Wanted to say hello, I recently got a job with Caterpillar with their marketing department, I am still learning a lot about the industry but I already have a basic knowledge of the machine and industry, I do speak Spanish. If you have any questions about Caterpillar or the industry, I will be glad to help or try to help in anything I can. I also have general knowledge about Power System, Forestry and Recycling equipment and parts. Thanks, looking forward to making some good friends.
So your in marketing right? What in the world was Cat thinking with the Cat D6N rap video??? this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2-8-aOM_k0 ointhead
That's 3 minutes I'll never get back.
I actually work for a local dealer but we thought that video was pretty funny, Caterpillar is looking to appeal to younger generations I guess. A year working with Cat and what I like the most is that we do prioritize customers satisfaction, I had 15 years of customer service experience and they brought me in to better client relations, I deal with clients from all over the world and most of them say the same thing, "we are not the cheapest but we do our best to take care of our customers," the level of satisfaction of our customers is pretty. I knew nothing about the industry when I came in and I know a good bit now.
CatGuy, I must say you have produced a rather bizarre introduction. Your first post gives us the impression you hired on in the big departments of Cat, but then you expounded on that in your second post to report you hired on to a "local dealer". Second, to assume Cat is looking to appeal to "younger generations", that speculation puzzles me. How would Cat possibly come up with the idea that younger generations have the money/capital or even the interest to purchase the big dollar machines that keep a company like Cat in businiess? Yeah, maybe those "young pups" will be in such a position 30 years from now, but no way in the short term "marketing" forecast. And third, you speak Spanish. And your point is? Is there a large español community in your local area? Do you assume we do español here at HEF? And four (cuatro), you have customers (from all over the world) contact you at your (local) Cat dealership and tell you that "Cat is not the cheapest"? Well, I purchase parts almost daily for a number of the big brands, and in my experience Cat doesn't come close to being as proud of their parts as Komatsu. Moreover, in the world of heavy equipment, there's no such thing as "cheap" in any of the major brands. I don't care what brand you have it takes big money to support it. For these reasons I stated your thread was bizarre. Would you care to be straight up and tell us what your story really is? Or is this your story and you're sticking to it? I really mean no offense, just trying to sort out some inconsistencies.
I work for the marketing department of a local Cat dealer, we work with their logistics and marketing campaigns, clients relations and we do have relations we other cat dealers around the country. I am bilingual which means I help with Spanish speaking clients. Cat has a rule which is that we can only sell new machines and parts in our local markets, when in comes to used machines and parts, we can sell anywhere in the world, a few weeks ago, we sold a used track loader to a company in Honduras. That is where my job kicks in, I help with Spanish speaking clients in the States, Latin America and Spain. In Caterpillar we have loyal long time clients but we also have the new millennials coming in and we are looking to stay tech ready for them, we are looking at apps and new technologies that will help the younger generations as well. I have been on the phone with clients that do not have an email and do not want one. The new generation want cell phone apps to look at their machines and order parts... Cat is always investing money to better customer relations and make it easier for our different demographics, we talk a lot about customer satisfaction in our management meetings, always looking to improve our services. I hope that helps, feel free to ask any other question, there is not right or wrong. I had many questions when I came on board as well, one thing Cat offered me was good benefits, that made a huge difference in my decision to join Cat, as for now I am happy with my decision. The owner of the business believes in taking care of his employees and customers, that is very important for me.
Welcome aboard Catguy503. I've had a good relationship with Blanchard for years now. BTW, isn't kind of weird for you to have a 3-digit number as part of your screen name? Mitch504
Thank you sir, I have lived in Southern California before, that is where the number comes from, we speak to a lot of clients from South Carolina and different states, our customer satisfaction rating is really good, so far 80% of responses are very positive and we are still working harder to improve those numbers. I will be around reading comments, if anybody else has any more questions you can post it here or send me a pm, feel free to ask anything you want to know, if I dont know the answer I will make sure I can point you into the right direction. Thanks
I stopped the video at 0:15, I couldn't watch any more, lol.
the average age for a civil contractor is probably 55
We are aware of that, they do have children and grand children, most Cat customers are very loyal and we do work with their younger relatives as well. At the end of the day, we want to keep the machines up and running, is good for their business, is good for our business, if the customer is happy, we are doing our job well
I think the video was cool, I just wonder how many young people are interest in this kind of work, it seems like very few are. Mike rowe talks about the skills gap for the construction trades, he's got a point I think young people are steered away from these kinds of jobs. It seems like the parents are encouraging them to find white collar jobs. Currently there's a 40,000 truck driver shortage and if there was more construction I'm sure there would be a construction worker shortage as well. I'm 15 and come from a white collar background, my dads an economist, grandfathers doctors and engineer, My cousins is going to college for economics, uncles a doctor too, my other uncle is ceramic artist, other ones a chemist. Not one person in my family worked in construction. And I plan on starting a demolition business when I'm old enough to get my cdl. My family probably thinks I'm weird
Plausible explanation Catguy, thank you. I think Willie and the other moderators are constantly on the lookout for spammers, and try to discern posts that have inconsistencies.
You are 15 and you are aware that there is a shortage of 40,000 truck drivers? You have a great future ahead of you, at 15, all I was thinking was girls and playing sports. This is a good business, some of the recycling machines we have are worth more than millions, I recently spoke to some of our clients from Spain. My dad is a lawyer and my step dad a project manager, I knew very little of this industry when I came in, I think if kids knew more about it they will be more excited about running machines and exploring the industry. My grandfather was a farmer so I can relate with different demographics, the technology involved with the machines now days is amazing, the industry is not only growing but also evolving. Thanks all of you for sharing, I will be around reading and sharing thoughts when I get a chance.
No worries, I am new to all this so I am still learning a lot about machines and what they can do. Thanks