Hello Guys, I'm new to the Forums. I recently picked up a 1985 Case 580e 2wd with 830 original hours from the Original Owner. (even has the Title from Case Credit Corp.). It is in Great shape. I've been using it to clear some land I purchased. Everyday I'm learning something new with it. Some problems I'm having are... It has a Differential Lock but the button which is located under the brake pedals seems to be jammed. The Tractor gets stuck easily if I have a load in the front Bucket because only one wheel is spinning. Has anyone experienced this Problem? I took a crowbar to try and pry it up but that did nothing. Also does anyone know of a Case dealer in the Ct area to pick up some parts for Routine maintenance, etc? I've been trying to cross reference the filter #'s to find at the Auto parts store but no luck there. Lastly what are you guys reccommending for oil? I used Rotella-T in my Old F-350 PSD and I liked it. Not sure if there is a better choice out there. If anyone wants to throw in some pointers with this Machine or where I can get more info that would be great to. Sorry for the long post... Thanks for your help :usa
Buy wix or fleetguard filters. I would check the linkage from that pedal to the transmission or whereever it ties into. That might be frozen. Either spray it with pb blaster and work it to loosen it up or you may need a new one. Is there a nationsrent around your area? They have the case dealership up my way. There is one in shrewsbury mass which is near route 122 in worcestor. I dont know where abouts in connecitcut you are. Those 580es are unbeatable, nice machine. I used castrol oil in my equipment because I have a bulk tank in my garage and on the lube truck. Anymore questions you have let us know. My first backhoe was a dynahoe, then i got into cases which took a beating because i always pushed them to the limit and never had any problems.
Even when my old 580C was brand new, that diff lock stuck. I just learned to live without it...
Eastern Equipment on the Berlin TPKE in Berlin used to be Case dealers before the New Holland gang took them over.They still handle the Kobelco line but I am sure that they have a lot of Case parts still in stock. Come across RT 9 and go south on 15 (Berlin TPKE) and they will be on your right a couple miles down.Ron G
You are very lucky to find an E with such low hrs.They are probably the best backhoe ever built.I had a 480E which was extremely reliable.A local contractor near me has over 30,000 hrs on his 580E and only recently put a new engine in it.The cummins 3.9 litre seem to go forever. As far as oil goes i would just use a good quality diesel oil such as 15w40 and service regularly.Good luck with your hoe.
Wow... thanks Guys for all your Help! Looks like I'll be heading to the Berlin Tpke (only 10 min away). There is a Nationsrent there also. I just powerwashed the machine, the engine was very clean before, now it looks like new! I'll get some pics and post them up. Again thanks for all the replies :drinkup
+1 i bought my 580C when it was 4 years old, after using it for 1 freaking year the differential lock froze up. Its froze up to this day :/ unless i crawl under there with Pb blaster and a hammer :/
If you need to get books on it service or parts try ebay .
Welcome to HEF minidig! :drinkup
Thanks for the welcome Countryboy!!! Thought it was about time i started contributing to this great forum for us machinery nuts!!!
The Rotella oils are about as good as you can get, but the Castrol/Dryden oils are very good too. Wix/NAPA, Fleetguard, Baldwin, Fram, Donaldson, all are pretty decent and make everything for your series machine. NAPA is probably easiest to purchase, for you. Try the following dealers for parts and service. Case likely has a service bulletin out on the Diff lock and you ought to ask the service department for a copy before you do anymore thumping on the linkage or other components. May save you some trouble and bucks in the short term. Good luck and welcome to the forum. 1. NATIONSRENT DEALER GROUP, LLC. 2258 BERLIN TURNPIKE NEWINGTON, CT 06111 Phone: 860-665-1489 Fax: 860-878-6803 2. F & W EQUIPMENT CORP. 164 BOSTON POST RD ORANGE, CT 06477 Phone: 203-795-0591 Fax: 203-795-0596 3. PINE BUSH EQUIPMENT CO., INCORPORATED 24 SYBIL COURT HOLMES, NY 12531 Phone: 845-878-4004 Fax:845-878-9626 http://www.casece.com/dws/dealers/pinebusheq 4. HOFFMAN INTERNATIONAL, INC. 22 PECONIC AVENUE MEDFORD, NY 11763 Phone: 631-207-2900 Fax:631-207-2918 5. NATIONSRENT DEALER GROUP, LLC. 800-A HARTFORD TURNPIKE SHREWSBURY, MA 01545 Phone: 508-845-4343 Fax: 508-845-6418
Thanks Again Everyone for the great info! I found a Case Dealer in Berlin, Ct. I stopped by there Today to get prices etc. They have alot of parts in-stock which is great. About the Diff Lock... I got under the Machine today to see if anything looked out of place. I noticed by the tranny there was a connector hanging. I looked for the other end, found it and connected it. It was coming out of the "Clutch Cut-Out" solenoid. I still wonder why it was disconnected? I hopped back the tractor and tried the Diff lock while driving foward in some mud...to my surprise both wheels where now spinning! The small switch below the brake pedals is still stuck to the floor though. Reading the manual it says the red button on the loader bucket handle is also a "clutch cut-out" so maybe I can use that button instead? Well, I'm still Happy about the Diff Lock... Alot easier in the mud! Thanks Guys!
Here are some pics, click the link... http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/RED93SVT/000_0236.jpg http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/RED93SVT/000_0234.jpg http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/RED93SVT/000_0243.jpg http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/RED93SVT/000_0246.jpg http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/RED93SVT/000_0252.jpg http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/RED93SVT/000_0220.jpg
That is a fine 580.I don't think I have ever seen one with such low hours in all my years of playing in the dirt.I will have to come and take a look one of these days.Ron G
That looks like a great used machine kinda reminds me of my old 580C 2wd std hoe .I used to work wounders with it even with only being 2wd. You will get alot of use from it.
Very nice!:thumbsup I've logged a lot of hous on a Super E. It had an extendahoe though. Really liked the machine.
Great pics of a classic model!!! Wish i could find one with such low hrs.With regular maintainance that machine will last you almost forever.
Thanks Again Guys for the Help and Compliments! It is in great shape especially for having ALL the Original parts (paint, tires, drivetrain) It runs like a BEAR! It will become a great Companion of mine when I need to dig the foundation and drainage for my new home. I looked foward to seeing what it is capable of! :usa
Differential lock Hi from Eastern Canada ..Just wantd to express my experiance with my 580.....I had to replace the striped gear for the differential lock and what i was told that if the wheels are spinning the gear will be damaged when if the differential lock is applied...so i just disconnected the linkage in case another operator stips the new gear,,and I depended on the front bucket to get me out of trouble . .....RUXEL
Thanks for the info...I will keep it in Mind :usa
Welcome to HEF RUXEL! :drinkup
Great looking machine, be sure to share more pictures on your future projects. Blake WA
Great find. Going to look at a 580 Super E 4x4 tommorrow with 2700hrs.
Case dealer in CT I have found F&W Equipment in Orange,CT to be a great help. Nationsrent just recently became the Case dealer in Newington and they do not have very much stuff in stock. They get everything out of their MA main dealership. I was able to get most of the filters cross referenced at Carquest in Meriden for my 580 B
Eastern Equipment which is now NationsRent on the Berlin turnpike was the Case dealer for about 40 years until Case merged with New Holland,I don't know what happened to their inventory of Case products but they used to stock a lot of parts.I think that Eastern Equipment had roots in Orange through DeFalice construction as part owner or something so the Orange store may be part of their organization.Ron G
Welcome to HEF Casephil! :drinkup
580se The small button under the brake pedals is for the clutch cut out, the original switch is very unreliable and most likely unhooked because it stuck down sometime or another, so if the machine quits pulling get under there and unplug that switch, it should have another switch on top of the loader lever, the diff lock is all mechanical linkage and should be a L looking pedal sticking through the floor board, the napa part number for the oil filter is 1602 and the fuel filters are 3357 primary and 3358 secondary, or 3472 fuel water seperator, air filter numbers 2518 outer 2519 inner napa filters are made by wix, rottela 15w40 is a good oil for that.
Thanks For the Great Info! :usa
Good choice! You bought one of the best names in backhoes. I really like mine. Case gives you lots of HP in a nice compact package. Remember CASE stands for: C onsistently A ccomplishing S uperior E xcavation! Or C onsistently A warded S uperior E xcavator :usa
What a find! Nice backhoe. Not to high jack your thread, but I have some related ?'s on your super e. 1- I'm a new member- why can I not create a new thread, but only reply to an existing one? 2- I've been looking for a used hoe for general use on a new home site and general farm use down the road. I've come across a mid 80's 580 super e, 2 wheel drive, ext. hoe, full cab/ good glass, 5,000 hours, over all fair to good condition. The catch is one or more of the engine bearings are spun (sitting outside with the pan off). I have a friend that is an ace heavy eq. repair man and I may try to negotiate having hime repair it and in return letting him use it for a list of jobs he needs to do on his farm. Anyway, it's a big gamble because I don't know what else is wrong with the machine. What would be a good price in this situation? What would a rebuild cost through a case shop? Should I pass and pony up for an municple auction machine (orig. plan) Thanks
Pulling the engine is not that bad i did it twice on my 580C I would get the engine number and go see an engine rebuild shop. it will always cost more to go thru the dealer. then you will know what you have vs getting the munic. machine maybe in better or not condition.
Rebuilding the engine is one option, tho you don't know what else may be damaged inside. A complete O/haul is just about as much or more cost than an exchange engine -- with a warranty! You may also find a good used take-out engine somewhere. At 5000 hours, this hoe is still good depending on the care it's had. The engine may be some indication of that as it's rare for one of these engines to experience bearing failure. (lack of maintenance?) But the rest of the machine, again depending on use and maintenance, is probably still good in production work till about 8500-9000 hours. After that, it's a spare or limited use machine. Check to see if it's been well greased, check the fluids in other compartments for burned smell or contamination. In good condition, mid-eighties 580E's are bringing in about 12000 bucks at Ritchie Bros. I've sold some in poor condition for 8 with around 9-12500 sevice meter hours.
My old C was a '76 and was used by Boston gas so it was driven every where. It was rough to say the least . we pulled the engine did a complete rebuild still needed work but it was good enough to start makeing $$ 2wd std hoe.I wouldn't pay more than 6-7 K if it was in rough shape in my opinion.
Welcome to HEF lavarock64! :drinkup You will need to make 5 posts before your allowed to start a new thread. :thumbsup
Thanks for the replies guys! I have the same concerns as all of you on the maintenence that the machine has seen. We are in discussion mode right now, but I'm may wait for a better working machine to come along (time is on my side for once) Could you guys school me on the 4 in 1 buckets? I've read that they are good for pulling small trees/ fence posts as well as typical scooping duties. What else? Can you push with them as well? Thanks, Chris
yes you can push but not being a track machine you will go up and down don't know to many guys that use it for that function. more for carring and lifting .
You can push with one, but about the first 10 feet are the most important. If you don't have a smooth surface to drive over, the rest of your push will just bounce up and down as well. Also one of my favorite things is to bite the last couple of wheel barrow fulls of dirt that would normally have to be shoveled by hand.
Thanks for the thoughts onthe 4 in 1. I'm in deep search mode still and have made some interesting observations. 1- For a hoe that has some reasonable life left in it (not wrenching on it all the time), I'm looking at $15-20 K. 2- Every hoe I look at has BAD rust. NY tends to put generous amounts of salt down in the winter. Because many hoes are used for plowing it's showing it in the form of rust. Last year I drove to VA to get a truck that was rust free, I'm wondering if I should go south for a hoe? Great site by the way!
I'd go look south. My friend was looking at a used vehicle at one of our car lots here in WA and the SUV had massive amounts of rust on it/under it and it came from the east coast. I wouldn't want to mess with that stuff. Blake WA
question I know this is OT but I'm regristered but I can't make a post, has anyone else had this problem
Pops, Well, one of our friendly moderators will be along in a little while, but in the mean time... Do you mean you can't start a new thread? Obviously you can make a post since that one came through...:bash You have to make 5 posts before you can start a new thread. It's a way to keep the spammers at bay. So far you have 1 post. After you make 4 more, you'll be able to start you own thread. In the mean time, find a few threads you interested in and post away... Details are in this post: Oh yea, welcome to the forum...:waving :drinkup Joe
Joe, thanks for the information. I didn't realize to make 5 replies to qualify to start a thread. Mines a 93 Super Glide, what years yours? Tim 3 more to go.
Welcome to HEF pops! :drinkup Electra Glide would be correct in what he stated. :thumbsup Thanks for handling that in our absense Electra Glide. :drinkup
I know every new member doesn't read the "Support" forum before they try to post, so every time this question comes up, I'm gonna post the link to the thread that contains the answer. That way, at least it'll have a higher profile.
You've seen it here first folks...the Worlds... *pause for effect* ...Longest Link. I was thinking of doing something along those lines with my Welcome posts but that'll work too. :thumbsup
Thanks Digger, I didn't know there was a support column. I looked every where to see what my problem was but sure missed that. I sent Steve about 3 e-mails trying to sort it out. He's probably ticked off at me now. 2 more to go. Tim
Steve is the only one with the power to do it, and he has a real life, and business, away from here, so he sometimes gets too busy, but in a pinch, he can upgrade a member's status, and enable them to post immediately. The other alternative is to ask one of us to start a thread for you, and post your question there. I've done that a number of times, but just as with Steve, you have to catch me when I have the time to do it. And, welcome to HEF...
1995 Joe
Joe, very nice. Maybe one day I'll learn how to post a picture. Tim
Tim, That one's on the support page as well: Now, let's see some pics... Joe
Joe, not very good, but you get the idea. Until Steve gives me the ok to start a thread I've sent the thread I wanted to post to Digger in hopes that he will post it for me. If he does I have a few pictures that may help explain one of my questions. I'm waiting for the service manual so I'll know the correct terms, until then I'll have to rely on pictures. Tim
Pops, you have now made 5 posts so you should be able to start a thread
Thank you Squizzy. Tim
I didn't get it. From the memberlist: Are you sure you sent it to the right one? And while we're here, the heck with that bike. What's that in the background?
Looks like a Cessna 150 or a 152? Yeah, I want to know about it too! edit: I'm leaning toward the 150 'cause of the plain tube style pitot... or is that the tank vent?
It's a 1961 Cessna 150A straight tail. Your right thats the pitot tube. Digger, don't know what happen to the mail I sent you but looks like I'll be able to start that thread on my own know, thanks for the help. Tim
I worked late on Weds, and by the time I got home yesterday to upgrade the account there were already 5 posts. Sorry for the delay, but it's the only way we can keep the Board free of spam.
That had the manual flap lever between the seats,right?That's what I learned to fly in )Ron G
RonG, your absolutely right about that, no problem with electric motors. Tim
test
didn't notice out of date post????? We do have a test section for testing posts.