hello i have recently bought a Komatsu D60p 6 serial number 28204. Curious on year. but recently the reverse, neutral forward lever is not engaging. Reverse most of the time and now forward as well? can anyone help me with understanding whats going on. Possibly i can fix it or at least tell a mechanic. any info helps thanks
Hello and sorry to hear of your trouble.. What do you mean the shifter lever isn't going into gear with grinding or growling? You may have to adjust the inertia brake so the shaft stops allowing gear engagement.. Keep in touch..
Ok is the inertia brake the lever on the left that stops the fly wheel from spinning. If so it does completely stop. It is the lever in the right that goes from reverse to neural to forward that can't pop into gear smoothly. Thank you for a reply much appreciated. I had a mechanic check it he put a scope into the transmission and he said there where once were two copper pieces and thier worn. But he has never worked on a Komatsu dozer before so he could mistaken. Any thoughts?
If you are sitting in the seat it's on the right.. All it is is a small band that goes around the driveshaft to stop it from spinning.. But you said that does stop.. If it stops too fast it will make the gears bind not allowing for easy shifting... Hard to tell without seeing it.. The owner's manual way to shift these beasts is actually partially push in the clutch half way for a milla second and at the same time fully push clutch and brake pedal in for stopping machine. You'll find it does shift smooth this way but still if the gears aren't lined up when shifting again it wont' fall in without clutching again or as I do... I move the front blade up or down suddenly which causes slight enough movement of drive train to match the gears up and in it goes...
Alright I can try that system of operation. I'll go slow with it. So my mechanic wants to take the whole transmission out.. You wouldn't happen to live in northern California would ya?
No I'm in Western New York.