Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new job-starting out, Advice?

oriden ยท 2009-07-05 23:49

hey all, just looking for some advice from you more experinced folk. I finished a HEO course this past spring, i worked for about a month then got laid off (thanks world econemy!) after about what seems like 99999 resumes later no bites, then today just out of the blue i get a call from a company. He wanted to meet me later today (sunday) but after my lay off i got back to my warehouse job and was about to start work. so he says hell give me a call monday morning and see if we could get together to talk about it. he did ask about having an AZ or DZ licence and asked if i was good with starting as a labour. so really just asking the opions of the in formalness. words of wisdom or caution. hoping not to screw the one intrest in over 3 months. :canada i may add i am 19 and hopefull not afriad to get dirty. and posses some construction experince

Replies23
  1. #1CascadeScaper2009-07-06 01:26

    Show up early, stay late, work any offered hours, do a little more than necessary in the AM (clean glass on the iron, etc..) I show up early and clean glass a couple days a week even on machines that I don't run. I'm an operator, though, but if a laborer did that I think it would definately show that he wanted to get into a seat.

  2. #2gasfield315c2009-07-06 02:05

    :iagree hes right...always do whatever it takes to show them you really wanna be there more than the next guy...just cuz your young dont mean anything, im only 22 and i have been on equipment since highschool, and the place i work at just layed off 25 people, some of them have been operators for 15+ years, but they dont take pride in their work, abuse equipment, and have i dont give a f*#! attitudes, me and the other guys on my crew do... so we are still workin every day. So always work like its the only job you will ever be able to get

  3. #3oriden2009-07-06 11:44

    thanks boys, i got a hold of the boss,asked of my experince on an excavator, well im just starting out so only about 60 hours. and then says well we should keep in touch he miught have a labour job for me and that was it. but thats why he called in the fiorst place, so am i beeing shafted?

  4. #4dirt digger2009-07-06 13:13

    if he doesn't call back in a week call him and ask if theres any news really he knew in the first few minutes of talking to you if he wanted to hire you or not, so there is nothing really you can do about it now except hope that you made a good impression

  5. #5oriden2009-07-06 15:15

    well he was talking about labour to beguin with, wanted to meet me sunday evening but i was working afternoons this week. i had contacted him about a month ago, said hed hold onto my resume, he didnt have much at that point, then he called me twice sunday morning, left 2 messages, between now and then i had done a couple check ins as well so i do feel that i made a decent impression. ill call back in a week though like you say, maby convince to meet him im eeger to get off Freezer night shift and back into the field! thanks for your input guys :canadain

  6. #6lynger2009-07-06 18:34

    Can't agree more wih what these guys have said. First impressions mean everything. I was in a similar situation for a couple months...I called guys back I hadn't heard from in a week or so and finally one company bit. Worked hard and got there early and then I started to get bigger repairs and tasks around the shop. BTW which HEO course did you go to?

  7. #7WesternStar2009-07-06 18:45

    Try your best to always stay busy at the job. Even if it is just sweeping up or doing some little raking to make the final grade look nice. Generally if you are the kind of guy who will stay busy and get work done on the job then the boss will keep you around.

  8. #8qball2009-07-06 19:16

    if you see any sticks stuck in the ground with ribbons on them and funny symbols, yank them all out and hand them to the boss for a bonus.:tong just kidding. dress for work and pack a big lunch.

  9. #9cat994ca2009-07-06 19:58

    Every one of these Operators have good advice. The one thing we show all our clients is that we will do what ever it takes to get the job done. For myself, I've gotten off my machine an jumped in a hole knee deep in mud to help out.

  10. #10oriden2009-07-07 01:00

    i wanted to go to fleming or conastoga but i ended up going to transport training centers of canada. where in ontario are you located? who you working for if you dont mind my asking thanks for the advice guys, gona call back next week and see if hell agree to meet me at some point, i am fully ready to get in the mud on my feet not the seat and work to get there. just need the chance thanks again :canada

  11. #11tonka2009-07-07 08:58

    like all these guy have said do whatever it takes, its the little things that stick in the back of the boss' mind. I am an operator and have been since i was 18, i'm 34 now and never been lay'd off. Just bust your butt, keep out of the drama that is on every jobsite, ask questions, wash windows, come in early to warm up the equipment, help fuel equipment, if your fuel lube guy comes during the day get in on his good side. Go the extra mile, and put in the extra effort it will pay off, maybe not now but it will someday, good luck! chris

  12. #12Burnout2009-07-07 12:02

    Eric.... show up monday morning, start working and at the end of 2 weeks if you dont get money, go up to him and just say.... Look how good a worker I am. Now give me a job jerk. Be eager to work, it worked for me. I am only 23 and I am running the apparently most complex machine in the company. Some guy with 25+ yrs experience got sent home so I could come back to work.

  13. #13HEO Girl2009-07-07 15:25

    Good luck Oriden!! Hope you get the job! Let us know what happens.

  14. #14lynger2009-07-07 22:27

    Nice. I went to Fleming for the technicians course, I'm from Kingston though. I'm an apprentice tech not an operator but had similar troubles finding work..and started out as the gopher(spelling) around the shop...now I have my own work space. I work for CRS, a rental company. Good luck!

  15. #15oriden2009-07-07 23:25

    calling by name now? :$ im off monday tuesdays im gona call him and see if i could come down and work a bit for him even for free or a small amount, it might get my foot in a door some where. :Banghead :bash thanks for the advice boys, i got a bag ready in my trunk and my resignation from the warehouse ready 5 min notice for career change. i apprecaite all the words of wisdom :drinkup ill let you boys know what happens:notworthy

  16. #16euclid2009-07-08 07:39

    Hope the job works out. I believe if you show up everyday, keep the pie hole shut and that initiative in a positive way to help out the whole organization you'll be a valued asset. When I was running a 966 a few years ago on the side and the boss didn't want me to stop working for him. I greased the machine everyday, made sure all the fluids were in spec and I kept the cab clean. I helped out on a part time deal but he wanted me full time because I was always ready to work. and he'd matched my current job on the wage, but I was on a big team event and our project was in a test phase and I am safety so I needed to finish my job and get the plane out of test. Seems like a like of operators don't care for the equipment or the job, just the check and for that a lot of wasted money is spent fixing equipment.

  17. #17oriden2009-07-08 23:33

    burnout and my self along with other guys on here could write you a rant in book form on machines being taken care of, i saw the worse one yet today but no batteries for the camra

  18. #18oriden2009-07-13 14:00

    Well today was the day boys, i called him up, sold my ass like the cure for cancer, got an interview after hes done on site (about 6pm tonight) so fingers, toes, and all other limbs crossed :drinkup :canada

  19. #19Wolf2009-07-13 15:51

    Good luck. Do your best and let us know what happens man.

  20. #20oriden2009-07-13 23:33

    nothing happened didnt even get to meet him, insted im sapoused to show up at 630AM tommrow.

  21. #21CascadeScaper2009-07-13 23:38

    Good, that means he's gonna put you to work and see how you do. Show up by 6AM at the latest and go from there. Good luck.

  22. #22oriden2009-07-13 23:39

    its what i was thinking but not sure, meetign at a coffe shop, timhortons for all my northern brothers on here

  23. #23Wolf2009-07-14 00:17

    Excellent. You passed the first test. No interview is good--he's gonna put you right to work. Do your best man.