I have posted here before asking about Ford 555 backhoes so I thought I'd ask some more here. How are these machines for a decent used machine for heavy homeowner use ? My kids are planning to build on my property plus along with maintaining log roads etc, food plot stump removal. Open station is much more preferred since no inclement weather use or cold weather. My local town has a 2003 that may be going up for sale and the operator said it has been a great machine with no breakdowns. 3000 hrs and look pretty nice for 17 yrs old. Any thoughts on these or comments ? Thanks.
I have a 2004 of this same model with closed erops. Mine is 4wd, extenda-hoe, and it had about 4400 hours when I bought it for about $23K. I don't have any experience with other brands but I've been happy with mine. I think it's always safe to say your should expect to spend some maintenance money (for me a change out of the batteries, oil, hydraulic fluid, filters for both of those and a fuel filter was ~$1200). You'll likely need to be prepared for hose replacement too... Mine has been a general beast, but without experience on others I don't know if it's missing power or not doing things it should be able to do. A lot of my research turned up that while there wasn't a ton of others with experience with New Holland there weren't many complaints and zero "avoid these at all costs" or "this part will undoubtedly fail". I'd say if the price is right, and it seems mechanically sound, get it. It may do you well to hire a mechanic to come check it out too...
Hello milkie62, Here are my 2 cents... I was looking at a B95 in January of 2020. The tractor I looked at it it was a mess, so I passed. I was shocked, because it only had 1700 hours on it, which is nothing for a tractor. That said, I did purchase a 2000 New Holland 675E, which is the generation before the B95. Now I know you were looking at a LB75B, however, the machine is very similar, just less powerful and lower capacities. So, I would have loved to buy the B95, if it were in good shape because it was newer, but I am happy with my purchase. BTW, in my search, I did not find lots of people saying stay away from NH, they are junk. What I did see was people who LOVE Case, Deere, etc, saying how much better their favorite brand was over the NH. I, myself am not brand loyal. I also had a JD 310SE in my sights, but in my neck of the woods, everything JD is over priced. If you are interested, there is a guy that is an owner operator that has a B95, and he makes all the repairs, and videos them. His YouTube channel is Digginok. You will note that the NH is serviceable overall. Here is a link...it is good watching, and he has over 10,000 hours on his machine, and still going strong. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq-0gxHH0qtml8fnRnkQGaw There are a couple of members on here that have NH tractors, but mostly 555e, 655e, and 675e. Again, they are very similar. For your search, if you were going to be happy with a 555, you will love the LB75B. It seems that the NH tractors are getting better as the years go on. Other important criteria for the purchase would be proximity to the dealer, and is he any good. Another piece of the puzzle, is a thorough inspection of the tractor. If you are not comfortable that you are qualified, hire someone as aighead said. Since you state it was owned by the town, there should be some service records...they will show you if it was really taken care of, and if it was good or a POS from day 1. 3000 hours are not a bunch if it was properly maintained. Finally, tractors can last a looong time, if properly taken care of. I would not worry about it because it is 17 years old. any members here have MUCH older machines, still going strong. Again, care, means more than hours or years. An added bonus of the 17 year old machine is that it does not have the high dollar pollution controls to worry about. Personally, that was a big part of my decision to go older. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards Ford/New Holland since the guy that did a lot of work for me had a 655 4wd Extendahoe. He was within eyesight of my place so he could just hop into the machine and drive over. He has since passed away. He was never a big maintenance guy or easy on equipment and that 655 just kept running. He liked it so the 555/655 was what I was leaning towards for just a good homeowner piece of equipment and maybe some contract work within short drives. Was trying to keep the price to a max of $20k so I figured if I could find an open rops that would help in keeping it in my price range. Never here much about the LB series but after talking to the town guys on their 2003 model,that also looks like a viable option along with a 675 model. 4wd would be nice along with extendahoe but seeing as it will never see use in the winter and mostly open areas and wood roads I think I can get by w/out the 4wd should a sweet deal come along.Thanks for the you tube link. I wil check it out. I will also have a mechanic check any machine I want to buy.
BTW Swetz I will check out the B95's. I do plan on doing as much of my own work as possible.
After looking at the B95's, the price range at minimum is about double of what I really want to pay. $20k or a little more is more of my price range,maybe $25k tops for 4wd.
It took me a bit of looking (and a 4 hour drive) to find mine with a similar budget as yours @milkie62 . I was itching to stay under $20k and I got too antsy to really commit. I found several different models, in Michigan and all within my general budget, that I went to look at. I ended up getting the NH and not looking at anything else due to it checking all the boxes I wanted checked.
milkie62, The LB75B will do everything that you want. No real need to go to the B95, if it does not fit your budget. Keep in mind, a guy that is going to make a living with a machine wants to get in and out fast. So, the bigger machine will lift more quicker, but is speed your thing...I think not. The 555E, 655E,675E, Etc. Were really the last generation Ford machines when Fiat (Case New Holland) took over Ford ~1998-2000. The B75, B95, etc. were the first generation after the Fiat (New Holland) takeover. Trust me, looking at them, they are very similar. One difference is that New Holland went to the iveco engine. It is a cummins clone, and from all of my research, a very good engine. My 675E still uses the old Ford engine. Backhoe boom design is similar in the 555E vs. B75. I often wonder if parts like extenda-hoe wear pads would interchange. Look at the front loader arms and linkage too. They are similar old vs. new. Even the ****** plastic side covers are similar, and do crack just the same (the current went to a tilt hood and got rid of the crappy side covers, but that cost over $120k. As far as price, if this auction does not come through for you, it will take some looking, and traveling, as aighead stated. Trust me, it will be worth it to find the right one. I got real lucky on mine. It is a 2000 model with 700 hours on it, 4x4, and entenda-hoe with cab and A/C for $25k. The guy gave me the original bill of sale. The guy who purchased it paid over $85k for it. In my area, if it was a deere, it would have sold in 1 day for $35-40k. That said, I did a lot of looking. Another thing I found was that a lot of the machinery trader type of online places were much more $ than craigslist or facebook marketplace. EBay is another place to find a deal, but I wanted to inspect mine personally so that became the issue because the abundant deals at the time were in Texas which is a bit far for me. I found mine on craigslist, and it was a smooth transfer. I had a bunch of little stuff to fix, which I am still working on. My use is similar to yours. Whatever you buy, I would recommend that you do a complete service on the machine so that you know where you stand. This will help you get to know the machine too.
Thanks for the ideas. I did buy my Kubota M6800 over near Ohio border. Did an overnite trip and bought it on the spot. 317 hrs and about $8-10K less than in my area. Well worth the hotel bill and the $600 shipping for the amt I saved. I will more than likely have to travel. My upstate NY area is rocky/shaly and a machine will take a beating. May even head to the Ritchie Bro auction in Fla come winter. I hear all sand down that way.