Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Miner

Wrench_one ยท 2011-01-09 10:39

Well its a little off topic but still classifies as earthmoving equip. Here is a freshly overhauled JOY 14-9AA continuous miner that we got last year.

Replies8
  1. #1willie592011-01-09 10:44

    Nice pic. I like the DOT reflective tape on the side. I don't expect that hangs around long once it gets in the hole.

  2. #2coalrulz2011-01-09 18:29

    looks like that miner is for low coal. How thick are the coal seams at that mine? Nice lookin miner. Joy has a very good reputation.

  3. #3Wrench_one2011-01-09 21:40

    Our company specializes in low vein coal. This mine is here in Ohio in the #7 seam bitumious coal. The seam is 42" .... On a good day!

  4. #4alco2011-01-09 23:41

    That's pretty cool, I love underground stuff. Feel free to post as many more as you can.

  5. #5Wrench_one2011-01-10 18:43

    alco, we just got in a Brand new Fletcher twin boom roof bolter today! I will try and remember the camera tomorrow and have a few more pics.

  6. #6Hammer & Nails2011-01-10 19:46

    I know nothing about this equipment. Does it have a belt in the center to remove the coal? Neat pic. I have never seen a machine like that before.

  7. #7Stevenbrla2011-01-10 21:03

    Yea, cool pic... feel free to explain what is does, and how it does it!

  8. #8BB642011-01-11 17:59

    To save Wrench_one some typing, check out theoildrum.com's "Tech Talk" series for info from "Heading Out"; he's a former mining professor who did a whole series of postings about the technology to get coal out of the ground. I found The Oil Drum during the Deepwater Horizon mess and still read occasionally - lots of really knowledgeable posters from a totally different world than HEF.