Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tread Cuts – How Long Do I Have

Rocket ยท 2007-06-25 20:16

Apparently my operator found some nice sharp stones to cut right through a tread on the CAT 257B. The cut slices through one of the ridges on top of the tread and down into the space in between two ridges. I can see right threw the tread. The slice is about three inches long. How long do you think it will hold? Don't these have a mesh in them or something? I still wondering what he ran over that wasn't sticking in the tread afterwards. Whatever it was he had to feel it pretty good.

Replies12
  1. #1Countryboy2007-06-25 20:29

    Its really hard to say. It might last till the tire is bald or it might go tomorrow. If you can see the cords then that means they are now more vulnerable to the elements, water being of most concern. That doesn't mean the tire is usless though. I would run it till it blows. I gather that the slice goes along the tread and not across it. Sounds like he spun the tire on something sharp.

  2. #2Rocket2007-06-25 20:45

    Not a tire but a track. Yes it does cut across the tread. I could peal the tread/ridge back if needed as it cuts across and goes diagonally (slices under) into the tread until it gets to valley where at one point it punctures the track. I can see through the hole.

  3. #3Countryboy2007-06-25 20:53

    :duh Shoulda looked at the model number more closely. Don't know to much about the rubber tracks. Sorry.

  4. #4CM19952007-06-25 21:25

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the way you describe it you will need a new track soon - depending on operating conditions. I run a Bobcat T250 and recently (last Friday) traded a T190 in on a S250. When you get a deep cut like that you can't repair it. When the metal cords start to show on the outside it is only a matter of time until the track fails. I have had this happen many times and I just run the track until it fails due to the extemely high cost of rubber tracks.:Banghead When the steel cords fray/break the track looses its strength - unfortunately it is a catastrophic failure that will imobilize the machine. On a somewhat better note - check out Solid Deal for replacement tracks. I saved $1k for a set of tracks for the T250.

  5. #5KSSS2007-06-26 09:07

    The CAT tracks don't have steel in them. The record of the ASV/CAT tracks is not very impressive. I would line up a new set from the dealer or where ever you'll need to go to get a new set and then run the old one to failure. In my opinon the high cost of the tracks and their wear rate would prevent changing them out before complete failure. As long as you can pick the tracks up when you need to and don't have to wait for shipping, I would delay as long as possible.

  6. #6TALLRICK2007-06-27 14:47

    Without a picture it's hard to know exactly how long this will last. The CAT/ASV tracks were usually molded in a sectional mold and don't have a lot of reinforcement. For something to cut the track the operator would have had to be pushing something and have a sharp object penetrate the track, or be turning the machine right on a sharp object. A rock could cut the track, but it would have to be a very straight edge on a fixed rock. I have seen RC-30's with all kinds of cuts and chunks ripped out of tracks. The operators don't give much thought to the damage they cause.

  7. #7Jimmy2007-06-29 13:07

    It has been our experience that the Cat track with a cut in it will last longer then a steel/rubber style track once cut. The Steel will start working its way out of the cut on those track's and once out the track will snap. The Cat track has no steel to work its way out and further damage the track. I have seen Cat tracks with a 6 " cut in the middle go 300 + hours after the cut.

  8. #8Countryboy2007-06-29 18:15

    Welcome to HEF Jimmy! :drinkup

  9. #9surfer-joe2007-06-30 02:23

    The track will last quite a while, but keep a close eye on it and as KSSS mentions, line up a new set, or you might find an individual good used one for a good price and keep it handy. A longitudinal cut in the tread isn't so serious as one across the belt. Cat originally had a process to repair the rubber tracks on the Challenger tractors, but gave it up I hear because the cost was too high and the tracks they got in to repair were usually too trashed to do much with. Too bad they haven't found a way to make repairs to these smaller tracks in a cost effective manner. Maybe they can get the Chinese to make the things and sell them at Wal-Mart in the shoe department along with Caterpillar boots. It doesn't take much to cut a tire or a rubber track, especially if water is involved. A wet surface and a moderately sharp rock or piece of debris will do the trick. Rebar and iron pipe are real killers of rubber. Most operators would not even feel such a slice happening. Good Luck!

  10. #10Rocket2007-07-09 20:37

    Thanks guys. I'll be watching it closely.

  11. #11bigvalley2008-12-20 19:49

    Track aging Unless it is a bad cut, track-life is best determined by long-term wear patterns from the boggie wheels pressuring from the underside of the track to the treads.

  12. #12upnover2008-12-21 17:44

    Track repair I have used the following company for reparing a snowmobile track and can attest to the fact that it works. If you go to their web page they claim to fix these types of tracks. May be worth a shot vs spending $$$ on a new track. CarrollTech, Inc. 1024 Helderberg Ave Schenectady, NY 12306 Tele: (518) 346-8966 E-mail [email protected]