Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New OLD guy in Cave Creek AZ with a new old bucket truck problem.

OffRoadSHO · 2021-02-24 15:39

Hey guys, just joined and I have a problem with a new to me insulated bucket truck I just got at auction. The bucket is moved by hydraulics of course but the hydraulic pump is powered by 4 12 volt batteries instead of by engine driven PTO or generator. It runs the pump all the time, not just when you pull the trigger up in the bucket. It is a fully insulated 37' unit and was made by Versalift, but I can't find a wiring diagram at the dealer or online. Since their are no conductive wires or hoses connecting the bucket to the lower pump assembly, I assume they use some sort of air switch to signal when the operator wants the pump to run. Anybody know anything about these insulated bucket trucks? Thanks. Tom

Replies7
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-02-24 17:00

    Howdy Everyone on here is a bucket truck pro except me-someone will come along shortly.

  2. #2Tones2021-02-24 17:09

    The bucket trucks I have seen use a hydraulic pump coupled to the engine to work the boom with an ancillary source for emergency . It's a OH&S requirement here in Australia, maybe there too.

  3. #3mg23612021-02-25 05:14

    Welcome to HEF OffRoad !

  4. #4funwithfuel2021-02-25 05:55

    This goes way way back and may not pertain to what you are experiencing. I had a man lift on an older Ford I think it was hi-ranger. Anyhow, the joystick had a deadman grip. It was kinda like a grip safety on a 1911. You'd have to squeeze the deadman which was like its own little master cylinder, it would actuate a little slave which trigger a relay to control the hydraulic pump drive, from there everything ran off pumps. The complaint was "no function " but I can see how it might, might relate to what you have. Good luck and be careful.

  5. #5Delmer2021-02-25 08:39

    None of this story sounds right, how about a picture of the underside of the bucket controls, and the hydraulic pump? It should be obvious what's in the control circuit to turn the electric pump on and off, have you looked into that? Is it old enough that it was built before the requirements Tones mentioned? Sorry, I don't know how old that would be, but getting way past 30 years I'd guess.

  6. #6JLarson2021-02-25 23:23

    Versalift did at one time, maybe still does offer DC powered and generator powered hydraulic unit options on their lifts, their smaller lifts only require a few GPM's. I think there's supposed to be a control unit back there with the batteries and pump.

  7. #7Coaldust2021-02-26 02:38

    OffRoadSHO, Hello and welcome. Good to have you here at the HEF. Can’t help with your bucket truck. The Versalift service and install manuals are fairly easy to find in PDF format on the interwebs. That rig might make a great deer stand.