Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New hoist line

Tradesman ยท 2015-01-21 21:39

I'm Planning to change my hoist line in the spring so I'm starting to look now, the easiest thing would be to take it to my dealer, but if the past is any indication it will cost two or three time what it would if I buy it myself and install it myself. I've never had to change one before, I priced one today from my rigging supplier he priced a 9/16" 19x7 rotation resistant @ $ 1.61 per foot seems like a good price Questions Is that too cheep I'm worried about buying junk It seems that all boom trucks come with R.R. rope but all the info says they are to be used for single line only and not to be used with a swivel, every boom truck I've seen has a swivel hook on it, what am I missing. Should I give in and pay my crane shop for there expertise Regards Tradesman

Replies13
  1. #1BobCatBob2015-01-21 22:57

    Ask if it's American made and get the cert with the cable reel. I bought 400 feet, 9/16 with similar stranding and it was just under $3.00 a foot. He had some Korean wire for about $2.00/foot.

  2. #2mitch5042015-01-21 23:08

    Check AW direct, and google rigging suppliers.

  3. #3Dualie2015-01-22 00:44

    you have to pay particular attention to spooling it with the original lay of the cable. I forget the proper terminology for this. The local independent crane repair company has a machine that will wind the cable onto a second spool so it will wind it back onto the drum just as it was on the spool

  4. #4Tradesman2015-01-22 08:34

    I gave in and asked my crane shop, they recommend 35 x 7 compacted, it is OK for multi part and a swivel hook. I guess that's why they are the experts and the other guy is just selling what ever he can get out the door. Lesson learned pay people for there expertise or go to HEF and get it for free :notworthy Ps. its also twice the $$ but that's cheap if the wrong rope fails

  5. #5Nige2015-01-22 08:51

    I see you bit the bullet, but my first question would have been "according to the manufacturer of the crane what should the spec of the rope be?" as opposed to "what is the supplier offering you?"

  6. #6Tradesman2015-01-22 11:05

    I haven't bought it yet, I don't have any love for my local Elliott dealer so I defer to the local manitex dealer super guys and great service. But good advice I've had good luck phoning Elliott directly. Thanks

  7. #7Nige2015-01-22 13:07

    Surely the manual for the hoist gives a specification for the rope..?

  8. #8HATCHEQUIP2015-01-22 15:18

    We only use domestic for hook cranes and import for dirt machines, like Nige said your crane manufacture will give you the proper speck for the cable that you can get from your locale wire rope supplier. Remember if your winding the rope onto the top of your drum it needs to come off the top of the reel and if your drum "which yours doesn't" winds on from the bottom it needs to roll off the bottom of the reel. Had a outfit one time that had just laid the reel on its side and a man would just uncoil it off the side as they were winding it on the drum.... it wasn't a pretty site

  9. #9Nige2015-01-22 15:31

    One of my most prized possessions that unfortunately I don't use too much any more is my copy of the "Ropeman's Handbook" published by the NCB (National Coal Board - the former Govt-owned coal mining corporation) from the UK. That book is the bible for all sorts of ropes, even to such complex ones as lock-coil underground mine hoisting ropes. It was first published in the 1950s and even the most recent addition dates from the 1960s. http://books.google.com.do/books/about/Ropeman_s_handbook_3rd_ed.html?id=h0I0MwEACAAJ&redir_esc=y

  10. #10Tradesman2015-01-22 18:02

    I checked my manual it just says 9/16" wire rope. No recommendation of make up of the rope. This has been a good exercise, I have read about the different types, but now that I am buying one that I have trust my life and business with I'm paying attention. Thanks for all the helpful comments

  11. #11HATCHEQUIP2015-01-23 14:14

    If the dealer want give you the speck keep going upstream to the manufacture. I dont know of anyone that buys their rope from the dealer at least not around here.

  12. #12td25c2015-01-23 20:10

    Found this file on a Elliott 32105 boom . On page 2 in the winch paragraph they mention 425' of 9/16" rotation resistant cable with a swivel hook . http://www.sunriseequipment.com/uploads/elliott-32105-specifications-manual.pdf I would also give Elliott a shout or send them an e mail on the subject . They have some nice looking rigs . http://www.elliottequip.com/product...-in-Department/Departments/products/boomtruck

  13. #13Tradesman2015-01-23 20:45

    Found this at Uni-Rope Finally I got talking to a salesman with a lot of knowledge he explained the merits of one rope over the other This is the quote I received. I went to their web sight and read the specs.it is an excellent rope. (425โ€™) โ€“ 9/16โ€ Python Compac 35 Wire Rope -$ 4.00 per ft. Please note this is a High Performance German Rope made of German Steel