Hello, I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 New Holland backhoe with 4wd. It had 800 hours on the clock. Seller is asking 10k usd. I currently have a 580 b, with the ck attachment to the tractor. I have several things that need to be fixed and am thinking of putting a band aid on the items and getting rid of the old bird and putting the money towards the new machine. Are New Holland backhoe's know for quality? It is supposed to have a diesel engine. Who would make the engine for this machine? From what I understand, this machine would be practically new with the hours on it. Anything to look out for? Thanks for any advice.
look out for why it is so incredibly cheap!
I agree, that is scam cheap! If it is real, and you can get the seller (and hopefully owner too) in the same place at the same time live at the machine, and it is not stolen, I don't think you could go wrong.
it is at a dealer. dealer says it is a rental machine that they have trouble renting with the economy and they want out.
i have a 1985 555A Ford with XL digger on the back,, have a little over 4000 hrs,,,i would be hard pressed to take 10K for it........your deal is 2 good to be true
Leon, That's a pretty good deal for that new of a hoe. If you have seen it at the dealer than I would proceed with your due dilligence/purchase process. I have seen advertisements on line, and even in my local paper, that are too good to be true. Be careful as I think these are phishing scams. When you try to contact them with reasonable questions you will only get back requests for payment and information. I have not had experience with New Hollands since the late 90's. They were just transitioning from Fords to New Hollands (still used Ford badging) and they had some issues. I don't recall exactly what the issues were but I would say that for the money, and the fact that said NH would be at least twice the machine as your 580B, I would buy it if it passed my inspection. I much prefered the way that they dug over the Case backhoes that my employer also had at that time (K series). Ford used to make the engines but they may have gone to Perkins (guessing) once they were bought by NH. Now I think they come with Iveco like the newer Cases (both NH and Case were bought by Fiat a few years back). Anyway, my concerns, based on your post, are not for quality of machine. They are based on the price/deal. I hope it is true and, if so I'm sure you will be much happier with the newer hoe (welcome to the twentieth century).
Rental machines often see abuse. Check the boom and especially the dipper (even more important if equipped with an extendable dipper) for cracking/repairs. The engine should have an ID badge on it. This should reveal the MFR.
thanks for the input. A buddy just bought a skid steer at this place for 22k with 2000 hours on it, so I know this place is selling stuff cheap. Most of the stuff was used in sand. I plan on a visit later this week.
I have 2007 NH unit, not sure if yours is the same but the outer orings for the glands on the rams are below the thread, on most i have seen they are above the thread, what this means, and especially if they have been digging in salt water is that water has access to the thread, makes then very hard to get off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even the front rams that use the wire holder were hard to get off.
we been waiting for pics,,,,,,,,,, and tell us how you got it home lol
Jim, Went to the dealer today. The machines were legit. Price was $15k not 10. I missed the boat. Someone signed them out on lease for the winter for snow removal. Depending on the weather, I may go back for the deal in the Spring. They had everything; extended hoe, 4wd, AC...one even had a gripper bucket on the front (they wanted another $1k for that bucket). thanks for the heads up guys. hopefully Ill get it in the spring.