Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Midwesterner here

Setch · 2025-07-16 18:52

Hey folks, I go by Setch, I am 29 from the upper Midwest and have been running equipment on and off for about 15 years. I started on tractors as a kid and got some stick time on just about every type of equipment while I was in the Air Force, good times! Went and got and got a degree in Agriculture which following that has given me a lot more experience on different machines. I have a bit of a sad story for the year which has led me here. In May my property was directly hit by a tornado, and my home was completely destroyed. To make matters worse, I was let go from my job three days later because the boss did not want any part in my recovery. I am very thankful for a couple of crews that drove up from Georgia and cleaned up trees for me, as well as a local business that loaned me a beautiful bobcat E35 that I ran for about 45 hours. What a brute that little machine is. Anyways, I am out on my own now trying to figure out this crazy world and I am very interested in buying a piece of equipment and going out on my own to make a living. I would be unbelievably appreciative for any advice that you all could offer a fella down on his luck. Thanks in advance!

Replies7
  1. #1Legdoc2025-07-16 23:51

    Welcome to HEF!

  2. #2Coaldust2025-07-17 00:20

    Hello Setch, What a story. Wow. Hope things look up, soon. Welcome to the HEF. I always have lots of free advice. Everyone, every entity I know, is understaffed, begging for competent help. The flagger girl, with the pothole crew, in my trailer park today is making $54 @ hour and O/T is paid double. With T$ no tax on O/T, I would ride that gravy train instead of doing your own thing. Get a job in the patch for CP or Santos, three hots and a cot, 3x3 and stack the paper. Knowwhatimsayin? Get on my crew. My Forman ran off with a H-B1 waitress from Jamaica last night after I bought dinner for everyone at 49th state brewing. He still hasn’t showed up.

  3. #3Coaldust2025-07-17 00:27

    Look at that spread. Huge highway project on the George Parks. Granite Construction needs help. Three hots and a cot, I’m just sayin’. Make that Niner-Five-Niner scrilla. Head to Hawaii after freeze up. Hit it hard again next year. Rinse and repeat.

  4. #4Coaldust2025-07-17 01:37

    Seriously. Interesting project. I didn’t pay much attention to it because I live at the opposite end of that highway. 54 million dollar contract. Granite Awarded First Phase of CMGC Contract in Alaska for Parks Highway Realignment | Granite Construction WATSONVILLE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Granite (NYSE:GVA) has been awarded a Federally funded $54 million contract to build the first of two construction phases under a Construction Manager/General Contractor (CMGC) contract with the Alaska www.graniteconstruction.com

  5. #5Setch2025-07-17 15:51
  6. #6Coaldust2025-07-17 16:10

    We have many members on the HEF looking for mechanics and operators, hopefully you can connect. I remember Blue-Fox out on the Kenai, was looking. He even put up some bunk houses to try and recruit from the L48.

  7. #7BC Placer gold2025-07-18 03:04

    Welcome from Canada! This forum is top notch- good luck!