I have a 2005 New Holland L170 skid steer. We are having frequent problems when doing snow removal with the seat belt safety feature. It will lock up the hydraulics and have the seat belt light come on. We can not raise or lower the boom then and are locked into the cab. Sometimes it will do it very seldom, and it seems the more snow removal I do and the longer I operate it, the more frequently it happens. I sometimes unhook and re-hook the seat belt 10-20 times and then it may just start working. I have also put it in my warm garage and used a hair dryer on the seat belt receptacle in case it had moisture in it. Today I was locked in the cab for 1/2 hour before it worked long enough to lower the arms and be able to open the door. Any ideas? Thanks, Randy
You are not going to want to hear this but here we go. New Holland's have always had the problem, they are notorious for it. I finally got rid of both of mine 10 years ago and have never had a problem since. Regards, CD
I have 12,000 hours between two machines an LX665 and an LS170 and had to replace the buckle twice. Fortunately I do not have the enclosed cab so it was not a real problem if it quit. Both of these machines have run in cow manure literally inside and out for their entire lives. The foot pedals are rusted through on one of the machines but the electrical has been reliable. The seat belt itself is fraid about a third through on the 8000hr machine. No good way to wire around the circuit for permanent use but it would be easy to wire an emergency push to operate switch. I cant imagine being in your situation trapped in the machine when a risk of fire is possible. Both of these machines live in enclosed buildings with very little access to mother nature so water is not a problem for me.
We went through enough on our NH machines. They do not sell the sensor seperate and they do not sell the seat belt halves seperate. IIRC it was a couple hundred to replace it all.
As I installed a five point racing harness in my LS180 for shear work, I bypassed the seatbelt switch with an on/off toggle mounted by left stick. get in, flip on, wait for beep, then turn off. Tells it operator has exited and reentered. Cut both wires to seatbelt switch and wire in a toggle(one with leads made into it works best). seat sensor and connection can also give problems.
Thanks so much for your response! Randy
Thanks so much for responding with the information. Randy
Hey all! I hope you can help. I just bought a used New Holland skid steer L170 with 2,000 hours. Sometimes it's fine, but sometimes it just won't start. The safety feature recognizes that I'm sitting in the seat and the belt is buckled, the solenoid clicks but it won't turn over. Anybody know what this might be?
I'd take the battery cables off, clean them and tighten . Check the grounds also. Otherwise it may be the starter relay.
In both service and run position? Does everything die when it clicks or no? If not, probably the starter. They suck, we couldn't get a year out of them.
When you did this did you take the 2 wires that were before the plug under the seat? Or did you cut the wire that goes to the seat belt? I cut the wire and there are 3 wires in it. I tried hooking them up to a toggle assuming one was just a ground but I cant seem to get it to work? I was hoping you could give me a little more of a description? My boom is stuck half way up and I really need to get it working. Thanks for you help
Cut out the seat belt and seat pressure switch, splice the wires. Unbolt the panel under your feet and look at the spool valve. Itll have two little solenoid spool blockers on top, one on each valve spool to lock the pedals. Unthread them, throw them away and cap the holes. They were either npt or SAE, i cant recall.