I have been watching this forum for awhile and there is a lot of knowledgeable people here, so I thought I would join up. I recently acquired a Case 350 dozer. I think it is a '72 or '73 model. Seems to be in pretty good shape, but needs a few things that I hope the good folks here can help me with. I am not a novice to dozers but have lots of questions. Looks like the previous owner was not a real stickler when it came to maintenance. To feel good about the whole thing, I need to change or add to most of the fluids. I got my hands on some aftermarket manuals, Jensales, and they seem pretty thorough. When I started to look at the lubricant info, I felt like I was going to end up at the Case dealer and spending a fortune on fluids, so that is my first question, what are acceptable alternates for all of the fluids, especially the hydraulic fluid, which needs to be changed real bad. I am in Central Texas and was going to use 30wt Rotella engine oil, if you agree. I will probably end up getting some of the filters from the dealer, unless you have some good alternatives. TSC stores are all over the place if that is an option. A couple more questions before I go. Looks like I need both top track rollers, so any suggestions for sourcing would be helpful. They don't look to be too hard to replace, so I guess I will give it a shot. I was also wondering about any additive for the diesel. The motor starts right up, idles pretty well, but, for lack of a better word, seems to kinda slobber some, not a real crisp, smooth idle. A little black smoke when you accelerate quickly and occasional faint white smoke. I was thinking that maybe the injectors might have some buildup or blockage, causing the uneven idle and wanted to try something to maybe clean them up before the next step. Last question, I noticed in the manual that there is supposed to be 2 batteries. I say supposed, because there is only one and it starts fine. Do I need to add another or just secure the extra cables. Up front, I want to say thanks for your responses. This groups seems willing to help just about anyone who asks. I look forward to your answers and I am sure that I will have plenty more questions.
If San Saba has a NAPA they can cross reference your filters and get pretty much anything you need. The local bulk fuel dealer can provide you with alternative oils, if you can provide them the specs. There are some undercarriage folks that read these forms and can provde aftermarket rollers at a fair price. Good luck Neighbor and welcome to HEF!
Welcome to the Forums Gopher1!:drinkup
Thanks for the info. I spent a little time online and found most of what I needed. I think there is a NAPA store in Goldthwaite that I will try for filters and fluids.
Thanks for the welcome! I will try to post some pics of the dozer soon.
I would use the Traveler 30W from TSC, not sure if the Rotella still has the zinc or not.
Always glad to see more Central Texans on here.
TomA, thanks for suggestion. Since I don't know exactly what was used before, what do you think about 15-40wt instead of 30wt? I remember reading that somewhere, but it conflicts with info that was in the manual. caterpillarmech, thanks for the welcome
If your machine is starting fine with one battery, then I'd leave it alone. In colder climates dual batteries would be required.
Howdy neighbor, I'm only about a 6 pack away from you. Try a little injector cleaner additive in that thing first and then run it hard. Stanadyne makes a good one. When they idle around, they will get to slobbering like that.
Steve, thanks for the info. I will wrap the second cable ends and go from there.
d9gdon, I will definitely give that a try. Seems like I am in good company here with the folks from Central Texas. Thanks again
Like others have said NAPA will have most of you needs. The battery issue like Steve said, your weather is not like the North, they came with two group 27H and they are only 430 cold cranking amps each. If the battery you have in it now is starting it well I would leave it, some batteries have a lot of power compared to the 70's era Batteries.
sheepfoot, thanks for the info