Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New member with some new toys

LoneStarGulfCoast ยท 2021-11-03 12:55

Glad to join the forum! I acquired a dream fishing property on about 4ac or neglected land. With this property came a 40x100' metal building and all of the treasures inside (sold ad-is). I've never owned a loader/backhoe (or any heavy diesel powered equipment either).. but now I have a 1992 Cat 416B backhoe loader. In addition there is a 1991 Ford F800 diesel flat truck with crane in there(30,000 miles on it). I'm mechanically inclined and enjoy these projects. The 416B appears to be in ok shape, has a little rust/rot on some flat panels from being down on the coast, but has been stored inside for the most part. Also rust is apparent on steering column F/R shifter. Last owner said it needed some hydraulic leaks repaired, and that was about it. Its sitting with cat litter under it, leaking and neglected. Some questions I have: 1. I need recommendations on best manuals to purchase with diagrams (wiring and mechanical)? 2. Long sit startup procedure ?(I really want to protect the hydro pump) current plan: A. drain fuel and new filter, remove glow plugs and squirt MMO and let sit, check hydraulic level/add oil, crack fuel lines at injectors, crank (w/o glow plugs until I see fuel squirting), tighten up and fire it up. B. let it idle and look for leaks 3. How do I protect the hydro pump? do I need to prime it or fill the pump with oil, etc? Specs: 1992 Cat 416B - 1 yd bucket, 24" scoop 8sg0301 Motor Code: 5HK1927 I'm assuming this is a Perkins 3052 motor?

Replies7
  1. #1aighead2021-11-03 13:58

    Congratulations and welcome to HEF! Sounds like a nice haul you've got! I'm jealous of both your building and new toys!

  2. #2Bluox2021-11-03 14:54

    Get a Cat operation and maintenance manual from Cat. Don't think you have glow plugs a 3054 engine is direct injected and uses a ether injector. Bob

  3. #3LoneStarGulfCoast2021-11-03 16:14

    Thanks! great information in this forum. Some other bonus items were a 61" skag zero turn (needs a little love), diesel powered mueller welding rig with a welding trailer, 1992 Rinker 236 captiva boat with a 502ci motor in it (not worth my time), couple jetski's( not worth my time but trailers might come in handy). The ugly is serious amounts of metal scrap laying around the lot buried under coastal overgrowth and also no power. He was running generator down there and didn't bother to run power poles like the neighbors. He also build in a 1 bed/1bath with living and kitchenette in the building up on stilts with ac and plumbing. Sometimes you just get lucky! lot's of work to do to clean it up.

  4. #4LoneStarGulfCoast2021-11-03 16:18

    Thanks Bob, I'll get my hands on a manual asap. If no glow plugs, what would I want to remove to get access to the pistons for MMO soak and release the compression when turning over? Does that motor have injectors plus additional ether injectors?

  5. #5Dave Neubert2021-11-03 17:43

    I would just fire it up make sure all the levels are full I have had pieces setting for years and just checked levels and started them with no problem the hyd tank sits on top of the hyd pump so as long as there is oil in the tank there will be oil in the pump

  6. #6LoneStarGulfCoast2021-11-03 18:04

    Thanks Dave, the hydraulic pump and tank info is good intel.

  7. #7Delmer2021-11-03 20:31

    With your humidity, it wouldn't hurt to loosen all the drain plugs and let several drops of oil drip out so you know there's no large amount of water in the bottom of anything. Otherwise, change the fuel filter if it looks old, warm it up and then change the oil and oil filter if the oil looks old. Wouldn't hurt to turn off the injection pump and crank it until you get oil pressure, then start it. Either leave the shut off rod in, or disconnect the wire at the injection pump. An ether injector would be a small orifice into the intake manifold, much safer for the engine than Jethro spraying a couple shots, or a couple cans, into the air filter then starting the engine. You'll never need ether in Houston.