25

    Some good points to check were brought up. Another that i see sometimes is the Stopping Motor cable not adjusted right. When running it should be loose and the lever sprung into the fuel on position on the injection pump. Any little bit off the fuel on position and it can produce the symptoms you have. Another common problem is the stock water separator allowing air to be sucked in. We usually tossed these and put a Racor filter on plumbed before the hand pump. The screen in the banjo fitting at the injection pump, the relief valve at the fuel return of the injection pump, all things an experienced Hitachi/Isuzu mechanic will know and possibly have parts for in his truck.

  14. #14fastline2011-09-28 19:09

    Sounds like a governor system issue that was not connected or calibrated after being built. You did not say anything about idle or start issues so I will forgo the pump timing. Also, since brand new, it could be that there was a moron in the rebuild center that day and did not set valve lash correctly. Tight valves don't make power. However, when applying even a small load, you should hear the engine "work for it" and you should see corresponding smoke from the exhaust or some indication it is trying to power up. If nothing, it sounds governor system related whether that is an engine speed sensor, mechanical, etc.

  15. #15GCC2011-09-30 18:08

    Turns out the kill switch seized up half open so it could just get enough fuel to run.

  16. #16fastline2011-09-30 23:50

    huh? Are you talking about the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump? Seems very unlikely but stranger things have happened.

  17. #17Dinale Precast2011-10-01 04:56

    I was going to suggest something similar. My Volvo N10 has a cable twist lock to isolate fuel to the pump. One time I didnt push the cable all the way in before locking it off (cable for fuel pump and throttle as well as air operated gates and what not are located behind me to the left, as such, out of sight) and while it would idle it just had no power when putting it under load.

  18. #18KenAl2011-10-01 23:23

    Kill switch, fuel shutoff solenoid, in Hitachi language is called the Stopping Motor.

  19. #19Ozboc2011-10-02 16:25

    Would have been nice to post a follow up from the thread starter - been almost 2 weeks - is it fixed ?????

  20. #20GCC2011-10-02 16:37

    Yes it is fixed it was the emerenacy kill switch stuck

  21. #21GCC2011-10-02 16:53

    Ok so on the injection pump there is cable that go's to the emerenacy kill switch well the cable seized up for what ever reson so we took it off and it runs fine now

  22. #22KenAl2011-10-02 20:50

    So the stop motor cable is now disconnected. While the stepping motor (throttle) will go to such low fuel that it on its own will stop the engine like normal. You now have no emergency stop protection. If you loose engine oil pressure and are not in the cab to hear the alarm the emergency relay will activate the stop motor to pull the fuel shut off and stop the engine, but if the cable is disconnected it will not stop. While I have disconnected many as you now have I ALWAYS made the customer aware that we were bypassing the emergency stop system.FYI

  23. #23GCC2011-10-02 21:03

    Yes I am aware of this but it was only a temp fix I am ording new cable first of the week it was something I over looked and didn't really need to pay someone to tell me but when you get frustrated that's what you get